Endow Ripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
So, at last Oregon event, Bryan stated that an endow rip out of entangle was a three-count. Based on the recent Weakness/Rip thread on Marshals, there's apparently still confusion.

Thus, I ask ARC, what is the appropriate way to use Endow to rip free of Entangle?

The thread referenced (http://alliancelarp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=16322) has two separate (and distinct) answers, only one of which applies to the question which was asked.

The question which was asked:

Billy Bobcat has enough strength to rip a Confine, but not after he gets weaknessed. Here's my question.

If he starts his rip count, and I weakness him after he starts, can he finish the count? It does he need to have "sufficient strength" at both the beginning and the end of the count?

The two answers:

I would rule that the weakness interrupted the count, that you need to have the requisite Monster Strength at all times during the rip count to continue it.

Ripping from Entangle with an Endow is not a three count. The call is "Endow: I rip free," or "Endow: I break you free." (For using it on others.)

Both answers are correct, though the second references a question which was not asked. Note that ripping free from an Entangle with an Endow is completely separate and distinct from the "Escape Binding" ability that many creatures with Monster Strength have:

Escape Binding: Some creatures can rip free from binding spells. This is a three-count action with the phrase “I rip out one, I rip out two, I rip out three.” While the creature is doing the three-count, it is vulnerable to attack. While ripping free, the creature may not use any skill requiring movement, such as Dodge...

Endow lists:

An Endow will also allow a recipient to break free, or to break someone else free, from an Entangle. However, doing so immediately expends the benefit of the spell. You must state “Endow , I break you free” when doing so. This is an out-of-game statement and can be made while under the effects of Silence.

All of these questions are clearly answered by the rulebook and I don't see any unanswered questions in the referenced thread. Please make sure that questions posted in this forum are not clearly answered in the rulebook.

Thanks,
Bryan Gregory
ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back