Endow and Carrying PSA

beboped

Rogue
Marshal
At the last game, we had a number of issues with players improperly trying to pick up and carry incapacitated characters. In at least one case, this led to an injury for the player being picked up. This is a summary of all the picking up and carrying rules, to make sure we avoid these kinds of injuries and confusions in the future.

Part of the problem is that rules for carrying are spread around the ARB. For simplicity's sake, I am going to state the rules concisely, then follow with a discussion of their derivation from the ARB.

The first rule, as always, is Safety. Please try your hardest to ensure that you, your target, and anyone else around is out of game safe at all times.

To pick up an incapacitated character at any time, you must:
1) Wait until they have stopped moving (falling down, being carried by another player, etc.)
2) Move to within touching distance of your target
3) Indicate to your target that you are picking them up
4) Call the appropriate verbal.

Indication requires that you get the attention of your target. This can be done in two ways: verbally, or with a light touch. In combat, the preference should be to follow the "No Body Contact" rule and get attention verbally. If this is not reasonable due to the noise of combat, then a light touch is acceptable. Under no circumstances should you actually attempt to grab the other player or any part of their clothing or costuming. Doing so may be justification for a verbal warning from a Marshal.

Appropriate Verbals:
-If you have neither an Endow nor Strength: "I pick you up 1, I pick you up 2, I pick you up 3"
-If you have an Endow: "Endow, I pick you up"
-If you have Strength: "Monster Strength, I pick you up"

"I pick you up" is required for Endow and Strength, because otherwise neither your target nor other players know what you are doing with your Endow or Strength. Remember also that 3-counts are intended to take at least 3 seconds to complete, and that rushing your count may lead to your target appropriately calling "No Effect".

Once you have finished the verbal, then you may move without waiting for the player to get up. If you do not have an Endow or Strength, then you must move at a walk, as if Diseased. If you have an Endow or Strength, you may immediately run, for up to 5 seconds with Endow or 10 seconds with Strength. At the end of those 5/10 seconds, you may activate a recast Endow or reactivate Strength only if your target is within touching distance. This does mean you need to wait for the player to catch up after the initial 5/10 second run. You do not need to actually touch them to reactivate the ability, but you do need to call "Endow" or "Monster Strength" again.

Detailed Explanation/Citations

The primary rules for carrying bodies are found on page 87 & 117 , of the ARB:
Pg 87
Carrying People
Certain effects like Endow and Strength allow a player to physrep things that are normally impossible to do, like grab another person (regardless of comparative weights) and run for a short time. To facilitate this, and in the spirit of “Be all you can’t be,” this means that the player with the Endow or Strength must only indicate to the other player that they are being picked up and transported. They do not need to specifically wait for the person to clamber to their feet and follow along (though clearly the person being transported should make their best effort to get to where they should be as soon as possible).
Please keep in mind to remember the spirit of the rules. These abilities are meant to allow players to do things that would be impossible in the real world, and some suspension of disbelief is thus required to allow them to function as intended. As always, should people manipulate the rules to circumvent their spirit, it is expected that Marshals will deal with the situation appropriately.
Counted Actions
Some actions cannot actually be performed for reasons of safety or reality, but must be considered as taking some time to complete. Such actions will have a specific count, usually three, and a definite phrase to indicate what is happening.
Pg 117
Endow

This spell can also be used to perform certain limited role-playing tasks such as quickly dragging an unconscious or debilitated creature for five seconds without having to literally perform
the task out-of-game. You must state “Endow” when doing these actions. This is an out of game statement and can be made while under the effects of Silence.

One of the generally accepted cases of actions requiring a three-count under normal situations is picking bodies up. The usual verbal phrase is "I pick you up 1, I pick you up 2, I pick you up 3", though you can use an alternate wording that communicates the same information if you desire. In addition, you cannot run while carrying bodies. Endow and Strength allow you to circumvent this restriction, picking someone up without a 3-count and running for a duration defined by the ability (5 seconds for Endow, 10 seconds for Strength). However, the wording under "Endow" does not allow you to skip the descriptive phrase required under the "Counted Actions" heading. From a practical point of view, this also makes sense: just touching a player and calling "Endow" doesn't tell them what you are doing with that Endow. Note that historically in Oregon and Seattle calling "Active Endow" or "Activate Endow" has been the usual practice; adding the extra word is not wrong, but it is also not necessary.

The restriction of waiting for your target to get within touching distance before reactivating the ability is from an ARC ruling, intended to limit the amount of time that actions are not being clearly phys repped.

In combat, there is also the no body contact rule on pg 93:
Body Contact: The only contact allowed during battle is by weapon. Any other type of fighting contact such as grabbing someone, hitting, or kicking is strictly forbidden.

This rule has a small number of well defined exceptions, including touching someone to indicate that you wish to pick them up. However, the spirit of this rule must still be followed, using only the minimum amount of contact required. In the case of picking up a body, this means using a light touch to get your target's attention, and then refraining from touching them thereafter.

Last edited:
I agree with this post wholeheartedly, except for one quibble. Monster Strength allows running for 10 seconds, not 5. Everything else is awesome.

Additionally, you can totally recast an Endow, you just can't -activate- it until the player has caught up with you.

Thank you, Brian, for posting the full rules and explanations. Hopefully there won't be this problem next game.

Thanks for the comments Ben and Evan, I've edited the text to reflect them.

Thanks for posting this, Brian.

Back