Exotic Wylderkin Costuming

GoldRaven

In the vast world of wylderkin, there are many varieties of people. There are mammals, like wolves and foxes, sure, but there are also birds, and lizards, and even fish and insects apparently.
But, seeing that I'm inexperienced in Alliance, I haven't seen some of the more exotic kin. I'm very curious, though, as I hope to someday be one of those more unique kin.
So, what kind of neat costumes are out there in this world of ours? Share with me some costumes, or even just concepts, of unique and exotic wylderkin.
Thanks for helping to inspire me and sate my curiosity!

11024708_1554598384825780_2055523016581204442_n.jpg

We've got a tarantula...

They're there! I'm just a mere humble coyote but I know of someone on here who plays a snail and a spider. I've seen iguana.... Rhino... I consider those pretty exotic and off the wall.

Eventually I hope to make my Clydesdale

Wow, a snail?! That's really impressive. I bet that's pretty makeup intensive.
I think I've seen that tarantula on these forums before. She's the reason I'm so curious about this particular subject.

I've seen horse, snail, spider, caterpillar (and moth), and we've even got a kid that plays a Thylacine at HQ. Also the more common lizard, fox, snake, and ravens. The costuming is always fun to see.

Edit: found a good one of the moth!
1919604_508648683133_8191597_n.jpg

Last edited:
We have a Preying Mantis in the Alberta Chapter.

I've seen horse, snail, spider, caterpillar (and moth), and we've even got a kid that plays a Thylacine at HQ. Also the more common lizard, fox, snake, and ravens. The costuming is always fun to see.
View attachment 1373
Did the moth come from a caterpillar? I was thinking of doing something similar, but turning into a bee.
I was also thinking that my Mystic Wood Elf just magically went through a metamorphosis, and turn into a bee or a moth or something.
May I also just note that the moth's outfit looks like the Tick's sidekick! I think that's pretty awesome.

We have a Preying Mantis in the Alberta Chapter.
That's freaking awesome! Do you happen to have a picture of that?

think I've seen that tarantula on these forums before. She's the reason I'm so curious about this particular subject.
Oh gawsh <3

This is me obviously
10171028_10203069826505757_3329990093645103063_n.jpg

I have a lot of custom garb to fit the back legs (which were recently pulled off in game ;;;_;;; no more extra limbs for me!). This is a picture of the recently replaced bodysuit with the brighter orange stripes.
11066813_10202528944104035_8217225457025076179_n.jpg

And a slightly better look at the old arm rig. I don't actually recommend doing extra arms- they got in my way pretty badly for the 5 or 6 years I wore them (never being able to lean back is miserable).
11011266_10202399983120091_7756807166594937812_n.jpg

But I've built/done work on other interesting Kyn as well. I make my own masks and costuming and do commission work. I can't post any pictures (they belong to the person(s) they were made for and I'm sure they would prefer it to remain a secret until the big reveal) but I've done a death's-head-mothkin, a bullkin and a cactus dryad.

If and when you decide to take the plunge into over complicated costuming (and all the associated miseries) feel free to send me a message. I can probably help out :3

With regards to concepts... I've always joked about playing an amoeba-kin.

I knew someone who'd planned a koi kyn and wanted to bring a kiddie pool, bubbles, and a spray bottle to keep moist. I am still sad this never happened.

Someone threatened once to make a Caiman just to get in a wrestling match with me... Am also sad this never happened.

I've always wanted to play an Anglerfishfkin or Viperfishkin and, along with a wire dangling a glowstick over my head, make a friendly plastic mouthpiece with 4-6 big underbite teeth (like a High Orc/Ogre... 'cept with six teeth coming up across the whole front of my lower mouth instead of just two tusks on the sides). I imagine that talking with the mouthpiece for long periods of time could be fairly rough, so I reckon it would probably work best for just for an NPC role rather than a full-fledged PC, but if I make said ensemble any time soon, I'll try to remember to get a picture for y'all.

Haha. I was joking with my dad (who also plays) that I wanted to be a strong, American animal, like the noble sponge.
I figured I could make some corn starch slime to sometimes cover myself with, so whoever shook hands with me would get goop on themselves.
And if my dreams of being a bee-kin (who questions male authority, "makes" his own crayons, and sells homemade honey) falls through, I would definitely want to play a goldfish kin, who's just a little bit dim. It'd be a reasonable way to get a spray bottle in game, for those hot summer days (though, it never gets too bad in the Rocky Mountains). The real challenge would be trying to roleplay a fish, because who knows what's going on in those little guy's heads?

I would shy away from doing anything that would get stuff on *other* people. Since it's at game, facilities to wash clothes and garb aren't exactly readily available and it would risk ruining other people's garb :eek: I love the idea of playing a sponge though. Really any of the 'no technically it's an animal!' kin.

I don't know if it would work with any kin concept, but I've heard a story about a guy who was playing a character who was A. Gross and B. Had (in game) skin problems. The way he did it was he coated his face in non-toxic white glue. Over the course of a day he would every once in a while peel some of his 'skin' off and eat it, much to the horrified looks of everyone around.

A star-nosed mole would make a really cute unique kin.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Egz2f5_Ip3U/maxresdefault.jpg

Did the moth come from a caterpillar? I was thinking of doing something similar, but turning into a bee.

Yep! She was a fuzzy green caterpillar for... I forget if it was 1 year or 2 but anyway she made cocoon and changed into a moth who didn't really remember what the caterpillar had done. It was super cute :)

I would shy away from doing anything that would get stuff on *other* people. Since it's at game, facilities to wash clothes and garb aren't exactly readily available and it would risk ruining other people's garb :eek: I love the idea of playing a sponge though. Really any of the 'no technically it's an animal!' kin.
A star-nosed mole would make a really cute unique kin.
Yes, that's probably true. People might not take so kindly to getting gooey. I can't see that anyone would become too upset, but it would still be rather inconsiderate.
The sponge idea was a joke, anyway. I'm not really sure how to costume that, other than going to Florida and buying a big sponge to carve out and put on my head. And even then, because they're so basic animals, I can't imagine it being all too interesting. The sponge animal itself is just a goopy little slug colony, after all.

And while the star-nosed mole is pretty unique, "cute" is... well, the jury is still out on cute.
May I offer the much cuddlier, yet still unique, Golden Mole, as an alternative? I mean, dang, this thing is freaking adorable.
http://www.nedbank.co.za/website/uploads/affinity/Juliana.jpg

EDIT: Also alternatively, this little guy has eyes, which would make combat MUCH easier:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/1649534-3x2-940x627.jpg

Last edited:
If you are still unsure what to pick, as a guiding light, in Denver there is an general encouragement to try and get folks to pick animals from north america (But not official, nor mandatory...) Its a flavor-building thing for Acarthia's little patch in the mists of Fortannis- exotic/unique is fine and good, but theres also things to be said of large groups of the same critter simply because of the group roleplay/cultural develoment opportunities it offers. Just food for thought : )

If you are still unsure, as a guiding light, in Denver there is an general encouragement to try and get folks to pick animals from north america (But not official, nor mandatory... Its a flavor-building thing)- exotic/unique is fine and good, but theres also things to be said of large groups of the same critter simply because of the roleplay/cultural opportunities it offers. Just food for thought : )
That makes a lot of sense. Denver is a very wildlife rich and culture rich area, so playing North American animals is a fun part of the ascetic. I think that's actually where my Sponge joke came from, seeing how the primary sponge harvesting capital of the world is in a little town in Florida.
Well, I'll definitely keep that in mind, as it narrows down a lot of funny critters. Luckily, there are still some fun and unique animals in North America.

Last edited:
...but theres also things to be said of large groups of the same critter simply because of the group roleplay/cultural develoment opportunities it offers. Just food for thought : )

There is more than a grain of truth to this group dynamic. The Pacific Northwest has a basically three flavors of kin: Raccoon (1st by a long shot), Fox and oddly... Panda (both of the black and white and red panda variety), there are a few wolf kin as well but these three groups, especially the Raccoons make their own clique that has big social dynamics.

There is more than a grain of truth to this group dynamic. The Pacific Northwest has a basically three flavors of kin: Raccoon (1st by a long shot), Fox and oddly... Panda (both of the black and white and red panda variety), there are a few wolf kin as well but these three groups, especially the Raccoons make their own clique that has big social dynamics.
I don't think I've seen any raccoons yet, but we do have a large fox population (one of the ones I'm thinking of could be a wolf), quite a few rabbits, a bear, a lizard, and a muntjac. Which you'll have to look up for yourself. I will say our muntjac is a little more bad-a than the real life thing. Also, I believe we have a doe, but she was not at this particular event that I was at.

When it comes to North American, specifically western animals, my personal favorites are Moose, Porcupines, and- cutest of all- Pikas. They're basically like little wombats. Freaking adorable.

I would love to see a moose kyn!

I do like looking to the local wildlife for inspiration though. Colorado has coyotes, foxes, prairie dogs (omg! prairie dog kyn! I need to at LEAST make this a fishbowl), deer, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, raccoons, weasels, cougars, lynxes, bobcats, antelope, moles, mice, voles, skunks... And it used to have buffalo, wolverines... And that's just the mammals, and not a complete list either.

The insect world is a great place to look for "exotic" kyn. Same with reptiles and amphibians. Birds too, though they're harder to costume to distinguish from biata (ask Jim sometimes about the vulture kyn who may have been an NPC in NERO Kzoo, such amazingness).

I would caution against "gimmick" kyn character ideas though. For example, I was enamored for a while of making a preying mantis kyn because I love mantids, the costuming would be way fun to do, and the physicality and alien nature would be intriguing to portray. But when I thought about it, I couldn't really think of a character concept beyond those characteristics that I could sink my teeth into and play for potentially years on end. It would work as a one event character or an NPC, less well for a full on PC (at least for my RP style).

Basically: consider if you can play this character for a weekend a month, 8+ weekends a year, potentially for years. Some people have characters they've played for 10-20 years now. You can always retire the character, but I'd plan on at least 5 years. Is that doable? Would that be fun?

Back