First Time'er Questions

Hey I've lurked these and other forums in the past (for about 4 years actually), learning info and dreaming of actually trying larp at some point.

Now that I'm no longer In the service and have a stable job (as in not flying all over the country) I feel like I can actually give this thing a whirl. That said I've yet to actually find a retail weapon that suits my desires. I'd like a weapon that actually meets the measurements of real arms, but for what ever reason these weapons are almost always on the short side. For the life of me I cant find a Claymore (Scottish Great-sword) that is around 55 inches (the real length of a claymore) nor have I found a rapier of the appropriate length (blade length around 43 inches). I don't really understand why these retailers keep selling themselves short.

A little info about me. I'm now a retired Marine (age 22). I do have a bit of formal training in swords, passed down from father to father. I'm 2nd generation American (my father being born here, his father from Ireland). I'm looking for a sword that can a bit of a beating and is atomically correct to it's predecessor. It needs to have good reach and balance. If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear it.

Howdy,

Something to consider is that most larps have their own size limitations - for instance, the Alliance LARP caps its one-handed swords at 45 inches, so a sword with as blade length of 43 inches won't be allowed as a one-hander. For a two-hander, you could always go with this, which comes in just two inches shy of 55.

As a general rule, true sword fighting forms, such as you might find in groups like HACA or the like, don't really work well with the Alliance LARP system. Our stick-game is more like speed-tag, and we use an ablative hit point system rather than a location-based recreation system - a creature with 100 hit points won't go down any faster because you drew your foam blade across their torso if the amount of damage you do per strike is only 5, and actually pressing through with your blade or putting significant muscle in your swing will only get you carded and/or kicked out. A light tap does the same amount of damage as a solid wallop. Short form is that this is more cardio and less strength.

A common bit of advice often given to new players to our game is:

"If you have any sort of martial arts or weapon training... forget all of it, because it will not help you here"

Dom said:
A common bit of advice often given to new players to our game is:

"If you have any sort of martial arts or weapon training... forget all of it, because it will not help you here"
Except SitAwa, stamina, and footwork. But, like he says, the rest is for schmaltz.

I think what Dom means is that because many of the targets and techniques common in a lot of martial arts styles are illegal in Alliance, you should be wary of falling back on habits that sharply thrust or make targets of the head/hands.

The advantage you have is the ability to gauge what your opponent will do next because you have more familiarity with the tells that people have.

/agree with all of the above.

That being said, it is a heck of a lot of fun and requires skill all its own. I'm glad to hear that you've stopped lurking and are able to start playing!

Unless you are a ninja.

Ninja skills do apply.

:ninja:

If Mr. Undeadfredi is an ex-military dude, it might more sense for us to report to him...

phedre said:
I think what Dom means is that because many of the targets and techniques common in a lot of martial arts styles are illegal in Alliance, you should be wary of falling back on habits that sharply thrust or make targets of the head/hands.

The advantage you have is the ability to gauge what your opponent will do next because you have more familiarity with the tells that people have.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I've actually made a foam sword wrapped in cloth just to screw around with a group of guys I use to go to college with, who has a small group. They explained allot of different rulesets that different groups use.

One thing that is hard to fight in the instinct to aim for the head, though i fully understand and agree to why the head shouldn't be targeted. It's just with any martial arts you aim were your enemies guard isnt. This usually means below or above their center of mass. Trowing away a life time of instincts is a challenge, but it requires you to be clairvoyant during play rater then reactionary.

What killed me though is the guys who hunch over so their head is level with their center of mass. So my only target is below the center of mass. which is no good bc they often realize this cheap move as a tactic then adjust their guard accordingly.

Also it appears that their are allot of weird stabbing rules allot of people play with. Some even ban thrusting. That kinda blew my mind, as Thrusting is a huge part of swordsmanship.

One thing though that I've yet to find a condenses on is disarming your opponent. It's apparent to anyone that this is play not sparing so you never want to get too physical with anyone but am I allowed to disarm my opponent without touching them with my hands? And am I allowed to check the weapon from an opponent?

Disarming is allowed through in game abilities only. If an opponent drops their weapon through normal combat (not through an ability) it is generally good sportsmanship to allow them to retrieve their weapon without lighting them up.

After all, this is a game.

Dom said:
Disarming is allowed through in game abilities only. If an opponent drops their weapon through normal combat (not through an ability) it is generally good sportsmanship to allow them to retrieve their weapon without lighting them up.

Wait... really?

I don't know that I've ever been afforded that courtesy. I wear gloves with better grip just so that I DON'T lose grip on my polearm and get lit up.

Stephen

Most disarming techniques use striking of the hands/wrist and/or contests of leverage/strength. The Alliance combat system disallows the former and generally discourages the latter - you really shouldn't be trying to do it on purpose.

As I mentioned, we're essentially playing high-speed tag. Our combat system is, ultimately, conflict resolution with some re-creative flavor, rather than being a re-creation of actual combat. Targets that, in most martial arts, are ineffectual, become just as valid as more obvious lethal strikes. A swing accompanied by the call "Eviscerate" is just as devastating (within the context of the game) when delivered to an elbow or toe as it would be when delivered to the torso. So, the general principles occasionally apply, but the techniques and specifics are distinct to our system.

RiddickDale said:
Dom said:

Wait... really?

I don't know that I've ever been afforded that courtesy. I wear gloves with better grip just so that I DON'T lose grip on my polearm and get lit up.

Stephen

I didn't say it's common practice but generally if im fighting an NPC and they fumble their weapon, especially for new players, I will give them the chance to recover before going after them again. I was given the same courtesy when I was brand new to the game and felt it was something worth continuing.

Dom said:
RiddickDale said:
Dom said:

Wait... really?

Stephen

I didn't say it's common practice but generally if im fighting an NPC and they fumble their weapon, especially for new players, I will give them the chance to recover before going after them again. I was given the same courtesy when I was brand new to the game and felt it was something worth continuing.

I see it done more for NPCs wielding claws, as IG there is no way to drop them.

jpariury said:
Most disarming techniques use striking of the hands/wrist and/or contests of leverage/strength. The Alliance combat system disallows the former and generally discourages the latter - you really shouldn't be trying to do it on purpose.

It does happen pretty often if you take certain shots. A lot of folks seem to prefer a drummer's two-fingered grip for faster taps rather than a secure sword grip, and catching the blade just above the cross at the proper angle will take it right out of their hands. I seem to cause it by accident fairly often when playing Nikolai due to the cutlass-style longsword he uses.

phedre said:
Dom said:

I see it done more for NPCs wielding claws, as IG there is no way to drop them.

Indeed. I've seen it done both sides of the fence when it comes to claws and spiritlinked/locked weapons. I've certainly had NPCs stop and let me retrieve a claw... I've even had one or two actually pick them up and hand them back to me. Those fights generally tend to be the more pleasant ones in my experience.

Back