Elven History date formate

Alavatar

Baron
Say you're writing an elven history that dates back "thousands of years". What format do you use for what year an event transpires in that history?

I ask because I have seen both the year 613 and 1013 used for Fortannis, but I haven't seen any explanation for something that is "thousands of years" ago and how to denote the historical periods.

Any thoughts?

That would vary from campaign to campaign, and might even vary from Kingdom to Kingdom within a campaign. I'd reach out to your local plot team to see how the local scholars record time.

It would still hold that you would use the numbering convention for the chapter, though if I were writing it I'd have a seperate Elven calendar that has it's year One at some significant historical point for the elves. Then you just have to say that the Elven Year 4562 corresponds (to use the year in Ashbury) to the Human year 614 and let the Elven PCs make fun of humans because they were teenagers when time "started" according to human historians.

Unless the Elves are integrated into another culture they'd likely have their own calendar that they use amongst themselves, only worrying about the calendars used by other societies when trade or diplomacy are involved.

Heck, given the Elven lifespan a single turning of the seasons isn't all that long a time, with HQ Elves using a Cycle (one year) and a Span (10 years) as rough month and year equivelents.

Back