EVENT REVIEW: The Dungeon Run - "Blood in the Streets" (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lapaki

Marshal
Six missions, six different results... how will it all effect Calandonia in the months to come?

If we could have IBGAs and MI picks in by Sunday, April 30th, it would be greatly appreciated.

**NPCs - Do not post here. Let us know if you had any highlights or concerns in the NPC FB group. Thanks! **

1. Post your favorite moments
2. Post your less favorite moments (if we don't know, we can not fix)
3. What you would like to see more of
4. Give us a moment from the perspective of your character

Posting rules, respect everyone's views, no debates. Everyone sees things differently.
Reviews get you 15 Goblin Stamps, so make sure you tag your review with your name.

1. Our dungeon run was fantastic. So much fun! We got our asses KICKED in the fights to the point where we were scared for our lives (...and one of us DID die). The jumping portion with the trip wire while being shot at was hilarious and challenging all at the same time. Becky fighting off against Lady Faystand 1v1 was also a good visual (I peaked while I was asleep...oops). And the treasure that we got was pretty solid as well ;) And while it sucked, I was still able to laugh about being foolish and: a) taking a Vengence 30 from killing blow-ing someone and b) Being in a room when a trapped went off and losing a ton of stuff (10+ gas globes, some valuable elixirs, and more)

2. I wasn't there long enough (sadly) to have any bad moments.

3. Traps, honestly. Simple ones, at least. I've not had any real experience in disarming traps...so when we came across two trapped boxes, I froze and had no idea what to do. Thankfully we had Tim/Tengu there to take care of it (sorta...). So more traps so some of us can gain some experience with them :D

4. "We're pinned down over here," Ruki shouted. "We need to get across!"

It seems his words fell on deaf ears, as his comrads continued to fire volleys of arrows at the two Sect members.

'**** this,' he thought to himself as he jumped towards one of the platforms....slipped, and then fell off the roof.

"Helping" The Chrystal Dragon was pretty awesome.

The amount of Popcorning in some of the rooms seemed off, It never seem to actually stop and there seemed to be no way to stop it. To me there should be a point where a room is "defeated" and we could work in a more normal manner.

Always a difficult question for the dungeon run.

"Well maybe I should open the box, what the worse it can do." opens the chest, {some kind of object, wait what if gather a mana. Oh it turns admits violet light.}

Runs through a the caverns "Billen, I have a thing doers it help?" shines light on the Blank pieces, images appear.

-Everything in the dungeon run, especially the first blind jumping mat puzzle. it's especially fun when the displacement beast start approaching the 2 healers who is still on the other side of the cliff.
-Hear about explosion that destroy everything and then got my stuff destroyed --> yes, it's one of my favorite part of the dungeon run. Kinda a fun ' oppos' moment and Jack sad face is very amusing

-Nothing at all, I just learn that next time I will request earlier run b/c want to double hook.

-Teamwork puzzle and the suspense that the displacement beast place on us are awesome.

Tiny tail got dragged into the shadow realm by shadow beast. Tiny tail is sure she is going to die.

Got drop back to previous room. Ok... Tiny tail guesses she got lucky?

Tiny tail got caught by shadow beast again, this time, Tiny tail really think she is going to die.

Got drop into middle of combat but still no harm.

Tiny tail feels like the luckiest sarr in the world.

1. FINALLY showing up as a PC! Didn't really have any idea what I was getting into, but it was loads of fun. I liked the riddles and puzzles in our run, as well. One of my favourite moments was when an enemy NPC was trying to pick up another downed enemy NPC to heal them, and instead grabbing the person with an endow and hauling them off to our lines (to kill them, of course).

2. A little sad I didn't get a chance to double hook as I was on the final run, but that's life. I didn't really like that there wasn't a really an answer or any way of dealing with the displacer beast on our run, aside from "wait until the end of the run when it decides to stop phasing through all your attacks". I have the feeling it was just something our party was just completely unable to handle, and had to be toned-down by the NPCs during the run, otherwise it would have TPK'd us.

3. More lateral thinking! The pillar tile puzzle had a couple of ways we could cross it, which I liked. The idea that maybe we could interrogate NPCs we captured or get information from a friend we rescued to make our lives easier, but nothing that's absolutely 100% required to limp across the finish line. Having different ways to reach the end of a mod, and different consequences, really helps with player agency.

4. "Well, my standard fee is five silver," Pigeon explained, continuing to flip cards from his stack, opposite of Warthorn. "In the event it comes to excessive violence, or you order me to kill for you, that makes the price go up. Twenty silver, at the most. "

"That's alright," said Warthorn, flipping a card of his own. "There really shouldn't be much violence at all. I'll pay the five silver." The otterkin glanced to his side, sharing a look with Ruellia.

Pigeon exhaled sharply, taking a knee after a second group of sect thugs was dispatched in the tunnels beneath the city. Methodically, he began to patch up his armor, checking for damage and trying to wipe the worst of the bloodstains off of it. "Oi, fearless leader," he started, gesturing at Warthorn. The otterkin turned, as did the dryad at his side. "I hope you know I'm charging you extra for this."

"Oh, come on!" Ruellia exclaimed, scowling at Pigeon.

I had an amazing time - from dodging through the barrage of FULLY AUTOMATIC nerf gun fire in the first hallway, to being teleported- alone, and without my shield - into a room with a gargoyle swinging for death, to sacrificing myself so that my group could complete its objective. Also, being told at first that I'd perm if I did it and then having it downgraded to an obliterate was nice.

Then, I NPC'd multiple runs becasue Barra obviously isn't gonna be back anytime soon, and kept having an absolute blast. Being a puzzle gargoyle at the entrance to the second run, then playing a game in the second room so loudly that we honestly didn't hear the players enter, and then my favorite part was getting to play an archer in the third run, in a room where the players had to navigate a platforming room. I had so much fun at that point that after I died, I ended up laying on the floor yelling "that was the best ever!"

I honestly can't think of anything negative to say.

Interesting challenges like jumping from platform to platform while getting shot at by archers, having to dodge rapid fire nerf guns, and just seeing the level to which everyone got into it.

"I have said I will stay" Barra stated, standing squarely eye to socket with the floating skull. "Either keep to your bargain, or break it."
"Hmmmmm," came the response. "Come with me."

Holy Moly. This event was SICK.
The displacer beast was totally awesome. I'm kicking myself now for not recognizing the description.
I finally got the chance to really flex my rogue muscle (read legerdemain), and it was awesome. I feel bad about triggering one trap and I really should have made sure that everyone and all my stuff was out of the room (RIP in pieces all my newly bought potions and gas globes). But the second try I got it right, I managed to disarm the other trapped chest and the loot was glorious. I will admit that the final fight was pretty tough but that was 100% because I had 12 armour (Thank you Ruellia), and a small weapon(Thank you Pigeon) and literally nothing else.

I don't mind blowing up all my stuff but I feel pretty bad about blowing up all of Tiny Tail's stuff.
Uncorking all those potions hurt my soul, lol.

I would have loved to NPC, next dungeon run I'll be there for the whole thing.

TRAPS for the love of god, more traps. That was seriously the coolest thing for me.

Jack knelt down in front of the chest. glancing around he saw that the room was clear. Perfect. He quickly pulled off his cloak, gloves, belt and bag and tossed them into the corner of the room.

Jack cracked the chest open very slightly and looked inside. It was dark but he could just make out a dark outli - THUD.

Tiny Tail fell to the ground directly behind the concentrating rogue, dropped there by the beast. Surprisingly, she was completely unharmed. "Are you alright?" Jack asked. The sarr nodded back. "Well... Okay, back to work" Jack said turning back to the box. He was so engrossed by the task that he completely forgot that the room was not only occupied by himself anymore.

Jack grabbed a tool from his thieves kit and held it up to the box as he cracked the lid. He could see the mechanism all he had to do was unhook the stri - B O O M. "****."

RIP in pieces all my newly bought potions and gas globes.

.... I feel pretty bad about blowing up all of Tiny Tail's stuff.

Don't worry, Kai will happily sell you more potions and gas globes next month. And you didn't blow up *all* of Tiny Tail's things; she left her spell book with me :D

- Sheena as a baby.... Drake? Was adorable as all hell.
- Awesome dragon fight was awesome...
- quick casting 6th level spells was sweet. And Corey calling me over to make sure I could was just gravy >:p

(Okay... so just to start this off I would like to mention that the dungeon run event isn't my favorite, I know I'm probably going to get crucified for this but I just don't enjoy it.)
- The event is basically a Rogue's wet dream... there I said it, especially on my run there was like... 4 or 5 traps. So for this event if you don't have legendermain you may as well just go sit in the corner and hope to god the person disarming the trap doesn't mess up and blow you to high hell.
- As with Richards comment above, the second area where the babies kept on spawning there was like no way to get that safe open without setting off the trap before they re-spawned. I ended up just ripping it open and praying that it wasn't explosive.
- For this next one, I would like to say that it was a lovely run that was very well written. That being said, the ending was kind of... anticlimactic I guess. I mean opening the door to see a dragon and a drake going toe to toe was cool and all but... it was pretty much like being on safari as we weren't needed at all for that part.
- Between disarming the traps, putting the portal together and then having to attempt to rebuild the catalyst for the ritual... (Via 3D puzzle) The ending of the run felt... super rushed. Like... even if we wanted to ask the dragon questions there wasn't really much time without sacrificing loot.

A pricing option for people that do not wish to go on a run.

Scarlett stumbles out of the doors to the Arcane Sanctum after being forcibly interrogated by the Celestials. His body tired, his new clothes torn and burned. He couldn't shake the feeling of violation from his mind, the charm spells leaving their stains on his memories. He now understood why this magic was hated by the Tore Nor. He falls against the wall of an alley and looks up at the falling snow. ' is this what it is to be a Tore Nor?' He thinks to himself as he runs his fingers across the gold wrapping on his newly acquired horns. Flashes of the interrogation pass through his mind. Remembering how he was just a passenger in his own body. His body convulses and he vomits. 'it's like the Celestials want me to hate them...' He thinks as tears begin to flow down his face. 'We mean nothing to them... to the Sanctum, we are nothing but pawns to be controlled and sacrificed when it seems convenient. This will never change... these people don't want it to change' He wipes the tears from his face and gathers the strength to stand. Scarlett smiles as he remembers the words of his dear friend Hezekiah: "I'm know things will change... one day, as they always do. My only wish is that I will live long enough to see it." How true those words were, and now they were words for Scarlett to live by.

Logan-thomas stevenson
player number 150
character: Scarlett

Last edited:
I really should have made sure that everyone and all my stuff was out of the room (RIP in pieces all my newly bought potions and gas globes).
And remember, you can spend MI picks and Gobbies to get pouches and other things RENDERED INDESTRUCTIBLE, that will keep all the contents safe from explosive/Acid/Flame traps.

- Between disarming the traps, putting the portal together and then having to attempt to rebuild the catalyst for the ritual... (Via 3D puzzle) The ending of the run felt... super rushed. Like... even if we wanted to ask the dragon questions there wasn't really much time without sacrificing loot.

I'll address your concerns privately, but TL;DR for everyone else: yes you were rushed, and trust me, I enjoyed that fact as much as you did. Sadly, I'm more of a storyteller, and still have yet to finesse my skills as a dungeon-builder. Definitely over-trapped and over-puzzled the run.

I had an absolute blast this event. I think the dungeon run is a fantastic concept and I wish it was feasible to have more party based multi-room mods more often. I feel that situations like the dungeon run really give PC's a chance to work and coordinate as a team to overcome some really interesting challenges. Giving almost everyone a chance to NPC without needing to commit to a full season of doing so is also pretty fantastic. On a more personal note my highlight was the chance to be the wings/claws of majestic crystal dragon :p

Although our run was quite fun (and no one ended up dead) I feel like the premise behind our run was not very clearly explained. I understand that may have been the intention but it really saps ones motivation when one is summoned by a major NPC only to be given a jumbled and uncertain explanation and then be pushed into a cave to risk their life for some unknown purpose.

More situations that encourage groups to work together, plan, coordinate and execute in order be successful.

The rat and bard were hard at work solving the intricate mechanism that sealed the door ahead while the rest of the party did their best to assist and prepare for what lay ahead of us. Beyond the door we could hear the sound of shuffling feet accompanied by occasional growling. I dutifully watched the door from which we had entered while discussing brief tactical strategy with my newly met kinsman Cato. The group, though ragtag, seemed to be more competent than my initial assessment would have had me believe. Each one had already proven skill and bravery in their own way and more importantly the ability to follow the orders of our leader, a Rocholm veteran know as Eric. Whatever lay ahead of us, I was certain that with a unified effort we would be capable of overcoming it.

*Click* the mechanism holding the door shut was released, Eric lead the way through the door with the shield bearing bard and the rest of the party not far behind. Before us hunched a disheveled figure with his back to us with a host of undead and elementals who swarmed about the cavern. As we entered and approached the hunched figure he quickly turned to face us revealing skeletal features and a face twisted in madness. The creature screamed and called the powers of chaos into his hands drawing the undead towards towards us.

There was no more time for hesitation, our leader moved to engage the creature as the battle lines were drawn. I drew power into my hands and immediately enchanted Cato's crossbow with the power to return the dead to their rest.
Although our guide had seemed confused about our objective I had to trust that the will of the Lord Marshall was being carried out through our actions. Calling upon the powers of the earth, stave in hand I leapt to join my companions in the fray and send these creatures back from whence they came.

Last edited:
The mini obstacle course with the tiles on the floor and the seeing the wire and trying to dodge the artillery.
Albeit light, but some RP with Xerxes and the Duchess. I was surprised to see his interest in the running for the throne.
Nothing

I'd like to see more of obstacle courses and simple traps.
As Arlyne gathers Shin's belongings and starts shuffling towards the exit, she feels a sudden rush of heat hit her face and body. Instantly, she falls on her back, having the wind knocked out of her.
She manages to sit up slowly, then notices burn marks on her armor, clothes, weapons and....oh... nooo...she instinctively reaches for her pouch and sees a giant hole that burnt right though everything...even her spell book.
She lies back on the floor, taking in the sudden loss of her items... Then she closes here eyes.

"They are gonna be sooooo mad...."

I know Nicole said she over trapped our run, but I did learn some stuff. From the Fest where I was shaking like a leaf, scared to let my team down, to the run, felt entirely different.. not confident yet, but phew. getting there.
The set up of rooms, was sweet. mind you, getting my teammates all into that tiny crowded area after the lava..no. comeone guys, the back will get killed if you don't move 3 steps forward...
The Crystal Dragon.. kudos to whoever made that. wow. Talent.

Being rushed, and my ledgerdemain kit explodes..aaaagh! lol.The popcorning baby drakes were hectic, but we made it. Less of those 3d puzzles when there is a time constraint and low light.

Having dropped her gear at the far end of the cavern, for the trapped door, then falling behind as her kit explodes in a mess, Elachae found herself once again at the back of the party, wondering what elicited the sounds of awe from her teammates, who froze in the doorway. Unable to get in, to fight, or even see what was going on. Giving the younger Tari Nor a verbal nudge, she finds herself gazing at quite possibly the most beautiful creature..A Crystal Dragon. A neutral dragon, as Scarlett has said.. and far better than the great red Conflageration She spent a month ducking from. Mesmerizing. Almost didn't see the red drake. Did we fight the drake? I think I threw daggers, but I remember kneeling before the Crystal majesty most.

Lisataime / Elachae Gymirsil

Working with Nazrat on the traps - including the one where we triggered a hallucination and then role-playing the effects.

I'm going to mirror Donnie's comments here - I REALLY enjoyed the party aspect - felt a lot like D&D from when I was kid (but SOO much more fun) - BUT it felt a big disjointed and I never really understood what my motivation was . Then again, I did miss the first part of the briefing, so likely my bad :)

If there's not more of this once we get into events out at the camp, I would hope there would be.

Watching Nazrat work had been a real pleasure for Diggs - a true master plying his craft. Too bad about the hallucination thing though - had Diggs really hugged and professed his love for the ratkin? In the end, no matter. Each got paid, although in the exhaustion following the adventure, Diggs was sure he had been taken advantage of by that Rockholm elf. He made a mental note to never forget that face.

1.Favorite moment
getting to shoot the first run group with nerf guns as arrow traps.

2 Less favorite moment
Uhhhhhh nothing

3. More of
I honestly don't mind if ppl try and screw with me so go for it

4 Moment from character
Having sight removed was not new to talon he kept himself calm and made sure not to fall off into the abyss below. "Talon it is right next to you be careful" oh great needed to hear that. A few moments later and a bit of instruction he was on the next platform or so he assumed along with the creature being behind him. He felt a tentacle slide down his back oh crap this is it Im screwed now he thought. but that was all it did then its presence left... Talon shuddered. what was that thing doing tasting him somehow....? playing with him he didn't know he just wanted to be off these darn pillars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back