Draven

Count
Blazin' Sword has the following properties:

Damage Aura +3
Flame Aura
Exp Enchant 1/day Prison
Channel 1/day Prison
Spirit Link
Flaw: Cannot be used by anyone with the skill Celestial Formal Magic.

Phil Phlamecaster just finished casting this item, and picks it up. Does the item attach itself to his spirit despite the flaw, or not?

I thought when casting a Spirit Link/Lock, both targets had to be stated (ie, item and person.) Therefore, I'd say that this was an impossible situation.

It's a valid question, however, for picking up a Linked sword whose former linkee had just Permed.

Afaik, and I'd certainly rule on the field, that the item is now Linked, but the person is unable to activate any of the rituals. I'd draw a parallel between this situation and an existing linked/locked item gaining a new flaw (via ritual backlash, generally). Every time I've seen an item become only useable by <blah> or require <x> skill to use, the item has either required a Destroy Magic targeting the flaw, or the person has altered skill/class to suit, or they just get cranky while this useless thing is stuck to them.

The Link ritual is never "activated" or "used," it is an entirely passive connection between the item and person which the person has no control over.

Edit: someone just brought up to me that the flaw "Cannot be used by <blah>" would also keep the weapon from being wielded, with damage being taken if it was struck. The wording of the flaw would be crucial, if the wording were "Cannot be activated," the item would still be wieldable if it were a valid weapon/shield. "Cannot be used" would negate any functionality.

Upvote 0
I swore I'd asked it as an ARC ruling, but apparently not.

I suspect that having an item link to you is, in fact "using" the item (unlike, say, an item that becomes Rendered, which in no way interacts with the character's spirit or active choosing). Much like if you already have 20 rituals on your spirit, or if you simply do not have a spirit (CSS), if you're an invalid target for the ritual, you can carry the item without it linking to you.

The Choose Flaw Ritual Manipulation points to limiting the item's use, never the ritual, and per this ruling, flaws are always applied to the item, never ritual-specific.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back