Engulf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I be Engulfed by a monster while in a prison? If so what happens?

Thanks,

Paul

PS- Chicago PCs... zero foreshadowing here.

You bet you can:
ARB pg. 69 said:
The creature may also engulf a victim that it has Prisoned with a three-count of "I engulf you one, I engulf you two, I engulf you three, prison down."
~ Alexander
SoMN Rules Marshal

Upvote 0
I though so too.. until last night while proctoring a marshall test :)

"Q-Carl the Cannon has cast a Prison spell on himself, can he be Engulfed by a monster?"

"A-No. The prison would need to be removed first"

I assume the RB has precedence here but I laughed soda out of my nose last night. :)

Paul

Upvote 0
You can be engulfed by a monster if you are in its own prison, as per delivering a killing blow.

You cannot be engulfed if you are in anyone else's.

Upvote 0
Or, can you be engulfed but you're still in your prison while inside the thing (which protects you from the killing blow, but not the physical engulf)?

Upvote 0
It sounds like the idea of 'being engulfed while in your own prison' would fall under a grey area. I am not particularly aware of any specific rules that address this concern although I would suggest that would kind of be up to the local plot staff/team to decide how that would work for particular monsters.

It would make sense to me that you could still be engulfed but no KB'd so that once you're prison runs out you take a KB and then start you're 5 minute death count, but again I don't think there is a specific rule on this.

Obviously as Alexander pointed out a monster that has put you in 'it's prison can engulf you/prison down like a KB

Upvote 0
I personally like the idea of you being engulfable while inside any Prison, and you start your Death count whenever the Prison drops, whenever that is. Thinking about it from an in-game perspective: Why should being covered in a layer of force make you unable to be swallowed in a monster's gullet, when usually swallowing folks whole is no issue for said monster?

Upvote 0
After a book check the answer appears to be you cannot engulf someone in a prison not of your own casting. The relevant text:

A creature with this ability may engulf anyone
that is asleep, unconscious, dead, entangled,
webbed, confined or paralyzed on a three- count
of “I engulf you one, I engulf you two, I engulf
you three.”
The creature may also engulf a victim that
it has Prisoned with a three-count of “I engulf
you one, I engulf you two, I engulf you three, prison down.

That sets a clear list of valid targets for engulf ans specifically mentions Prisons cast by the engulfing creature only.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back