Epoxy for Composite bow

Jevedor

Fighter
New Hampshire Staff
Crossroads Staff
What is a good epoxy to use to make a composite bow and also where would i go to get it?

What are you using the epoxy to for? Are you trying to secure more than one piece of PVC together to make the bow?

A combination of pvc and kitespar works really well for composite ultra light bows.

Jeremy. Give me a day or two and I'll load up some pictures and specs for really nice bow designs I've used for the last 8 months or so that I've built both out of pvc (bending with a heat gun) and pvc/kitespar composite combination. Its the same one that I came up with a strap for that works really well.

awesome. thanks david.

if you want to share your patented strap design as well i would love to see that too. :D

I'm assuming your trying to make a bow that is built in a similar way to Jen's. Go to a Home Depot-like store (some department stores have them as well) and get epoxy that bonds to fiberglass and plastic; it should be listed on the side of the package.

I don't know if you saw my other pictures Dave, but you saw my bow at nationals and that is a bit different than Jens.

Otherwise yea, Jeremy if your making one like Jens I think that Dave made it, so he could say better than me. ;)

Will you be at the CT May event? If so I'll certainly be able to show you my strap in person there. :D

unless aliens abduct me or something out of the ordinary comes up i will be attending the CT may event. So yeah you can show me then.

Thanks guys

Goop is the best adhesive I've used for this sort of thing. There are a few varieties and a lot of stores carry it in their hardware sections (Target and Walmart come to mind). I think regular hardware stores carry it as well, as well as some craft stores, though craft stores don't always have the heavy-duty variety you'll want.

Goop is in fact really great stuff. Unfortunately I don't think its all that good for our kinds of needs. Its messy and thick. Even if you spread it really thin you wind up with these really hard high points. Personally I use it to reattach blown out boot soles.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... yID=500252 - For connecting PVC/ CPVC to PVC/ CPVC. This is what the pros use when they are running pipes in your house. Always prime first. And BE CAREFUL, primer will stain anything (seriously, even your hands will be purple for a week!). There is no subsitute for this. Those who claim otherwise should check their house for water leaks.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reNum=1261 - This is 5 minute epoxy. It comes in 2 parts that must be mixed together. Use it for adhereing just about anything to just about anything. Work with small batches as this stuff will harden quick. Ensure both sides of whatever you are glueing are both "roughed up" with a little sandpaper. I also swear by Loctite products, if they can keep the bolts tight on my Miata during spec racing I am fairly confident they can handle just about anything else.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reNum=1261 - This 2 part putty does some pretty amazing stuff. There are other types as well specifically suited to your application. Use it to adhere 2 items together that don't fit together snugly. For instance the gap between PVC and kitespar as the inner diameter of 1/2" PVC is much bigger than the outer diamter of the kitespar. You can also use it to fill gaps in plastics. Its sandable, paintable, tapeable and 5 minute epoxy will stick to it.

--Chazz

thanks chazz, but the links dont work for me. Can you just give me the names of the products that the links go to and i will stop by home depot and ask for them.

Huh, they seem to work fine for me. I wonder if its a zip code thing. Here goes anyway. All these products can be found at Home Depot or the hardware store of your choice (provided they sell paint).

PVC Cement and Primer - Found smack in the middle of the plumbing section. Normally comes in 2 cans in a small box.

5 Minute Expoxy - Found in the paint section where they have most adhesives. Most Home Depots have this section right next to where the spray paint is sold.

Plastic Putty - Also found in the paint section, normally right next to the 5 minuite epoxy. Comes in a clear cylinder. There are a variety of this kind of product. Some are for metal, some are for working near water. Find the one that lists all the materials that you will be working with.

--Chazz

Back