Event Review: Way Station Ashventhyr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Rudd

Back on the roads through Rocholm. Next Stop:Way Station Ashventyr...........

**NPCs - Do not post here. Let us know if you had any highlights or concerns in the NPC FB group. Thanks! **

1. Post your favorite moments
2. Post your less favorite moments (if we don't know, we can not fix)
2a) what were your thoughts on the tavern layout and the mod area?
2b) what were your thoughts on the Proctor mod you went on?
3. What you would like to see more of
4. Give us a moment from the perspective of your character

Posting rules, respect everyone's views, no debates. Everyone sees things differently.
Reviews get you 15 Goblin Stamps, so make sure you tag your review with your name.

During the proctor mod, getting frustrated with the logic puzzle we had to do and switching with Keith to work on the 3d puzzle. Shortly afterwards hearing that they had completed it made me feel good, that I made the right decision.

Having stupid puzzles to figure out during the proctor mod lol
I liked the previous months layout better, however I liked the bar being in the middle of everything
Did not like the puzzles, but I suppose not many people like those... We did solve what we needed to in ... decent time.
This is as much the fault of pc's as npc's but more things happening in the tavern.
*rawr* "none of these clues points to a single battle, they could be any battle" I say out loud in frustration.
"Would it help if I said this battle was faught many times a day?" Our proctor said without emotion
"It' chess!" I suddenly exclaimed
"What?" One of my party asked, confused.
"Its chess, so the battle is faught on a chessboard." I say glad I figured it out.
"Well don't tell me that." Our proctor says with what I was sure was exasperation, though I must have been imagining it.

1. Post your favorite moments:
-Training Elwynd in 'chair' extra armor. Should have made him fight someone first...
-Spell duels with Ceric and Jinn
-Getting drunk with friends
-Paying off my 50gp debit in one game (it pays to have good friends...quite literally)
-Getting to see Aaron again
-Tyler as the coroner was a highlight. My favorite NPC of the event!

-I'm going to be honest (because honesty is the best policy!)....this was probably my least favorite event. And from those that I spoke to (6 PCs at least), they felt the same. It was draining emotionally and mentally, and not in the good way.

-While the NPCs I interacted with were great, not enough came through the tavern

-The murder mystery, in theory, would have been really cool. But there should have been other, smaller things happening throughout the night. Some/most players didn't get a chance to have any part in the only story of the night (some didn't know about it until 4-5 hours into the event, others like myself, were shoo'd away when trying to find out information). And from what I heard, an NPC told the PCs to not share any information about the investigation, which would have only compounded this issue.

-Being denied at every point when trying to think of solutions for the murder mystery. After being told 'no' a few times, I was like "**** it, what's the point! I no longer care!"

-When it came to light who the murderer was...it was a quiet, subdued affair at only one table. This was the big moment the entire night was leading up to....make it exciting, make it loud, get other players to pay attention. There doesn't need to be a fight, but people need to care/notice

-Overall, it was just a boring event. And boring is like the worst thing you can be.

-The mod area was perfect! Two medium sized rooms, one large room. I really liked it. The tavern was nice! Although I think if you can cut about 20% off it would be better. While the last event we were too cramped, this event we were too spread out (but closer to perfect this time around)

-The fights were good (I liked that, once we were getting overwhelemd trying to re-fit, I dropped 3 bindings to make the undead useless. It made me feel useful).
-The puzzles kicked our *** though. Little too difficult.
-More NPCs in the tavern. Even if they aren't plot important, just someone to talk to and shoot the **** with.
-More smaller stories for other people to get involved.

Cato walked up to Ruki, "It's paid off."

"Wait, what?" Ruki was confused. He still had another 8 gold to go after clearing his coffers...

"Yeah, just pay me 8 gold whenever you get a chance."

Ruki smiled, friendship really does pay.

1. Post your favorite moments: discussing the different ways me and pigeon could 'sway' a dog race.

I'm going to keep this one brief, because Randy covered more of it. There was nothing to do. The murder kept 6 PC's busy all night, but with them being told not to talk about it with anyone, it left the 20 some of the rest of us. I had plenty of information to share, but no one willing to let me, or include me.

The card game and the dog race going no where. We were told that we could watch the race, but then get told 'oh it happened and you lost'

the gang we kept hearing about, but there was no information on them anywhere.

Not enough NPC's traveling though the tavern. It felt like there was no one to talk to except the bartenders ,who were not talkative about anything

indifferent to it

I don't know what proctors are or why we are helping them. Our mod was killing 2 flying things, looking for stuff for an alchemist, waiting for a trap, me getting withered, waiting for the alchemist to do something, then that's it... I didn't enjoy it

NPC's coming out, gambling, and most stuff to do

to be honest i really don't have one...

Favourite Moments:
There aren't any. There are some less irritating moments while hanging out with friends, but nothing that really stood out as a good/favourite moment.

Less Favourite Moments:
I'm going to be echoing Josh and Randy on this. This wasn't a good event. I have yet to see a murder mystery work at Alliance. Keeping mods private and secret is fine at a summer event. Keeping PCs out of the loop for a private or secret mods doesn' work at a tavern event, as you then have the same PCs doing mods while everyone else sits around doing nothing.

Tavern Layout:
Indifferent. I liked it better than last month.

Proctor Mod:
I did enjoy this. The sleep/awaken mechanic was fun

Character Perspective:
"So let me get this straight. The Earthweavers have only one person invested in their Circle here. And he's dead. In the Circle. Permanently."
"Yep."
"Well that's dumb."
Cato looks up from his cup. "Rocholm tactics!"
I snort into my drink and raise my glass.
"Indeed. Rocholm tactics."

Don't really have one
It seems to be a theme but NPC's keeping PC's from sharing information on what's going on only leads to most of the player base not having fun. It also leads to PC's not wanting to attend tavern nights because well nothing goes on.....or at least it seems that way. It was annoying that alot of NPC's ignored PC's when they tried to talk to them. I also think that PC's shouldn't hang out all night in the lobby as they were talking to NPC's and no one else had a chance to hear or get the info.(I know I was in the lobby for a bit myself so I'm at fault for this as well)
It was fine.
The concept was fun. It probably needed another marshal for the second room. It is frustrating that there is no information from the proctors when asked. I honestly have no idea why we are doing what we are doing accept it involves the Lux.
NPC's doing something to help engage the PC's
Seeing Reed sleeping in the room and not waking up Cato decides he better go grab him and get his body out of there. Everything was going well until he started to trip.......Starting to fall he throws Reed through the door. At this point he realizes he is airborn.....after hitting the ground in a heap Cato says "Rocholm Tactics!"

Favourite Moments:
Entertaining myself by stealing 6 bottles of Booze from the bar. (2 from behind, then 2 from the top of the counter, then 2 more from behind the bar after the raise in security)

Less Favourite Moments:
The Murder Mystery story, other then the points that have already been stated. Murder Mysteries done the way that this was done work outside of Larp. Not letting the NPC's know all the information involved or even if they were the murderer means if we ask a question while they are under Charm so would answer truthfully they could possibly accidentally lie.

Tavern Layout:
I liked that that Bar was out in the open

Proctor Mod:
The sleep and awaken mechanic was cool. There probably should have been some extra headbands for us to wear so it was more obvious who was on what part of the mechanic. It seemed like a lot of the main room as clarifying what part of the Mod the PCs were in But it kinda irked me that I managed on getting into the second room pretty quickly. Then basically just had to wait in the next room with just a circle and a riddle with no one to let me know if anything I did worked. Then when someone eventually came into the room I got told to leave and go back to my "body" because it had apparently been 10 minutes so I "woke" up.

Character Perspective:

*Redacted*

Last edited:
The sleep/awake mod was a lot of fun, and I blew through literally all of my healing and half of my life spells in the span of about 20 minutes.

At the risk of turning this thread into an echo chamber, I was bored stiff for most of the night. The only thing going on was the murder mystery, which only involved a handful of PCs.

Seemed ok.

I enjoyed it, though I have no idea why we're doing what we're doing - though that's mostly because I haven't been to the last few events.

Not sure. Other than the content of the proctor mod, there was very little I actually enjoyed.

"wait, Cato's been on the ground for a while."
(healing arts ensues)
"I grant you the gift of life."
"five sleep"
"Damnit. Activate cure mortal wounds. I grant you the power of a magic armor."

Hanging out and relaxing on the 'patio' with kumara and elwynd I was feeling really closed in inside the tavern and it led to a lot of great character interactions.
I enjoyed being part of the mystery but....

I feel really guilty that it took up so much and that so many others were left bored. I know taverns can often be slow but apparently this was far worse than normal so yeah. Also a little upset that it was drawn out for the full night I had the culprit almost immediately after the inspection of the body but was told we had no authority to detain or question him.

I do love the new layout although as I said earlier I was feeling a little claustrophobic that's why I was in the lobby as much as I was intereacting with elwynd etc.

It had some really fun mechanics but I will echo what a lot of other people have been saying. I'm a captain for one of those mods and I have no idea whats going on or why we're doing it I'm kinda just trying to be helpful at this point

Neat mechanics like the proctor mode

my limbs won't move there are enemies in front of me and I can't move
"mar attack him!" evos voice.....my arms start to move but stop once the movement is done.
soon enough it is apparent my body is not my own Evo can command it to move but all I can do in here is watch......
good thing he's quick with the instructions.

Interacting with a lot of people this event. I think I had some kind of interaction with almost everyone which I really liked. It was nice to come back to after a month's break. Sure kept me busy!
The mod with the waking up and sleeping...have to say, I do miss the fighting :)
Testing out how well I can lead....its a bit overwhelming, think I did ok :)
Murder mystery was fun; yet I have my reservations...

I know from alot of players after event that they did not enjoy the murder mystery at all. I'll echo Mar's take that I feel abit guilty as well that it took up alot of few players time. I was surprised that no fishbowls were out; I was under the assumption that it was just the handful of us to figure it out.

I don't have it to compare to from last event, but I do like this layout. Mod areas are great I like how there's more rooms to explore. Tavern is a good size as well.

A little confusing, but once I figured it out it was fun. Before the Mod, I had to do some catching up with other players to see what/who a Proctor is and what the/their purpose is.

Fishbowls :)

"Do you think those guilds that you belong to serve good?" The Kanask elf asks.
"I would like to think they do serve a purpose. A good purpose to help those in need." She replies, nodding in agreement.
"Are you sure?" He pressed.
Arlyne pauses. "Yes. I would hope they do." She takes a sip of her ale, before excusing herself...
"Thats a strange thing to ask..." she thinks as she smiles and leaves the table...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back