Empowerments and 2.0

That was my initial impression as well, but then @Draven clarified that he meant it was a current rule, so I asked what I asked.

Arg. I knew there were two sentences regarding TE limitations. I thought one was item and other was character. But they’re just meant to clarify one empowerment on an item period.

Yeah, @tieran is correct. 1.3 only limits it to 1
per item. I’d like to point out that that since

1) empowerments are 5 day effects at most in 1.3
2) Empowerments absolutely Add Power, which is strictly checked in 2.0
3) Durations are now extended

I’d say there’s overwhelming justification to limit it to 1 per character, and it’s “locked” for the event.

Yeah, it’s oddly phrased. The first sentence restricts a true empowered item from having any other empowerments of another type, while the second restricts it from having any other empowerments of the same type.

That aside, personally, I think a restriction to one TE per person would potentially just lead to either people not wanting them, which robs ritual casters of the opportunity to use their “cool thing” or people playing stupid games with magic items.

As to your three points:
1) The residual flaw from a TE can last far longer than the 5 days in 1.3.
2) Everything about all the empowerments has always been about adding power, which is frequently checked in 2.0, but not exclusively.
3) Durations (of magic items?) are converted to a different system. Your one year item may last longer under the new system or you may burn through it in 6 months. It depends on how often you play.

Justification, perhaps, but not overwhelming.

Last edited:
That’s a pretty unique way to go about it, I like it.

As for the effect, is it decided before the casting or based on quality of the ritual RP? Or is that just however each chapter does it?

I like that process myself. I sent it to the Denver plot team with my endorsement.

Mike

That’s a pretty unique way to go about it, I like it.

As for the effect, is it decided before the casting or based on quality of the ritual RP? Or is that just however each chapter does it?

Generally speaking, the process around here has worked something like:

Caster informs Plot ahead of time "hey, I'll be Empowering <Ritual X>. <Marshal Z> will be marshaling it."
Plot ruminates.
Plot informs <Marshal Z> that the Empowerment could be A, B, or C, depending on the Ritual roleplay.
<Marshal Z> marshals <Ritual X>.
<Marshal Z> makes their best determination of A, B, or C, and logs it as the final Empowerment that happens.

We want to both promote roleplay and try to keep things as objective as possible. It's a fine line, but I hope we've handled it reasonably well over the 1.3 period, and I expect 2.0 to continue in this vein.

-Bryan

Back