Flawing a Master Construct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Assuming the formal caster in question has sufficient formal ranks above the ritual's difficulty, he/she could use a Choose Flaw Ritual Manipulation on a Master Construct ritual to make the resulting golem have the flaw of "Bearer takes double damage from <Element X> and half damage from <Element Y>, correct?

I think this might need to be brought to ARC (I can't find anything that deals with Choose Flaw and Golems specifically), though I offer the following answer:

From an ARC ruling about True Empowerment Flaws and Golems:

Construct and Master Construct rituals are intended to disallow any further enchantment rituals upon the created Construct other than a duration extender (note that instantaneous rituals or rituals that target another character's spirit such as Spirit Store or Destroy Magic are separate and distinct, as with any other 20-ritual item). Thus, a long-lasting flaw from a True Empowerment would not be applied to the resulting Construct.

From another related clarification:

As noted in an earlier clarification, persistent beneficial flaws from True Empowerment count as rituals for the purpose of this limit as well.

For a Master Construct where that element type is also a "Healed By" element, I would say "No", because it would be a beneficial flaw and therefore count toward the 20 rit limit. Even though the flaw is not coming from a True Empowerment and it does not duplicate a ritual effect, it's still a potentially beneficial flaw which seems to be against the spirit of the criteria: if you benefit from it, it counts toward the limit.

If the construct did NOT have a "Healed By" the same element that it would be taking double damage from, I'd probably say "okay". But if there was a "healed by <element>" that matched the double damage flaw, I'd say "no".

Then again, taking less damage from an element is also beneficial, so an argument could be made just on that basis, but I'd go with a case-by-case answer.

But again, nothing on Choose Flaw (ritual manipulation) and master constructs that I can find.

In the end, Golems don't need to be more powerful than they already are, and beneficial flaws (regardless of how the flaw is introduced; True Empowerment, Ritual Manipulation, or other means) make them more powerful.

Adam S.
OR/SEA Marshal

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back