Expecting Waylay

Bond

Regarding "Expecting waylay", the rule book says
If the target knows that the attacker is coming
and announces it by saying “I know you’re back there,” or otherwise showing that he or she is/was aware of the waylayer’s intentions, then the Waylay does not work. The victim will of course still take normal damage from the
blow.Walking around all day randomly saying “I know you’re back there” will not stop a Waylay.
p.67
This implies that the statement regarding waylay is an in-game statement, but it's rather nebulous. It does say "or otherwise showing that he or
she is/was aware of the waylayer’s intentions", stating you don't have to give the exact statement in the entry. Does this mean we should have a specific statement for "Expecting Waylay"? It seems to me that leaving it as nebulous as it is in the book could lead to arguments regarding how what you did qualified as "Otherwise showing..." in a lot of situations.

It also doesn't clearly define what the act of showing someone you are expecting them to knock you on the head consists of. Is it an in-game action or an out-of-game action? Does it have to be a statement or can it be a hand on the back of your neck? I can see arguments both ways.

Waylay was clarified further by this ARC post:
http://alliancelarp.com/forum/viewtopic ... lay#p12344

Basically, if you legitimately knew the person was there and hostile towards you, you aren't knocked out when they waylay you (but you still take the damage to body), regardless of whether or not you declared 'expecting waylay' ahead of time. People who abuse this will be dealt with by marshals. Indicating your awareness of the Waylayer's intent is the easiest way to avoid an argument over whether or not you truly anticipated an attack from the Waylayer.

It sounds like it is kind of an "on your honor" type of rule, now?

Cool. Rules trusting players are good in my opinion. Granted, it can lead to some douche using it as a loophole in the rules, but overall I am a fan of them. Spirit of the rules and such.

Excellent, I spent too much time in the "One post to rule them all" thread and did not even catch that post. Much obliged.

I also like it, Seth. I'm a fan of the hand on the back of the neck thing. It's something I can do that visually signifies my expectation of waylay but it's also something that I will stop doing if I get distracted. It's also a simple question I can ask myself when I get waylayed(Did I have my hand back there? Nope, eat dirt).

I dislike the hand to the back of the head idea, because for 2 handed weapons, you have to have both hands on them to parry. This would mean that if I wanted to signal expecting waylay, I would become vulnerable to assassinate, slay ect.

jpariury said:
I don't believe Bond was recommending that it become required as the only way to do so, merely that it was a useful method for him.

Yeah, I didn't intend it to come off that way, just my favorite method. Do whatever works for you.

Back