Fight Practices

I don't know where this should go, but humor me please, since I'm new.

I'm curious does anyone hold Fight practices or anything of the sort?

There is no set schedule for these yet, but we are planning on having a few fight practices during the off-season, which is from now until April-ish (The exact dates of next season's schedule are currently being worked out). Fight practices have historically been at the request of players, so it's usually only a matter of arranging a time and place that works for people and then doing it. Players who organize and run official (chapter-approved) fight practices are awarded Goblin Stamps.

Thanks so much! And fight practices are normally out of character events, correct?

some are out of character but a few are in character so those who are new can get a feel for how the combat mechinacs of the game work. and to help everyone keep the game going smoothly

David raatz

Welcome to the comunity. Where abouts are you located because I was just debating where and when to hold a practice. Also next time I do a craft day I will be sure to post it because learning the game isn't just about combat practice. and hey we could always use some more packets.

-Andrea
Plays an Adept Orc named Gorka

Yeah, a craft practice sounds great too. I live in the Minnetonka/Wayzata area, but I'd be willing to drive anywhere as long as it helps me feel a bit more at ease, since I'm so so nervous for my first event.

Fight practices are essentially a combination of the "New Player Talk" that happens before each game and an extended combat training for both new and more experienced players. We go over basic game mechanics including combat, magic, armor/body points, healing/dieing, etc. with the new players first.

The reason these practices are called fight practices is that many players (especially those who already know the basic mechanics) use them to try out various combat styles and get more technical practice with the weapons and combat techniques (which may be limited by the available weapon physreps). This is why fight practices can help players of all skill levels and are not only for new players.

After the rules training and fight practicing, a few in-game practice modules or "mods" are run, which is when the in-game practicing actually happens. The greatest benefit of the fight practice in-game mods is that you have a longer time to put those theoretical rules into practice without any risk to your in-game character, as things that happen in fight practices do not affect the actual campaign plot, items, or anything else related to the "official" game. Also, it's a great time for character concept experimentation, such as a player who normally plays as fighter trying the game as a scholar.

Andrea, if you want to coordinate one soon-ish (sometime in December), let me know. If there is enough player interest for one, I'll volunteer to run it (although I am not able to host).

I was debating about doing it up here (st Cloud) or at my parents (elk River) or sweet talking Davion (oh gosh what is the name of that city? well hyway 100 and 394)

a fight practice would have to be in January I think since 2 weeks out is Christmas week.

I could do a craft afternoon any Thursday or Friday I think. Next week would be finals week for our college friends. Any opinions larping community?

With the finals and holidays, let's shoot for early January.

If it's very early January, I could go, and I would really like to go, because I don't get enough larp as it is. I'm free any day but Friday on the first week of November, and I'm free on Sunday right after that week.

You mean you WERE free on the first week in November. It doesn't make a bit of difference now, though.

If the fight practice lasts longer than the round-trip drive for me to get there, I might go. I'm trying to get used to two short weapons, but I keep fighting like I'm using a long sword and shield. I've also never played anything with backstabs in the 4 years I've been larping, so I want to practice that before starting my rogue in the spring.

I think I'll host a practice at my place in Prior Lake, say Saturday the 14th of January? Would that work for people? Some fighting in the snow, some hot food indoors and chatting about game/prepping packets etc.

It's a bit of a drive, but not awful. And the 14th sounds good to me. :)

No, I meant the first week of January, not November, and Dave, Ill try and make it to a fight practice on the 14th, I should be able to make it If Ryan or Jesse give me a ride, or maybe I could attempt the drive myself.

I would definitely be up for the 14th of January. I could give some people rides too, most likely

I'll submit the date to my staff and hope they approve it :p. I suppose we can always make it unofficial if Paige refuses me.

Tehe "Refuses me."
kjfg. Why am I so amused by that word choice? Pardon the really unimportant reply. But er, it's my thread? Yup, that's totally my exuse. xD

Win. Anyways, a fight practice sounds fun, considering I haven't LARPed since... Yes, Firefox, LARP is too a word... anyways, I haven't LARPed since October.

I haven't LARPed since ever. Props to just being old enough! I feel so young compared to everyone. It's rather depressing to some degree.

Back