Event Review: Dragons, Giants and Crows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad so many people are enjoying the golem lair on Sunday! I think that lair was my favorite of the bunch that I wrote.... I just wish I could have seen the puzzle live!

It was so great, damn near died getting that loot out haha

1. Post your favorite moments
All of the singing I got to do and how encouraging everyone was around that. Getting to see things from the perspective of an NPC for a little while. I like the idea of the water balloon siege and just wish less of them had exploded on release.

That Sunday lair, looking back down and saying "I think it's following us". That was hilarious.

2. Post your less favorite moments (if we don't know, we can not fix)
I'll echo everyone else that Friday Night was a little iffy. From the volunteer NPC side, I know I wasn't really prepared for the Party split. There were also a fair number of holds during that combat and it seemed like emotions were a little high so taking a deep breath may be needed next time.

3. What you would like to see more of

4. Give us a moment from the perspective of your character
This was it, this was Artur's moment to shine. Shattrovar had asked for a song for Lord Polaire and I had just the one if I could figure out the words and timing. With respect I approached Lord Polaire and while he prepared his spells for the day I sang what I had. The praise I received was a warm glow in my heart (and the gold didn't hurt either).

5. Please add your thoughts on things we need to review for the 2.0 ruleset
Because we have been so big in helping get 2.0 ready, it can feel like anyone that isn't new to the LARP is fully up on the changes. Please remember that there are some veterans that could not participate in the playtests and are still adjusting.

1. Post your favorite moments

Orc Encampment Mod on Saturday. I really like how the field was used and the tents to actually feel like its an encampment. Ever since the dungeon run, I have been jonesing for more "mechanic" actions (the water balloons were really fun!)
Great RP conversation from Ruki and Evo on Saturday night
Watching the shield wall practice Saturday afternoon before the fight
Seeing Illandra!
Heading up a meeting with the leaders of the guilds to further plan out the Orc Encampment and to disseminate the information to the rest of the town.
Being nervous holding my first town hall meeting. In a good way :)
Fire giants! That's pretty cool seeing Cory and Brooke (and menacing at the same time!) 8ft-10ft high and just chucking spells as we got out of the cavern hallway.
I'll have to echo Randy with chasing after the Warchief that was going after the Strike Team. Just the adrenaline alone was an experience.
Seeing both new and old people come out! Welcome!

2. Post your less favorite moments (if we don't know, we can not fix)

Didn't go on a single mod this month. Mind you, I was busy with meetings and planning. I think this is more on me just not actively going out and searching for lairs and such.
I do agree with everyone with the Avantador fight Saturday night. I stopped going for the tail as it was harming another member of the team if they strayed too far.

3. What would you like to see more of

Obstacle course? :)

4. Give us a moment from the perspective of your character

Arlyne stands at the front of the hall, her heart pounding. People start trickling into the tavern, taking their seats, chatting nonchalantly, having a chuckle. This is something she is not accustomed to at all, being front and center of attention. She would rather be off to the side, supporting her comrades. It was a far cry from how she felt a few weeks ago almost setting the Arcane Sanctums' practice area on fire due to her inner rage. She slowly starts pacing, shaking the nervous jitters out of her arms. She looks down, thinking how shes going to do this by herself, then sees Illandra take a place by her side. Then Master Thistle. And finally, Commander Xamot. She exhales and smiles. It was a good feeling to have, to be supported by her friends. She sees Evo in the crowd and smiles nervously, then nods and clears her throat, "If I can get your attention please..."

5. Please add your thoughts on things we need to review for the 2.0 ruleset
I like the remove skill option :)

Last edited:
A little late, but figured better late than never :) I'll just hit favorite moments as the other points have been well covered already.

Favorite moments:
The event was a lot of fun. I play Alliance over other LARPs because it gives a chance to travel and interact with completely different people in a ton of different chapters, and it's always a blast heading up to Calgary and playing with you guys.

There are too many specifics to list, but here's a sampling of them:
- Getting local foresight on what to expect for various fights and being able to make the most of it. Orcellion's repeated "Voice Arcane Enslavement!" would have kicked Jem and Polare's asses if not for prepping Cloaks against that very thing earlier on. Even so, right afterwards we were running for a dark corner of the woods and scrambling to prep more before she showed back up. Similar situation on the Dragon fight - I think we both Spell Swapped about 5 extra Elemental Shields during the battle just to stay up!
- Adventuring with other characters that Polare has come to know in Calandonia is great, whether it's hanging out in the tavern with Morrigan and Hamish or talking tactics with Evo and Tengu. I can't name everyone (Stig! Phal! Ruki! Mal! Mar! etc. etc. etc.) but I appreciate all of the RP whenever I travel!
- Spending most of the coin I'd bought in one transaction. Polare knows the provenance of those goods quite well in-game, but is always happy to offer a fair price for useful items :)
- Honor duel with Torgahl (sp?). That took guts for him to go through with.
- Artur's song about Polare. Good stuff! You gotta send it over to me when it's done (or come down to Seattle some time and sing it, other folks here would enjoy it thoroughly!).

Thanks for being welcoming to visitors!

-Bryan (player of Polare)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back