Enhance Signature Spell + Foundation's Armament

Foundation's Armament lets you double the damage of a signature spell when using a Foundation Strike. My question is:
1: Does the Enhance Signature Spell high magic work with Foundation Strike?
2: Would Enhance Signature Spell + Foundation's Armament let you double the signature spell twice?

1. No.

2. N/A

Is this stated somewhere in the rulebook? I was looking through the current rulebook and the 2.1 draft and I was unable to find anything about this.

I think this falls into the various places where it reflects that you can't funnel two different resources into a single skill.

For the strike, your expending a spell from memory. 1 skill fuels 1 skill. Which is the consistent stable since 2.0

Enhanced + Spell, is now 2 skills fueling 1 skill.

This doesn't work for the same reason you can not battle or memory strike an enhanced signature spell. Because no skill needs or can benifit from more than 1 skill combined into it.

Now, as a signature spell from memory, the encantion assumes the Strike keyword, so your enhanced spell is still enhanced and still a strike, you just need to use packet delivery instead of Weapon.

It's a similar reason that a Scholar can not Elemental Manipulat an Enhanced spell from memory. While it would be awesome to throw Elemental Strike 90 "x"... it also would be expending 2 abilities into a single skill.

Now, I do think we could probably save a lot of explanations in the various skills that have this potential interaction. As most of the martial/stealth skills are ready explicitly state how they interact and what they can not interact or combine with. I think a blanket section prembling the skills explaining the "no skill can be fueled by more than 1 skill" we could probably edit down and remove a lot of the words on the skills that each explain the same concept as relevant to the skill it's repeated in. It would also make the blanket rule much easier to find instead of needing to cite the individual skills that have this explination.

I think this falls into the various places where it reflects that you can't funnel two different resources into a single skill.

For the strike, your expending a spell from memory. 1 skill fuels 1 skill. Which is the consistent stable since 2.0

Enhanced + Spell, is now 2 skills fueling 1 skill.

This doesn't work for the same reason you can not battle or memory strike an enhanced signature spell. Because no skill needs or can benifit from more than 1 skill combined into it.

Now, as a signature spell from memory, the encantion assumes the Strike keyword, so your enhanced spell is still enhanced and still a strike, you just need to use packet delivery instead of Weapon.

It's a similar reason that a Scholar can not Elemental Manipulat an Enhanced spell from memory. While it would be awesome to throw Elemental Strike 90 "x"... it also would be expending 2 abilities into a single skill.

Now, I do think we could probably save a lot of explanations in the various skills that have this potential interaction. As most of the martial/stealth skills are ready explicitly state how they interact and what they can not interact or combine with. I think a blanket section prembling the skills explaining the "no skill can be fueled by more than 1 skill" we could probably edit down and remove a lot of the words on the skills that each explain the same concept as relevant to the skill it's repeated in. It would also make the blanket rule much easier to find instead of needing to cite the individual skills that have this explination.

Would you be so kind as to reference the section of the rules for this? A question was recently brought up regarding...
Combined Strike "Once purchased, the character may expend any Signature Spell from memory as “X Spell Strike ” Note FROM memory.
Foundation Strike "The character may, once per Logistics period per purchase, expend a Celestial Signature Spell from memory as " note FROM memory.
Enhance Signature Spell Times ever. "This High Magic may be expended to double the numeric value of one Signature Spell from memory" note FROM memory.

I may have missed it, but what rulebook rule/page has where you can not chain this effect?

When I tried finding it I could not find the specific rule other than you can't combine the exp to gain abilities (i.e. 30 points in martial and 30 points in stealth to gain an ability)

But using Enhanced spell on a spell in memory, then using foundation strike + combined strike (which states these two work together) which calls for a spell in memory doesn't seem to have anything as written that disallows this?

As a quick edit, there are some rituals that are specific and state you can not double a spell and put in say a spell store item. It seems as a precedent that this would be a thing added for these abilities?

thanks

Last edited:
To my knowledge there was not a black and white rule in 2.0 but it was ARCs decision as I have described. Basically, a skill which needs fuel is a square hole and will only fit a single square peg...

I had hoped that such an interpretation was codified into 2.1, but I haven't yet found it in the parts that I've read.

So, knowing this question exists, if after 2 years of writing/testing and public beta tests.... such a discription either should exist to answer the question once and for all not only for existing players but new players (as fun marshal questions are usually asked by newer players because the book doesn't say something)... then I'm of the <with zero authority> that if the book doesn't say it, then its not a rule. Any time the book says "in this skill...." then the rule applies to that one skill, not all skills.

But, I very much hope that the flat discription exists and I just haven't read it yet... as by now there is no reason it shouldn't if that's the standard and expectation we want to have.

I think the best way to think about it is that once you apply any of those effects, it is no longer from memory. For instance, Enhance signature doubles the numerical damage of a spell from memory, but once you apply that, it is now cast via enhanced signature, not memory. Your memory can only hold base, unchanged spells.

I think the best way to think about it is that once you apply any of those effects, it is no longer from memory. For instance, Enhance signature doubles the numerical damage of a spell from memory, but once you apply that, it is now cast via enhanced signature, not memory. Your memory can only hold base, unchanged spells.
The only issue with that line of thinking is you are casting the spell at that point via spell strike through your foundation strike. So that would allow it.

It is a valid interpretations either direction. Both are good.

Where they become not valid is the MtG order of operations and the explicit detail of how skills interact.

As numerous skills explicitly detail how they work and how they dont.... any skill which does not have this explicit detail functions however you are able to creatively achieve it.

Short of any over arching skill rules which create a cover to cover baseline. Which may or may not exist in 2.1 draft 4.

Any thing else is personal interpretation of what the rules say versus what they mean. If after 2 years of public testing and 3 teams having eyes and hands in the pie regarding a known issue in 2.0... any absence of rules to explicitly codify what is "meant" to remove this question, is not included deliberately. So, rules as written win the day, and different chapters can make the decisions aligned with the theme/scope/design of what works for them and their players.

If the rules do not say you can't do it, and your staff doesn't have a problem with it, and such enhances the story and fun for players. The rule of cool story is more important, and it's possible. But ensuring the rules don't say you can't do it >and< that the plot staff approve... >and< such creates fun instead of detract fun.... are the golden applications that prevent "doesn't say I cant" from being a "problem"

Last edited:
Back