Enslavement Antidote Mixed in Water?

Dante said:
I see your point, and I realize that the rules protect this method of action, but I still see it as exploiting an oversight moreso than anything else.
I have my purify elixer in my potion bag, and some thick cranberry juice which is being used to physrep blood. Flamingo Scavenger-Vampire Lord Mortegue walks into town, sits in the tavern, and demands the blood of Schkvelein the earth mage be served to him in a glass or woe betide the town who would defy him. The highbies are busy with the magic sword getting mod, and the only ones defending the tavern are me, Schkvelein, and afew other low levels, making an offensive reaction out of the question (he has our number in flamingo-ghouls). Thinking quickly, I grab Schkvelein, drag him into another room, tell him to scream while I empty my physrepped blood into a glass, physrep emptying my container of purify potion into a glass, and then empty my physrepped blood into the vial to represent the contents. I then walk back out into the main room, and offer this glass to Mortegue, the liquid looking, tasting, and smelling just like blood IG, because theres nothing established that purify potions can't taste and smell like blood, and its not alchemical, so Mortegue's scenting ability is useless to detect it. Hell, I dont even need the cranberry juice. I can use water and say it tastes/smells like blood, because thats my intended look and smell of purify elixers, and no one wants me drawing my own blood to physrep it. Potions dont need physrepped liquid to begin with, so I could even hand him an empty mug and tell him oog that there appears to be blood in there. Their are no rules governing this type of potion/elixer use, and theres a lot of room for exploitability in just allowing them to be as big, look and taste as you want it to.
1st off, its purify potion, not elixer. 2nd yes, you can have a potion that looks tastes like blood. And if the victum (be it a PC or NPC) doesnt have the healing arts skill, and/or doesnt take the time to check if the liquid is a potion, then its their fault. Its just like if I grab all of slice's (as an example) bottles and start drinking them. I might get elixers, I might get potions, I might get nothing and I might get a normal drinkable (or something like heartwater). If i dont bother to check, then its my fault IG for not checking, no matter what it looks/smells like.

The trick with alchemy and elixers is that you can add it to an exsisting food, but thats an entirely diffrent issue.

I corrected myself about the potion/elixer thing many times..guess I missed one. sorry.

But as I said, I realize that the rules protect this, so I suppose this comes down to a difference of opinion, seeing as there are no rules which explicitly allow, or dissalow such use of potions or elixers.
One mans exploit is another mans inventive, crafty scheme.

Dante said:
I corrected myself about the potion/elixer thing many times..guess I missed one. sorry.

But as I said, I realize that the rules protect this, so I suppose this comes down to a difference of opinion, seeing as there are no rules which explicitly allow, or dissalow such use of potions or elixers.
One mans exploit is another mans inventive, crafty scheme.
The point I am trying to make is this, its not an exploit becouse the rules have a way for you to detect potions or elixers. No matter what a drink looks like, if you dont use the skills to make sure its not a potion/elixer then you dont know for sure it isnt, since there isnt on "look" to a potion. I mean, if plot had a lot of money, and wanted to give out potion tresures in glass drinking bottles full of soda, as long as the tags were done right, and the bottles more than the required size, its all good.

Kauss said:
The point I am trying to make is this, its not an exploit becouse the rules have a way for you to detect potions or elixers. No matter what a drink looks like, if you dont use the skills to make sure its not a potion/elixer then you dont know for sure it isnt, since there isnt on "look" to a potion. I mean, if plot had a lot of money, and wanted to give out potion tresures in glass drinking bottles full of soda, as long as the tags were done right, and the bottles more than the required size, its all good.

point taken and understood, but I think that leaves too much up to rules mechanics, and is exploitable.
I think its lame, and broken, that my purify elixer can look, smell, and taste like anything from blood to pineapple juice if it suits my purpose. It would be a very simple game mechanic to say that, for example, all potions and elixers have no smell or taste. This wouldnt make anything readilly identifiable, as there are a lot of real world things that have no real smell, and to taste anything in a large enough quantity to use that as a guideline would require consuming the potion/elixer, and it would prevent you from being able to serve a vampire a goblet of blood-look-and-smell-alike purify elixer. The vampire would know that the liquid wasnt blood, it lacking the distinct coppery smell, but he wouldnt know what it was for certain. That alone would fix this exploit, and it would require no change on any players part, unless of course, someone has a character built around crafting the most delectable potions in the known world, in which case, im sure something could be aranged from a plot perspective.

as the rules stand, I can give vampires goblets of purify-potion blood, turn on a dime, and celebrate victory with pina colada flavoured cure wounds potions...and also, from an in game perspective, destroy the beverage economy hand over fist because I felt like making my cure wounds potions taste, smell, and look identacle to the finest dwarven ale, brewed with techniques lost to the ages and past by word of mouth to the master ale crafters after hundreds of years of training, and miles of contracts and a thousand and seven oaths of secrecy.

This beverage entrepenour idea is protected by the rules, and is exploitive for every reason that the vampire scenario is...even arguably less so, since blood is a natural fluid, not something you can brew

Curious- Do you have to specify at creation what it smells like? Or does the alchemy skill allow you to change the scent?

kasuni said:
Curious- Do you have to specify at creation what it smells like? Or does the alchemy skill allow you to change the scent?

No. There is no rule or mechanic in the game concerning the color, taste, smell, texture, or quantity of liquid that the potion is. Because of this, you can decide at the drop of a hat what you want these things to be in your potion, if you approach it from a "the rules dont prohibit it so..." perspective

I think the act of doing so is sketchy at best. The rules don't technically prohibit it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the plot team were to shoot an attempt to do so down.

Shikar al'Basteua said:
I think the act of doing so is sketchy at best. The rules don't technically prohibit it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the plot team were to shoot an attempt to do so down.

a very heartwarming thing to hear

and an edit to my last post: there is a guideline of minimum quantity (1/4 ounce) but no maximum.

Back