Favorite mundane items you've received?

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Despite magic items and ritual scrolls being the kings of treasure in our game, I'm still more of a sucker for a meaningful trinket or prop that is worth nothing more than sentimental value to its owner. Be it from Plot or fellow PCs, receiving little stuff for no other tangible benefit other than to cherish has been a big part of making my game great. I was looking through a few of my bits and baubles I've collected from Alliance over the past decade, and it got me wondering about others' experiences:

What are some of your personal favorite completely non-magical, non-game-item stuff you've received at events? Where did you get them? What gives them their significance to you, either in-game or out-of-game? Post a picture of them if you'd like! :)

I suspect you recognize these. I'm still looking for more opportunities to teach people how to play, but haven't had much sitting around time as Nikolai lately.

LmjxG8H.png

The story, for those who didn't play SoMN a few years ago, is that a small group of adventurers working for the Merrow (local aquatic folk, quite friendly so long as one was properly respectful) discovered that a squidkin who scavenged from the River had acquired a thing we needed to find, but would not give it up for the asking. Instead, he challenged us to a game for it. Not every day that someone comes up with a game for a mod, and it is actually good.

Really, that whole series of mods was a ton of fun. I adore a good balance of puzzles rather than just 'go here, hit thing with pipe until it gives up the MacGuffin, walk back'.

At the first national game way back in the day I was still a new player and playing Durl, during that game he happened upon a sad, brightly dressed and jingly lady (another pc) who seemed down. So he gave her what ever coins he had in his bag (was probably around 5-7 gold worth) because Durl knew that most adventurers like to play the collecting game. It worked, she seemed happy and off I went, the next day she showed up with a chain link necklace (okay well head piece for me). I still have that piece in m Durl bag and over the years it's come up in various ways that I really enjoy in the characters history. My favorite memory with it was when we suffered a tpk on a place called spider island in Chicago, and for the first time ever Durl got to effectively throw a fit to go back, eventually getting the entire town to go back to the most murdery place on the planet where another Fancily dressed jingly gentlemen of the same race of the original gal ended up trading his arcane armor (on a really cool armored shirt rep) up to a dryder in trade to get the necklace back after the town was repelled and forced to flee...again. The final reveal that the headpiece was just some that was treasured for sentimental reasons and had no power went over surprisingly well.

Outside of my personal experience I think the favorite Item I ever dropped over 10 years of plot (and suggested by my head of plot at the time) was a simple tie on headband that was enchanted technically, but it's only effect was that when worn it would prevent it's owner from aging during the time it was on. Happily our local populace considered it a real treasure and avoid metagaming and keeping the price low.

When I started playing, I jumped in with both feet and over time I ended up annoying the local population of baddies enough to be one of the dozen or so people gifted with a wanted poster. I still have it and I love it:

IMG_20190209_075329.jpg

Then, later, after that same character perm'd (10% club!) a fellow player (@Sita) made this plaque for me, which I also still have and cherish:

IMG_20190209_075408.jpg

I have 2 very special things to me. The first is a faux striped tail that was given to me by Utah's beloved Bubbles the ogre. I helped her cross a river and she gave it to me and I cherish it dearly. She's been good friends with my mom so getting my own trinket from her warmed my heart. The other was a necklace from Squire Hildr. My character admires her greatly and so getting the necklace from her was very special.

/\
|_____________ Wanted posters are fun...

When I started playing, I jumped in with both feet and over time I ended up annoying the local population of baddies enough to be one of the dozen or so people gifted with a wanted poster. I still have it and I love it:

View attachment 2230

Then, later, after that same character perm'd (10% club!) a fellow player (@Sita) made this plaque for me, which I also still have and cherish:

View attachment 2231

A red leather butterfly hair clip. It was a magic item at the time, that magic ran out, and it's currently serving as my character's bottle. But I wanted it because it would fit perfectly right on the top of the base of my tail. And when my bottle becomes a regen, it'll keep being there.

One of my characters has a stuffed teddy bear given to him by his IG romantic interest, while she was out on a Spirit Farewell after her last death. She told him to keep it so he wouldn't be sad without her, so he did. She'd also sewn a secret pouch in to it, because she was clever like that.

Man. I have two.

The first one is a hankerchief with embroidery on it sewn by Zeth’s first apprentice.

The second is a coin pouch handmade by Zeth’s last apprentice, designed to look like a tomato.

....Look, he was hallucinating and she was a dryad and a salad sounded really refreshing, don’t judge.

Back