Event Review- "Winter Woes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dramm a'dan

Scholar
Post your review for a "Winter Woes"
1. Post your favorite moments
2. Post your less favorite moments (if we don't know, we can not fix)
3. What you would like to see more of
4. Gives us a moment from the perspective of your character

It was fun being on the pc side of things. :)

1. It seems Hyväksyä is a baby eating necromancer. According to that silly little elf anyways. Going off and tossing a few spells at the dead things was fun. And having a dark elf to chat with was also entertaining.

2. Nothing really sticks out. Stuff was going on, and the most was made of the space we had.

3. Um... Once again nothing sticks out. There were some lulls, but it's clear npcs were off running mods in the back or stuck to their games. So it's more up to all the pcs to entertain ourselves.

4. She sat at the table and lifted her cup, looking at the dice under it. Beside her was the bear, across from him a rat, then some other fellow. She was surprised, the rat did not smell as bad as she had expected.

"Five fours." The fellow across from her said after checking his dice.

"Six fours." Hyväksyä stated, then looked to Magnus.

He studied his dice for a moment, then, "Three fives.".

As the table waited for the rat to go, the elf who dressed like a gypsy split from her group and started to walk towards them. Was she buying a drink? Apparently not.

The thing stood beside Hyväksyä, who turned to face it. The creature was unsteady, swaying, most likely drunk.

"You." It started, pointing at Hyväksyä. "You eat babies, or you could, I think you would eat babies. Look at-" Her words were interrupted as a friend pulled her away, apologizing as he did.

Excusing herself from the game, Hyväksyä went to speak to the pale elf. She stood in front of thing, as a crowd of... people watched. As she started to talk, she began to pace, still very close to the pale elf.

"If you have something to say to me, say it." Hyväksyä ordered. The creature listened.

"Well, since I do not know if you have not eaten babies, it's possible you have, and since you're, well you know, you'd eat babies more likely then someone else. So this is why I call you a baby eater.

But there is another one like you, and we have to work together some times. It is unpleasant, but I will do it. So long as you do not eat a baby or do me harm. I do not have any babies, so you can't eat those."

She wanted to silence this thing, yet all those around seemed to be its friend and she had met them only this evening. Now Hyväksyä spoke.

"I do not eat babies, and I have not done you harm. Your kind attempt to kill all of mine, and you accuse me of terrible things?"

The pale elf started up again, "Your people attacked us! They burnt our cities!"

"Yours attacked us first." Hyväksyä responded, "That is what our histories say."

"Your history is wrong," the thing disputed, "history is told by the uh... History is told by the one writing it. And you wrote it wrong. Now, if you do not catch me doing any harm to you, you can't hurt me. Because we'll have to work together."

Hyväksyä looked directly at the thing. "That's an interesting choice of words. If I catch you? So you're going to try to harm me and just not get noticed? I am here to help at the breach, and you are threatening me."

"But I cannot trust your help," the pale elf started, "you are probably a necromancer."

Hyväksyä was done trying to talk to this thing, "I am no such thing." she replied curtly. Then walked off to return to her dice.

Now though, the other pale elf was at the table, sitting across from the lady hobling. "Are you going to call me a baby eating necromancer as well?" She asked of him. He simply laughed.

The dice game seemed to have stopped. And the annoying elf from earlier was coming over again. Hyväksyä looked at it with disgust.

"I have been told I should apologize. I do not know if you eat babies. I don't know that you don't, but since I don't know that you do I guess I should not have acted like a..." She paused, trying to find the right word.

"A bitch?" Suggested the male hobling.

"What?!" Exclaimed the pale elf, surprised by the suggestion.

"You were being a bitch." He clarified, since she did not seem to understand the term on its own.

Hyväksyä smiled, "Bitch sounds right."

"Fine! I apologize for saying you eat babies. Even though you could." Then she went back to the people she had previously been with.

The evening was fun, but felt a little quiet. Partly I am sure because I was a playing a new character who knew no one, and had to met the population of the tavern one by one.

Favorite moment: explaining to a Bear-kin that calling a Tribesmen a Barbarian would be much the same as me calling him an animal or beast. Given his size I was pleased he took it well!

Least favorite moment: Having my feet slowly turn to blocks of ice! Much more socks next time!

What I would like to see more of: Battle! But lets be fair, it is a tavern in the middle of a city, not a battle in the middle of a war!

Myhkus' perspective: The blue faced creature flew across the room, moving much more swiftly that the other strange creatures that circulated around the tavern. Then suddenly the corner of the inn erupted into the sounds of battle! "By Brandr's Axe!" Wrenching twin hammers from my belt I moved toward the scuffle to find the way blocked by many quicker of foot and blade. "Surely there must be more than one. A single creature to attack a tavern in the center of the city seems most an unchancy thing!" Turning on my heel and swept the tavern and door for more of the creatures, only to find there were none to be seen. "Odd, most odd..."

Last edited:
1) As always, interpersonal interactions make me very happy. It was great meeting the new characters and a ton of fun stirring up some trouble, especially when I got helping hands from a few folk to do so :)

2) I know that we were expected to lead our own rp and experience, but I think maybe some tidbits of city politics, or some other, discussion driving info via posters, town gossips, etc... could have been very helpful in terms of character interaction. I found myself at a loss trying to find excuses to talk to some characters, especially new ones as, once we got the initial "who are you, where are you from?" stuff over with, there wasn't a whole lot we could openly discuss., still being essentially strangers to each other. City gossip, weather reports, that sort of stuff, could be another way to give characters who don't trust/know each other a reason to interact and a bit of meat with which to feed interpersonal rp.

My other issue this month and in the past is that I find there is a confusion between being subtle and being vague. I know that we don't want information to just land in a pc's lap and that when doing certain dealings, subtlety is important. I get that. I embrace that. But I have found, personally, that some attempts at subtlety are simply vague and can actually halt rp. This month it came in the form of my being asked to hand something to "a dark elf man". Now, in the end, there was only one male dark elf to come through the tavern, however, Calenhelm is a city, I assume populated by more than the physical representations that we have. In such a setting, that descriptor is far too vague and if two dark elves had shown up, I'd have had absolutely no idea which one was supposed to be my contact and which wasn't, and, in the line of business I'm in, going up and asking is not an option for me. Maybe implementing pass phrases? Like you get handed something and told "Pass this to a dark elven man. Ask him how his pet cod is fairing. He will tell you that its fins are yellow." So then, dark elf man appears, I ask him the question, either he answers or he looks at me like I'm insane and I give a drunken smile and walk away. I think this can avoid outright failing a task for being reasonably cautious, can add some flavour to rp, and helps hold some of the immersion in the reality of how many people there are in our world.

3) Nothing is really standing out to me right now

4) Derya stood against one wall, hands tucked into her voluminous sleeves. She'd gotten many wonderful compliments regarding her new top and the ego stroke was a delightful thing to the point-eared sailor. Sailor.. Could she still call herself this when she had not set foot aboard a ship in over half a year now? Her gaze dropped, lips pursed to the side as she considered this. And then she lifted her dark eyes and resumed her watching.
There was a new Dark Elf, Derya'd already made a sure *** of herself in front of that one. A small smile flitted across her lips. It had been good and loud and blatant. Most folk had seen it and the apology that had followed. She held very little love for the dark skinned ones. They were foreign creatures painted as terrible villains in the stories told by her people, but they were useful. And the assumptions that swirled between the two women, these were also useful to her. She wondered, vaguely, how hard she'd have to push to get a good, solid reaction from the Dark Elf. This one spoke highly of honour and seemed to actually mean it. It might be more difficult than she first imagined.
Her attention shifted and she eyed the well-dressed woman, robed in representations of roses. A beautiful woman, aloof, but not as cold as she might have thought at first. Someone she'd get to know slowly, if they should continue to cross paths.
Her attention continued to wander, pausing on faces she recognized, gauging relationships, re-evaluating how she felt she stood with them and they with her. The close ties she had originally felt were already beginning to disintegrate. Was this her own doing? Likely. She had trouble maintaining relationships. Oh, she had a good many friends, new ones, every night she found herself drunk and reeling and considering gambling, she always found new friends. And therein lay her trouble, she only ever had new friends.
Her pensive pondering was cut short as Morrigan approached her, citing concern over some matters of the breach, speaking to her of how the Dark Elven man might be plotting something and saying to Derya that the pirate might be better equipped to approach the man and broach the subject. A quick smirk and a glint of mischief and Derya was pointing out that the Dark Elven woman was in deep conversation with that man and perhaps she ought be watched as she had shown some overly ready interest in assisting the Breach. She then assured Morrigan she'd talk to the man. It had, after all, been her intention to. She had something for him, after all.

I had a blast, It would be first event in 5 months I am very happy to be back

1) My favorite moment was when our rat-kin either threw/placed a rat or little monkey (toy) on a table and it started flopping around. I had this surreal moment where I could nothing but laugh, A rat-kin with real rats did not seam odd to me and That rat-kin better not have Willard in his name anywhere. Oh and craps.

2) I miss the gossip cards we had last year, made for some interesting in-game conversations

3) I agree with Mike - more fighting

4) Magnus thought to himself as Bunin lust filled cries are herd by everyone in the Tavern "I am the employed by Yetta and she and Bunin are partners so that means I am employed by Bunin too..... Do I get a Guard discount???? Better get back to cards the weird half bearded She Dwarf who smells of burnt hair who I think is cheating and where did that other dwarf who's beard looked like he shaved off his short and curlies and stuck it on his face go. OH hes renting the other room with the nice baker lady..... and there they go too. She and Bunin should talk they could corner the market."

Last edited:
One additional thought, the hot cider was very much appreciated!
But in the rush to get there on time, we forgot to eat.
There was some profit to be had in having some food for purchase as well! <grin>

There were supposed to be chips to snack on. They never made it into my truck. So yes, there will be "snacks" available for a few cp or sp at the next Tavern.

1. My favourite moments from this months events are still technically in the making. With the way we left the breach this season I feel like it was a bitter-fought defeat, and I've been really interested to see who and how we're been picking up the pieces of things we've lost and how things are being shuffled around.

2. It was a pretty brief session, and I was so excited to just be larping again that I don't think I would have noticed any of my least favourite moments if they bit me in the ***.

3. I am a huge fan of the more 'human' interactions that we've been cultivating between characters. It was really interesting to meet all these new people/characters, but I can't wait to build more in-depth relationships with everyone.

4. "Derya, the dark elf is a new recruit for the weavers and I'm going to have to work with her on a day to day basis. If you -don't- go apologize to her right now I don't think you and I are going to be able to hang out much anymore." I expected the gruff, upset and nearly hostile response I got to that comment. However Derya did stand, gave me a derisive snort and made her way to the new face of the dark elf I had only introduced myself to not half an hour ago. Straining to hear over the din of the crowd I tried to make out what the two of them were talking about....

"I apologize for calling you a baby eater," I heard Derya begin, "I do not know if you do eat babies. I do not know if you do not eat babies, but just because I don't know if you do eat babies I should not have acted like you do..... Even though you probably do."

The only correct response I could think of to hearing Derya's, 'apology' was a face palm. This was going to be trouble.

Wrath, thy name is a flighty sailing elf named Derya.

1. One of my favorite moments of this event was watching Derya go can call out Hyväksyä (never got her name in game) and making a fool of herself with a little bit of goading from myself and others.

2. Still don't have any least favorite moments yet, it was a little slow from what I was used too in the last two events (being my first two events) I didn't know what to expect from the tavern night but now that I know, I am thinking of somethings that I might be able to give to plot to see what can happen.

3. I would like to see more players old and new, because meeting the polar bear was very interesting after hearing about him.

4. ".....that dark elf I don't like her. I think i'm going to go say something to her" grumbles Derya, "Ya I think you should" I urged, "I think I will" huffed Derya as she storms off the look of surprise in the hoblings eyes made me laugh. As I hear Derya go over to Hyväksyä and tell her that she eats babies it surprised me that she went so far with the insult then just tell her that she hated her and her people for killing hers. Then I watched the hobling rush over to apologize to Hyväksyä and pull Derya away back to the group and have Hyväksyä come back over and call Derya out for saying that she eats babies... as I watch this happen I think to myself that Derya is right and it will be so much more fun with this new darkelf around all this new drama.

Sarryn (Anthony Percival)

I think it's fun to see that Derya, Hyväksyä, and Deverel (my new character) had such a well remembered interaction. It's interesting to see all the different accounts of that same moment.

I don't really have a least favourite moment. As already stated by others, it was my first tavern event, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Now I know that if I want to something geared more toward my character, I have to submit something.

As fighting is not (in my opinion) the object of the tavern, I would like to be able to get more information (politics, gossip, whatnot) from the NPCs, though I do realize that this is a little harder to coordinate.

"Seven!"
The enthusiastic man running the dice table starts clearing off the table, pocketing the last of my funds that I was willing to part with. With a frustrated expression on my face, I leave the table. The annoying painted man is on his way to the bar, to fill his horn with more ale no doubt.
"How is the table treating you, little man?"
Gritting my teeth, I reply somewhat frostily,
"Fine my friend, though the dice roll not the way I would wish."
Chuckling, the painted man says,
"That is why I do not gamble."
"Well, my friend, there is little chance of reward with no risk." And with I walk away, eager to leave the strange man, and find more new people to meet. Maybe there are more contacts to make.....

1. My most fav moments were actually the Craps table and the mod that Mobius 'dragged' me on. Craps because i was winning for a short while, and the mod because I got to see more of the family background.

2. The only thing that i can think of, was when the death cry was heard. I myself, could not decide at first if my character would have heard it, or if it was in tavern. I only knew that Illandra would have heard it when everyone went rushing to the one room. It's a little hard to react to something if i'm not sure if i should be hearing it or not, i do know it's harder when it's one room you're trying to section off :)

3. nothing comes to mind currently.

I throw the dice and the barbarian across from me howls with happiness. I was apparently on a streak. This game is new to me. I have no idea what I should be aiming for the dice to roll. Mobius is beside me, placing even more chips upon the table. The dice are thrown and laughter is heard again, as it seams I've won. That's good right? More chips have been dealt out. Mobius' coin purse will be heavy tonight. But so will all the others purses. I look at the dice. They seem to be staring up at me, provoking me to throw them once again. I glance up and see the barbarian putting more on the 'pass line'

"Are you sure you want to do that?" I ask, a little anxious of the dice at this point. She just waves my comment off and continues her counting, then placements. I roll again, and this time we have a new number. The rolls continue and the dice throwing melt together and the eventual reality of loss comes forward. I've rolled a seven, and the table is wiped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back