Favorite Mods/Mechanics

Ruki

Scholar
Hey there! I'm doing some writing for my chapter (lairs, a storyline, etc..) and rather than just rely on myself and the Calgary resources, I thought I would tap the forums and get people's ideas!

I'm curious, what are some of your favorite mods or mechanics that you've run into? What are some ideas that you've had, but haven't found the right time to use them?

I actually prefer “Block” defenses to smart defenses. They reward planning. For example, a monster with a bunch of Spell Blocks could have that whittled down by Signature spells or Storm spells, until the enemy is vulnerable to something more powerful.

I like puzzle mods that have a combat element; while puzzle solvers deal with the puzzle, the rest of the team has to keep them safe.

And usually yell at them to solve faster!

This can even incorporate elements like failures somehow affecting the combat (maybe you’re fighting Constructs that Renew if something goes wrong).

I like mods that have a timer element. It adds pressure. You need to be careful with your timer, but that tension can be so delicious.

Lastly, figure out how Endow can be used in your mods; someone’s gonna try. It’s fine if it isn’t always important, but sometimes someone just wants to be the Hulk.

Last edited:
I love mods with additional mechanics to them beyond just combat and will employ them whenever possible. I actually keep a big table of all my favorite mod mechanics (both that I've run and that I've PC'd) from the past 10 years, and whenever I need an idea, I like to look at that list and re-skin/rework something on there. That list is like my secret weapon for engaging mods.

That said, I'm using a lot of those mechanics on that table for mods I'm planning for Nationals, so I can't publicly explain a lot of them at the moment. However, I'd totally be down for chatting privately to help you figure out some fun mechanics if you'd like. :)

Something we have been using more lately are crafting mechanics to get benefit during an encounter.

"You find the wall is weak in one area, it takes 20pp of blacksmithing to open another door into the room the bandits are holding up in"

It's never something required to "win" the encounter, but gives a way for crafting players to get a hero moment.

Something we have been using more lately are crafting mechanics to get benefit during an encounter.

"You find the wall is weak in one area, it takes 20pp of blacksmithing to open another door into the room the bandits are holding up in"

It's never something required to "win" the encounter, but gives a way for crafting players to get a hero moment.

We've also been using this in Calgary. I love it.

Physical challenges are also great "seasoning" for a mod (you probably don't want them to be the main challenge, and you want workarounds if not every player can engage them).

We did a mod where we had to jump from rock to rock (repped with tarps), but if we stepped off the rock, we fell and took lethal Massive damage. Oh, and while we were trying to cross, enemies were launching boulders at us (repped with bursts of blue packets, but you could use foam rocks, of course).

I also remember a physical challenge involving fighting Flame elementals around lava; players who fell in the lava had a bad time.....

We did a mod where we had to jump from rock to rock (repped with tarps), but if we stepped off the rock, we fell and took lethal Massive damage. Oh, and while we were trying to cross, enemies were launching boulders at us (repped with bursts of blue packets, but you could use foam rocks, of course).

Muhahahahahahahahaha! You are welcome, Evan.

That was a fun module. I am glad you enjoyed it!

Back