Elves

Cúangol

Artisan
Hello,

I played at Ashbury once last year and am planning to rebuild before my second game in October.

I seem to recall that there are several types of elves, but I don't see them in the rulebook. But perhaps I recall incorrectly?

If I do need to choose a type of elf, then I'll need to work it into my character history which I submit a week before playing. Obviously waiting until game day for a race packet is unrealistic. Can someone tell me about the elf types? Or, is it possible for someone in Ashbury logistics to mail me one?

phedre said:
ashburylog@gmail.com is HQ logistics.

Individual race packets are not in the rulebook, as there is at least one for each race in each chapter. Cept humans. We get screwed sometimes. :oops:

If by 'screwed' you mean 'don't have to fiddle with spirit gum, makeup, and prosthetics first thing in the morning'. ;)

In Ashbury, there are the "wild" elves (kiergani), the Amani elves from the Ash Forest, and the "high" elves from the neighboring kingdom, each with their own race packet.

Wraith said:
phedre said:
ashburylog@gmail.com is HQ logistics.

Individual race packets are not in the rulebook, as there is at least one for each race in each chapter. Cept humans. We get screwed sometimes. :oops:

If by 'screwed' you mean 'don't have to fiddle with spirit gum, makeup, and prosthetics first thing in the morning'. ;)

No, I mean that some chapters don't have human race packets.

In Ashbury, there are the "wild" elves (kiergani), the Amani elves from the Ash Forest, and the "high" elves from the neighboring kingdom, each with their own race packet.

How does one choose between these, without seeing them first?

Is a bit more information written about them somewhere? I see some writing on the Amani in the Ashbury player's guide, but nothing about Kiergani/Wild elves, or High elves. I also recall some about the Amani from Arch Enemies, but I don't recall any references to the other elf types in Arch Enemies nor the few short stories a read. Can you point me somewhere?

Thanks!

Cúangol said:

Is a bit more information written about them somewhere? I see some writing on the Amani in the Ashbury player's guide, but nothing about Kiergani/Wild elves, or High elves. I also recall some about the Amani from Arch Enemies, but I don't recall any references to the other elf types in Arch Enemies nor the few short stories a read. Can you point me somewhere?

Thanks!

The "High Elves" (they don't call themselves that, though) are in the neighboring kingdom of Imladar. The wild elves are mentioned in the sections on the Ash Forest, and in the history sections...

A VERY basic description is this: The wild elves are more nomadic and closer to tribes, almost like barbarian (or, if you prefer, Native American). Amani live in cities and larger areas (although sometimes these "cities" are in the trees) and are looked down upon by the kiergani as being "house elves" (which was a term used before Harry Potter!). Imladari are peaceful elves who live in amazing cities with a great appreciation of art, philosophy, and architecture. (That was a VERY basic distinction, mind you). All of them abide by the basic elven things you see in the Rule Book (a love of nature, celebrations, and so on).

ALSO: A disclaimer -- my novels (and the short story collection) tale place in the world of Fortannis but are fiction in-game since they do not follow the in-game history exactly. There are no stone elves or dark elves or kiergani or anything in the books because, hey, there is no need to complicate the story for readers who know nothing of our game. Maybe in sequels.

Maybe one of our heavy duty elves players might like to give more details about the elves?

Cúangol said:

Thanks!

Yeah, you have just discovered one of my favorite ironies about this game. You can't read the racial packet for a race until you make a character of that race. So, you have no way to make a meaningful history for your character in advance. Furthermore, you might discover that the personality and history you did plan for your character is in direct contradiction with the racial packet.

-MS

If you're worried about your character concept not fitting in with the local race packet, you have some options:

1) Send your basic concept to Plot and ask "Can this work within the local setting?" before worrying about the details.
2) Have your character be from "elsewhere" in the Mists. This can be another chapter or another place entirely.
3) Change your concept, or even your race.

In any of these situations, you'll want to work with your local Plot team so that they can help to guide you toward a meaningful history for the setting which you will also enjoy playing.

-Luke

mikestrauss said:
Cúangol said:

Thanks!

Yeah, you have just discovered one of my favorite ironies about this game. You can't read the racial packet for a race until you make a character of that race. So, you have no way to make a meaningful history for your character in advance. Furthermore, you might discover that the personality and history you did plan for your character is in direct contradiction with the racial packet.

-MS

Strauss, are race packets (not national Race Packet) just guide lines any way? Can't you abandon them if they didn't fit your origonal idea?

Heck I played a Dwarf when Matt Sims was writing a packet for them, that didn't come out until about 10-15 years later.

Gilwing said:
Strauss, are race packets (not national Race Packet) just guide lines any way? Can't you abandon them if they didn't fit your origonal idea?

You can write a history that says you're from Mars or the reincarnation of a dragon or whatever you want! But, until it is approved by the local Plot team, your character is either delusional or just making stuff up.

Personality-wise, though, you can be forcibly race transformed if you are not "acting your race".

Alavatar said:
Gilwing said:

You can write a history that says you're from Mars or the reincarnation of a dragon or whatever you want! But, until it is approved by the local Plot team, your character is either delusional or just making stuff up.

Personality-wise, though, you can be forcibly race transformed if you are not "acting your race".

Acting like an elf is completely different then acting like a "High elf". That's why I said NOT national Race Packets, using those, yes you must act accordingly. But race packets are an LCO "flavor" thing.

So do I get race changed because my Dwarf was played YEARS before a race packet was made for it? Do I now all of a sudden need to change my character to the ones that were written about 5 years ago or so?

Again, they are more of guide lines to add "flavor" (yum yum) to your character.

By all means I'm not saying that plot is not going to give your character a heck of a time for it, for example a Elf race packet that forbids inter racial mating and now has a child that is not an Elf. I'm sure the elders won't find that too appealing.

Alavatar said:

I know a few people this needs to happen to.

Dom said:
Alavatar said:

I know a few people this needs to happen to.

Bring it up to chapter staff (GM, Owner, Head of Plot, those types of people). They're the ones that have the power to talk to players about not adhering to racial requirements.

Back