Event Review: Festival of Crows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dramm a'dan

Scholar
It's that time again, give us your review of August's event Festival of Crows.

1. Post your favorite moments
2. Post your less favorite moments (if we don't know, we can not fix)
3. What you would like to see more of
4. Gives us a moment from the perspective of your character

Posting rules, respect everyone's views, no debates. Everyone sees things differently.
Reviews got you 15 Goblin Stamps, so make sure you tag your review with your name.

1. My favourite moment was dropping the Circle of Power in the Water Elemental Mod, doing the whole ritual so I can understand it, only to find out it was a Baby... and it's very angry parents were outside where the rest of my friends were... yikes...
2. I am not really fond of player versus player on a whole, but I feel we could easily make these Festival of Crow matches much more balanced.. First to 10 hits for example like the Fighting Pits were back in the day. Less healing, more controlled fighting, and much more honourable..
3. I would like to see more of what I see at Festival of Crows.. I love costuming that signifies a group, or some kind of unity.. I'd love to see that more.
4. Descending through the Portal on a mission to seek the one of the Overlords of Water had his heart pounding, what had happened to his Kin was strange and slightly terrifying. Could he ask another to do the same if it was required. The portal opened into an underwater world unlike he had ever experienced, he breathes heavily, the weight of the water around him, yet with the Asylum protecting him.. he could still breathe. The sound of strange watery laughter was heard around the bend, and I went my way towards it, with many of the Sanctum behind me. It started to toss rubbery water pockets at us, and I caught it gingerly before throwing it back, it seems to be a game of sorts. While this was going on we placed circle of power around her, and I began to cast a ritual that we may communicate with her. After 5 minutes, I said to her, we should be able to understand each other now, she looked at me and coo'd slightly. I reminded her she could speak to me normally and she giggled before pointing at me. "You are a baby... oh goodness." Moments later two powerful watery forms showed up, they were angry demanding to know what I was doing to their daughter... it wasn't long before I let them into the circle.. my heart pounding with what the result might be....

The whole Shiv protecting Illandra thing was fun. I really did like the contests, some of them were hard and some were easy. I loved the idea of my warrior doing interpative dance for one of the hunt items, it was very against the type. I loved the drunk countess, it was very amusing.

Most of the events are fine, I understand the advanages and disadvanatages placed on each. The Grande Melee was new I understand and it a question of how to fix it but there is something of note that three teams couldn't stand against the two top ranked teams, did either of the top placed teams even lose a member?
Suggestion, The Grande Melee is at the end, it a great time to balance things and give everyone a chance so here is my suggestions.
1st third teams lose a member for there team. it can be random or picked by the team which ever seems more fair,
2nd third teams stay the same.
3rd third teams get to add a member, so there alt or if they don't have one, a new member that they fine after the last event before the Grande Melee

More humanizing moments with the nobles, I like it when people feel human rather than a static image.

"You know I do sometimes lose Shatrevar." Says Illandra with a smile.

"Hey I like to think I have a better sense of humour than him." replies Shiv. "Anyway I told him I keep you safe and I have no need to make a High Ogre angry. though I suppose if I had to I could lose him, if I had a head start.

[Addendium Added 8/18/15]

While I have no trouble with the Team up of the top two teams, I hope that they also take into account that basically the bottom three had to ally for any hope of placing well in the Grand Melee. when you are facing two teams with 9 to 11 of the best fighters in the Breach in them, it called a stratigic alliance. I hope no one is going to take any out of game hurt feeling from the Melee, that not a good thing. In game, it is what it is, in game is not going to be "fair"

If one has a issue with what I have said in and out of game, let me know and I will be glad to go over it.

Last edited:
The whole event was great, one of my favorite events ever. I loved the camaraderie between the teams, even as we competed with one another, and I think the grand melee was excellent.
The Grande Melee was new I understand and it a question of how to fix it but there is something of note that three teams couldn't stand against the two top ranked teams, did either of the top placed teams even lose a member?
Our two teams banded together because we were almost certain the other teams were going to join forces against us anyway - as I understand it, we made a big show out of our collaboration in order to make it obvious. We effectively forced the other teams to combine to face us, though it wasn't truly two teams vs. three. The bunnies only fielded four people into the Grand Melee, one of which didn't fight, and Evo also didn't fight at all. It was closer than it seemed - 12 vs 14, rather than 12 vs 18.

I'd like to know how the different events are actually weighted, point-wise. We spend days doing the scavenger hunt, hours doing the 3v3, and mere minutes doing riddles, but from everything I've heard, each individual riddle is worth as much as one of the combat events - which is not at all what the rules document says.
Festival of Crows 2015.pdf said:
The Tournament is broken into seven separate events. Each event is worth 5 points to the winning team, 4 to the team in second place, 3 for the team in third place, 2 for the team in fourth place, and 1 for the team in fifth place.

Can every month be the festival of crows?

Third: "I've just made a deal with Bogar to have a legendary sword made."
Siegart: "Wait, what? I asked him to make me one first, and besides, you don't have that kind of money!"
Third: "So what? I was going to borrow it from you."

When Sevil fell down presenting the gift and when he died multiple times in the champion's battle... I should just shorten this to when Sevil fell down.
When Kova mocked Al Azoun
When Shaman whipped out a digiridoo and then went around and showed everyone Reggie.
When Talon braved his stage fright and stay on stage for our entertainment
When I tried to teach the 8 yr old ******** kid to fight and not to attack any gnolls... and afterwards others told him that's not how you fight and he was missing.
When intoxicated Tiberius was trying to convince me that the sun was a giant fire with wood that never goes out.

When the first event player who paid for the meal plan didn't get a steak Saturday night.
When we were told specific times to be ready for an event and we were there but ended up just sitting around for an hour and wasting time.
When the two strongest teams "Bravehearted" the rest of us.
The bitterness I heard from players when they said they had no chance at winning the grand melee since the plan was to gang up on them after they finished each other off.
The fact that since we didn't have a player with Legerdemain we couldn't do the Rogue Gallery.
Not having Read and Write made me pretty useless in Riddles and the Scavenger hunt

Nothing but Pasties.
Aezir's bare legs... on second thought no.
Reggie
All joking aside - I think the event was ran well.

Becky wanted me to carry her away as a favor from a gypsy since I 'owed' team Cacophony a favour for Tiff helping with the banner. We were standing in line and a beautiful young woman came up and was instantly smitten by my handsome good looks and my poignant smile. She was a beautiful 17 year old woman but something seemed off. She was projecting all her romantic expectations on me at a fast pace, in my head I knew I'd probably help her with only one of those and that would involve removal of clothing. No.... I cannot take advantage of this poor misguided young maiden although the rest of the Sleeping Bunnies and even the quiet Third is cheering me on. I need to handle this right. Ok I'll just play along a little bit. I quickly let her know that I'm busy and a captain. She is more enamored by my awesomeness.... I let her know I need to carry Becky away. She is jealous but thanks to my quick wits she won't tried to kill me. I pick up Becky over my shoulder and head toward the Sleeping Bunnies banner and put her down. I talk to the team. Sevil just gave her the idea of a wedding. That's not good... she's asking me to say I love her. I say it. Need to placate this woman and I can think of a couple of ways to do it. Ah good Sevil offered her some Intoxicate.... That'll help things out. Oh no, it didn't. Now I'm dealing with a beautiful drunk woman who wants me married to her and she wants my Little Yakovs. Oh she has a ring on her wedding finger... Aha! she's married... something was amiss. Good ol intuition. Maybe bad intuition. Quickly someone help me before I make a decision most any other men would make. I scan the crowd in a panic while I hold her close and mouth the words "Help me". Kumari hands me a potion. I feed it to her, it's the antidote. She has no clue who I am. I let her know what has transpired and that I did not take advantage of her. I sent her on her way. I watch her beautiful form leave in bewilderment. Sevil says I should of took her while I had the chance. I may be a gypsy but I'm no scoundrel.

Last edited:

I had so many favorite moments this weekend, let me try to list the ones that come to mind;

a)Being mistaken as the 2nd most powerful team, haha! I'm pretty sure we were 3rd or 4th for the amount of levels we had on our team... seriously Ember is on her 4th character, I'm on my second, Bryan is new and Sam NPC'd for a year.

b) Being a part of a traditional medieval festival, Siegart's background really idolizes the heroic knights of story so the whole weekend I was trying to do the same, whether it was convincing my team to salute at the beginning of every 3s battle, or refusing to group up during 3s and matching weapons for 1v1 duels, even the reverence that I was trying to give to all the nobles. It was a wonderful time for Siegart and it really helped me build my character.

c) The grand melee, honestly that could not have gone more perfectly. Initially we didn't want to team up with team Vasili, I didn't think it would be right for two teams to fight together. I thought about it a little more though and realized that really the only way to deal with team Vasili would be to band together against them, and the more I thought about it the more I realized that that would definitely happen between some or all of the other teams. We knew we weren't going to fight them first because we would undoubtedly lose, and we didn't want to get into a dishonorable 4v1 against them, so we took the 3rd route and decided that even though we were one of the smallest teams, we were going to team up with them to try and give them a fighting chance.... That being said, I had no inkling or hope that we would win! haha!

d) Getting drunk with Sevil. My GOD getting drunk with Sevil, that was some of the most fun I've had at larp and I wanted to say thanks man, your character really came out of you this month and I can't wait to see more!

I really didn't have many from this weekend, I'm sad to see afterwards the lack of sportsmanship from some people but it is what it is, those same people will be happy to be on the same team as the other players in the future so it's not anything serious.

I also thought it was interesting that feats like winning the champions duel or the grand melee equated to the same pointage as answering one riddle or scavenger hunt first.

RP, there was so much of it this weekend and I'm so glad there was! The NPC's were all amazing and the PC's did just as great!

"GEEEH BAGH 'EER GNOOL!!!! IMMA GUN' POKE YOU!"

There are too many good moments. Between NPCs being fantastic at both more serious roles and spectator roles, to being drunk on intoxicates to just being a part of a festival. Briony's personality is finally starting to solidify a bit and even overrode mine in certain moments. This makes me happy. Also, almost dying again... I know I shouldn't post this as a favourite moment, but I fricken love when crazy **** happens and man. I was -just- about to turn and bolt when I got caught on the leg, too.

Some of the bitterness that came from others when we won. It's just a bit deflating. It was my first Festival, and this character is only two events old and to hear a bunch of people all but tell me I cheated into our win kinda stings when we know that others were planning on ganging up against us.
I felt my own rp was hella weak this weekend and I apologize for that. Though I feel like when I did rp, I was beginning to find Briony, I wasn't taking advantage of it often enough.

The political rp that happened was amazing when I saw it. And I adored the banter between npc and pc, even with crunchies, this event.

Blood pumped in her temples, the breath of her chest heaving. It was bloody hot and Mar stood before her, last man left on his team. Her own teammates stood off to the side, watching, grinning. A blow came at her, she moved her shield to intercept and countered. It was a long fight, the bnushy northsman archer was hardy and seemed to barely feel each strike from her sword. She was growing impatient. Impatience could lose her the fight. Her dark eyes flicked to her teammates. Can't let them down. She was the weakest link on the team and she knew it. Had to show she could hold her own. She grinned. It wasn't amusement, though it could have been read that way. No, this was her determining something. She was going to win. She had no other choice. Her *** muscles ached, her knees were sore. the damned shield was getting heavy. So she pushed him, hoping to cow him into submission as her blade sought openings, shield flowing to block counters. She was focused and lost awareness of the onlookers. She had to win.

The whole weekend was amazing I really enjoyed the gallery and having my skills tested :D
me less fav moments are all out of game because of people ragging on us about the grand melee, we won because we practiced as a team and have spared for the last year and a half plus
The political rp and the new traps I really enjoyed them a lot
After falling unconscious while fighting a Elder stone elemental and holding my own for a good while, I hear Mobius talking to it in the circle of power he created, he asks if anyone of us would join with the Elder so that we could get closer to learning more about Al'zoon and how he has the titans in chains. I lift my head from repairing my armor and look around to see if anyone is stepping forth to take this honor, seeing that no one is steping forward and having great respect for the elemental I just fought I step forward and offer myself to him. Waking up I feel myself being pushed out of the Stone Titan and into a room full of obsidian with etchings that seem to be there but not, I quickly take out my pencil and paper that surprisingly made the trip and look down to begin drawing what I saw and I am taken back by noticing that half my body is now stone, I quickly finish my drawings and then rejoin my friends and follow Sanctum members hoping that they wouldn't think differently of me.

Sarryn Remmington (Anthony Percival)

- Ranking up in the Hammer Outfitters. (Yay for moving up in the breach.)
- Having a drink with my guild brothers. It was nice to spend time with them and chat a bit. (HO fo life)
- When Scarlet got his workshop :3 it felt really empowering.
- When Scarlet booked it up the hill to catch the assassin that he had inadvertently led straight to the Dutchess ><' (Talk about awkward)
- Seeing all of the pvp combat to see who would win was really fun to watch.
- going around to the three lower teams to get them outfitted and talk strategy with them, (even though it didn't ultimately do any good haha) but it was wonderfully political and I hope Scarlet can become a person in the breach where he can do a lot more of that.

For starters I really want to apologize to anyone I may have offended this past weekend. There was a reason that I didn't want to compete in the festival, because I'm kinda competitive and... well I tend to get really but hurt when I lose >< just something about the pvp atmosphere brings out the worst in me. (ask any of my friends that play LOL with me) I really hope that this did not cause any irreparable damage between other people's character and mine. Needless to say Scarlet will be perfectly content with watching the festivities next year. (who knows, maybe he'll start a betting ring >:3)
- My least favorite moment would probably be lying in bed in a ridiculous amount of pain while Yetta verbally backhanded me for being a dumb *** (lol but that was my fault :p )

- I realize that it was a festival weekend and there probably was stuff going on I was just to preoccupied with team stuff to see it. But I would have liked a bit more rp. Things for the people who choose to not compete to do. But as I said above Scarlet may just make his own fun next year >;P

Scarlet smiles to himself, the deed to his workshop in hand "Bogur, I got it! I have my own workshop." he calls running up to his guild brother.
"Already!?" he says with as much surprise the dwarf could muster, which as usual wasn't a lot.
"Yes and within the month I should be able to move up in the guild again"
the dwarf's expression changed to a slightly sour look. "wait, does that mean I am going to have to call you sir?"
Scarlet brushes his raven colored hair from his forehead as he contemplates the notion.
"Oh god you're actually considering it aren't you!" Bogur says with wide eyes
"Maybe? I mean Sir Scarlet does have a nice ring to it" Scarlet says playfully
"Well, I guess this may be a good thing. If you are ranking member then you'll have to do all the boring political meetings"
Scarlet tips his head "What do you mean?"
Bogur sighs "Like meeting with the Duchess, going over plans for the conservatory... you know the boring politics"
Scarlet holds back a smile "yes, that does sound very boring" he says slyly, holding back his excitement. He is definitely enjoying his time in breach, and it can only get better.

- Oleksander "Scarlet" Konopelka (Logan Stevenson)

I really enjoyed getting to test my fighting skills against other players. I didn't use one skill all weekend but I still managed on winning fights. Its good to know all my spar training is paying off.

It makes me sad that people were upset with how the fight competitions went. That we teamed up against the other 3 teams. Aezir had over heard about a plan to deal with the Dukes and Vecilis between the other 3 teams. But things happen.

Little contests that Players can choose to enter if they want. But I'm happy with having a big one once a year at least.

Aezir is leading the Earth Weavers into the undead city, to make sure that he can take the brunt of the first surprise attack that might come out. "Please let me kill something" he thinks to himself. Still raging from what happened the month before. But he hasn't been able to take it out on anyone in The Breach due to the Peace of the Festival. Finally they are met with some undead "Finally" Aezir growls getting a evil grin on his face. After felling a couple Undead he matches up with one and after what feels like forever. It finally falls to the ground, with Aezir panting feeling like he was almost at the point of bleeding out.
He turns around to see where the rest of the Earth Weavers were worried what could have happened to them, since he hadn't heard them for awhile. He sees them all just standing in a group. A rage starts building in his stomach since they all seemed to just be relaxing while he almost died from his fight. Aezir starts walking over to them barely able to stand. Collapsing in front of them they finally notice and run over to heal him realizing he was close to bleeding out.
"That's it someone is going to die tomorrow when the Peace of the Festival is lifted" he thought to himself.

Aezir Yukimura (Bryan Weir)

I'd like to know how the different events are actually weighted, point-wise. We spend days doing the scavenger hunt, hours doing the 3v3, and mere minutes doing riddles, but from everything I've heard, each individual riddle is worth as much as one of the combat events - which is not at all what the rules document says.
Riddles are totaled up (so first team to give the answer gets 5 points, then 4,3,2,1). The list is tallied up and the score is then given (I think it was 96,65,58,57,39). So those teams get 5,4,3,2,1 total points towards their total score. It is weighed the same as all other events. Each answer to a riddle is not added to the overall score. I hope that makes sense.

Oh, same goes for the Scavenger Hunt. The lists are tallied then the rankings take place.

Total score is multiplied by 26 to get the overall points and also, how much coin each team receives as prizing. So the team with 1196 points (and received 12gp as their game total) actually had only 46 overall points.

Last edited:
a) all the fighting I did. I dunno if it's all in my head but mar felt respected and I appreciate the amount of honor that went into every duel. there was no ganging up everytime I was the last one standing I was taken down in a straight up fight. I like feeling like I aquitted myself well. so yeah shout out to everyone who allowed my one on ones I appreciate the honourable gestures (would've liked to win more fights but hey thats what happens when I miss so much practice XD)
b) grandstanding during my fight with bogar was fun I was so brain tired at that point I just had to have fun with it besides we gotta keep it entertaining for the nobles ;)
c) seigart running around drunk hunting gnolls was awesome!
d) sleeping bunnies you where hilarious.
e) many more little personal and character moments

guys I hate to say it and please don't take this wrong but the grand melee was what it was. all our teams planned to gang up on the other two teams it was fairly predictable that they would have been likely to do the same to us stuff like that happens. its like any defeat lets just dust ourselves off and work hard for next year :) I get that losing hurts but can't blame them for using the same tactics as us. ((not exactly a less favourite moment but felt like I needed to say it everyone did great))

honestly just more of the festival I really liked it this year specially with no troll ball (though I ended up running myself into the ground anyway)

Mar tenses as he locks eyes with briony their exchange of blows felt like it was going on forever and his arm was starting to ache then lance with pain. gritting his teeth he fought on swords flashing fighting to hide the pain her blows where inflicting as their swords clash. even as he feels his strength failing mar summons his last reserves he would make briony fight for this victory he owed her that much finally as mar falls to his knees defeated his last thoughts before that familiar blackness claims him echo in his mind -good fight-

Really liked Evo's suicide in the Grand Melee, for several reasons, and Aezir's reaction to it was so perfect. Enjoyed the comedy of errors that was the mages duel for Darien. I was getting traded around with charms like a favorite tavern girl.

The only reason I was not fond of the team up in the melee was this: I would describe the Festival as the olympics or pan am games to my co workers, and that's how I think of them, more or less. Teams don't typically cooperate in such events. Though as I stated elsewhere, as we are sponsored by nobility, having said nobility choose to use their team to further an out of the games alliance or rivalry would be interesting. I do think that it was bound to happen one way or another though.

Not really a less favorite moment, so much as a modern view of sportsmanship stuck on to a fantasy competition.

More role play to the goal modules. Really liked both of the AS mods I was on, where combat was incidental to the solving of the mission or at least not required. Some building on the team & individual rivalries that may have sprung up in the games, though that's on us.

Summoned to the arcane circle once again, Darien thinks to himself Another mission to the elemental planes? Where might we be going now? Evo is in the circle, and welcomes everyone, asking them to enter, he has something for us all. Ah, that would be the enslavement antidotes, so that we may rule out a spy in our midst.

"Enslavement antidotes?" I ask, entering the circle. "Yes, enough for all of us present for the festival" replies Evo. All present move to enter the circle and receive their potion. Save Tiberius. A flurry of questions begins to fly, and in but a moment, Tiberius begins to flee. Pursuit is swift, and he is quickly slept, moved back into the circle, and force fed the antidote. All present then also take one, and the Archmage is sent for. There will be questions.

Favorite Moment- I really like the entertainment, all the teams were hilarious. I loved how that "spirit of silliness" spilled over into the semi-final fights afterwards. Everyone was just laughing and having fun, and I think that was awesome.

Less Favorite Moments - There was a lot of belly aching about certain things. In regards to the team up between the Dukes and Vecilis during the melee, quite frankly yes there was an alliance between the other 3 teams. There was coordinated plans between members of different teams to take out specific people who had been targeted. It was not unanimous, there were people that disagreed but ultimately the majority ruled. For the record, I was 100% percent all in for ganging up on them and was one of the people pushing for it. I had no qualms about fighting specific people 5 on 1 and taking them out because it was our best option. If they hadn't teamed up and a few of the heavys picked each other off, it might have actually worked and I don't think there would have been all this complaining about alliances.

In regards to the Dukes dominating all the fights. Um...that's because they had a team of good fighters. I mean, if someone beats you at a race are you going to say "that's not fair you're faster than me" If someone beats you at crazy 8s "that's not fair, you're better at cards than me." Generally speaking the person who is either naturally better at or practices more at any particular thing is going to win a competition in said thing. That's just the way it is. They are good fighters and they won the fights. I know people don't like to loose, but loose with grace.

Things I would like to see more of - Events geared towards the mages. It doesn't really have anything to do with me, but I do see their point. They really only had the one event, the mages duel, while the fighters had the 3v3, the champions battle and then the melee was skewed towards the fighters as well. I know a lot of them felt they didn't get much opportunity to "do their thing" and I think it's important for everybody to have their moment.

A moment from my character's perspective- I don't really have anything profound to say here. I went to a festival. I made some new friends. I had a lot of fun. I really like some of the dresses the noble ladies were wearing, it would have looked prettier in pink.

Things I would like to see more of - Events geared towards the mages. It doesn't really have anything to do with me, but I do see their point. They really only had the one event, the mages duel, while the fighters had the 3v3, the champions battle and then the melee was skewed towards the fighters as well. I know a lot of them felt they didn't get much opportunity to "do their thing" and I think it's important for everybody to have their moment.

Just FYI: Next year there will be a competion for Ritual Casting as well. We have never been able to run it due to the fact that we only had 1-2 people that actually have Formal Ranks. So there is more coming, we just never had the ability to run them before. :)

My favorite moment - I liked hunting things for the scavenger hunt :) Oh! And when the bugle started blowing during the Colors. That was not expected. Trying to top that next year will be fun!

Least favorite moment - Grande Melee. As stated earlier, the top 2 teams fought well and practice hard. That is not my concern about the Melee. My concern is that it is a Melee and we are a land of sword and sorcery. I would have liked to see what we could do if we could ALL fight to our fullest abilities, not just the fighters. Yes, using rituals would be unfair. What I'm talking about are magic items. To find out at the last minute they are not allowed after spending the last few weeks devising tactics and strategies then having them crumble to dust with meer moments to come up with a new plan. That is what made this event bitter to me.

What would you like to see more of? - The comedy stylings of Sevil the intoxicated bard :)

Least favorite moment - Grande Melee. As stated earlier, the top 2 teams fought well and practice hard. That is not my concern about the Melee. My concern is that it is a Melee and we are a land of sword and sorcery. I would have liked to see what we could do if we could ALL fight to our fullest abilities, not just the fighters. Yes, using rituals would be unfair. What I'm talking about are magic items. To find out at the last minute they are not allowed after spending the last few weeks devising tactics and strategies then having them crumble to dust with meer moments to come up with a new plan. That is what made this event bitter to me.
It was stated right in the document that Magic Items were not allowed. This has been the case for the 4 years we have run the tournament. MIs are never allowed as we do not want the tournament to fall into "who has the best toys".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back