Event Please :)

Having done an eight day SCA event- I would suggest the following format rather than a nine day. Do a six or seven day format.

Fri / Sat / Sun /Monday - regular game. Lots O' fun.

Tuesday official "sit on your *** RP day"

Wednesday / Thursday / Friday (wrap up on Friday)

Sat / Sun - official sleep the friggin weekend so you can wake up Monday.

Maybe include some mandatory double-hooking in that too. Or "strongly suggested" double-hooking, just to give everyone a chance to have some fun (and have more than 8 or 10 NPC's).

Honestly, I've done three days as plot and PC and they are hell enough on that fourth day just to stay alive. For my money, if you wanted to do a big spectacular long event, get the sight from thrusday through monday, get staff and monster camp on site on thursday and start setting up traps, lairs, cabins with props, everything and have it all ready to go friday noon. Have a rolling game start as people arrive (at least for some areas, leave some of the stuff as off limits) and go nuts till about sunday midnight, then designate monday morning as RP only (which I think with the exception of random crunchiness should always be the case for last morning of an event. nothing bugs me more than getting into something, getting info on something that should be acted upon or looked into, and then having game called). Believe me that'd be plenty of gaminess for anyone and would allow lots of time for NPC's and such to goof around and get monster packets and loot bags prepped for the weekend.
Just a thought.

Jeff

Sounds painful....but I still think it would be awesome!

Wow. That would be a very, very long event. But fun.

I put in a vote that this happens sometime (after I leave for college). I think it would be nice, but then I was the one who said snow might be fun about 8 months ago. . .

Besides, a nine-day event (or even more than a four-day) would be reason to come back from any place in the country.

Paul...unless you havnt seen snow in years, or you're feet are strapped to several feet of wood and fiberglass on top of a mountain, snow sucks. a lot. I told you, didnt I? Then again, I guess Portlandia hadnt seen snow for a while...
you are excused.

9 Days sound brutal...Id love it though. Perhaps take a day off to sleep if I wasn't feeling hardcore enough, or my stomach and/or wallet started turning inside out from all the energy drinks and horrible insta-foodstuffs (ramen excluded, but even ramen cant last 9 days..).

jpariury said:
BUZZZZZZ!

This past New Years, Portland had enough snow to shut down downtown for almost a week. Just admit it, you're a snow wuss. ;)

Sure... but how much snow is that? A little bit of snow causes havoc here on the west coast, but how much snow does it take to shut down the Twin Cities? A friggin' lot. So while I'm sure you had more than an inch, I cannot imagine it was that big of a snow dump... The snow here in Seattle seems to shut things down too, even though I do not think of it as much snow at all-- Just enough to have fun in. Most people I know are snow wimps... myself included. I've experianced snow in Minnesota and I've had my fill thank you very much!

Sheesh, what's wrong with you people? Snow events are awesome. I miss driving up to Rogy and playing in a foot and a half of snow. Those events were great!

-Bryan

6-8 inches, actually, followed by three days of freezing rain. (In all fairness, the pic of the frozen over jet itself is a pic of a toy jet)

Add to that I've played snow events in Massachusetts back when there were only 3 chapters....

I'll stop now, I'm feeling old....

I played NERO in four-foot drifts, while it rained, uphill, both ways, AND WE LIKED IT! Cuz that the way it wuz...

jpariury said:
I played NERO in four-foot drifts, while it rained, uphill, both ways, AND WE LIKED IT! Cuz that the way it wuz...

...And that was BEFORE we had foam padding covering the PVC.

jpariury said:
BUZZZZZZ!

This past New Years, Portland had enough snow to shut down downtown for almost a week. Just admit it, you're a snow wuss. ;)

I lived in toronto Canada m9st of my life. More than enough experience to state that I hate snow...
but yeah, im a cold wuss

facilities for a big event

Well, Dave, if it is going to take a year to prepare, let's get started. Count me in. I'd be glad to help.

It sounds like a long event will attract record numbers of gamers. How many people are we allowed to have at Millersvania ELC?

Or any ELC for that matter?

Assuming we attract 150+ players, is there a camp we can book to handle this turn out?

preparations...

What would preparation for a nine-day event entail?

How many attendees should we shoot for?

It would probably need to be announced (and the site booked) a year in advance, just to give everyone time to arrange their vacations at work.

Is it possible to get a site for that long during the summer (so the pages don't miss school)?

Elendil the Elf said:
What would preparation for a nine-day event entail?

How many attendees should we shoot for?

It would probably need to be announced (and the site booked) a year in advance, just to give everyone time to arrange their vacations at work.

Is it possible to get a site for that long during the summer (so the pages don't miss school)?

We already do book the sites a year in advance. I know it sounds like a lot of fun guys, but it will not happen in the near future. We have talked about it before and if we did anything like a 5 to 9 day event, it would have been in the form of a "Big West" event, but there are no the resources and time to put that together right now. Maybe in a few years...

Geeze! we barely make it through a long weekend in February, I seriously doubt we'de be able to make 5-6 days, let alone 9!

No, as Jim said we don't have near the resources to make such a thing happen.

What resources would be needed?

What would it take to put such an event together?

Some of the things it would take:

(a) A much larger playerbase -- you will only get a small % of your players who can come to such a long event (I know I couldn't -- I have a job and a family, after all) although many will come to at least part of it.

(b) A *guarantee* of a certain minimum number of players

(c) A *guarantee* of a very large quantity of NPCs who can and will be available throughout the event (this would probably be the most difficult to arrange of these first three things)

(d) A significantly larger staff/plot/marshal/support team

(e) A site which would allow such a game

NERO Seattle is likely years away from having the support it needs in the top 4 areas. Not to knock it -- it's a nicely thriving chapter -- but I don't see it being feasible to try such an event without at least 200 regular PCs, at least 50 or so regular NPCs, and at least 10 full-time plot staff (currently I'd estimate Seattle at somewhere around 80-10-3 for these three areas respectively). That's a big gap to fill. When Seattle has about tripled its current size I could see it being thought about.

Just my guesses :)

-Bryan

You're right.

Better to grow gradually.

Like an extra 3-day event each year.

Then a 4-day.

Etc.

I look forward to watching NERO SEATTLE grow.

Rodge

Back