Fish-kin?

Jovunn

Adept
So, I've been throwing around the idea of putting together some sort of fish-kin for my inevitable attempt at a high-makeup character. A question I've been getting a lot from other players is, "How do you explain your character being able to walk and breathe on land?"

I'm perfectly cool with having to be able to explain that (though I would hope the "vaguely humanoid physiology associated with kin in general" would help in my explanation), however: is this a mechanic that would prevent me from being able to create such a character in the first place? Can this be chalked up to the game occurring in a fantasy world?

There are plenty of aquatic life-forms that breath air. So it is easy enough to explain that your advanced life-form has better gills. And maybe your local plot would allow you something like water-breathing as a race trait.

You could even have some kind of apparatus that allows you to breath while you're notin the water. Like, a big leather neck-cuff that is filled with water. It would be fun to mix in to your heavy make-up costume. Also, you could belike a lung fish, and have to return to the water every now and then over the weekend.

EDIT: I know that doesn't remotely answer the question at hand but I was thinking about it haha

No this is easy...when someone looks at you incredulously just smile and say you are unscaled!

Joe S.

Wylderkin are not half-animal half-person. They are humanoids with animal characteristics. So a bass-kin would have attributes of a bass such as protruding eyes, a silvery body with some additional markings, and likely only four strings. However, they would be primarily humanoid, with two legs, two arms, an upright posture and humanoid anatomy, including lungs. Gills would be a reasonable cosmetic touch, of course, but any sort of fish-kin will still have lungs and breathe air perfectly fine.

there are any number of cat fish that can breath air...

yeah, they just dry out fast on land.... so you'd have an excuse to dowse yourself with water in the hot summer months. and in winter when there is snow on the ground you could argue that water is all around.

Sorry it took me forever to get back to this.

I'm thinking a little more deep-sea with my eye specifically on anglerfish (I am looking at you, black seadevil), so ambulatory fish reasoning kind of gets ruled out. That said, if kin are supposed to be, say, more like 60-80% humanoid in composition, Dan's argument is one I'm going to cling to like a thing that clings really hard to stuff.

This leads me to another question:
If I go with an animal is primarily black, should I go with dark greys to avoid encroaching upon the racial makeup for dark elves, or will the glowing light, teeth, gills, and webbed hands differentiate enough? This is less a choice I care about (grey is really fine by me) and more one that piques my curiosity.

I think you have enough 'other stuff' to be fine in blacks.

Especially if you don't have white/silver hair and pointy ears. :)

"Someone told me if I do this I look less scary. Am I less scary? This wig is itchy and I hate everything."

i just remembered that betta fish are air breathers. They come up to the surface to take in some air, and if there is moss or some other obstruction blocking the surface then they drown. kinda like a whale or dolphin...

northfur.ca has orcas, shark and dolphin masks, i bet they would make a custom mask for you if you told them what you wanted.

Mudskipper. DO IT. I will flop around the muds with you.

Muddy_Mudskipper.jpg

RSviN0w.jpg

Eh, eh?!

I love this idea. I actually wanted to Lamprey kin a LONG time ago. It was my 'see if I can perm in a single weekend character' haha.

-Justin

Tetsu said:
I actually wanted to Lamprey kin a LONG time ago. It was my 'see if I can perm in a single weekend character' haha.

-Justin

Because people would be angry that you were sucking up to them? *rimshot*

Back