Flaws & Backlashes pg. 13

DracoIam

Spellsword
Flaws & Backlashes
Each Talisman tag will be generated with a single backlash and a single flaw. Catalyst tags will be generated with a standard flaw and the Chance to Fail flaw. Flaws are automatic to the casting of the ritual (unless bypassed). New flaws will have two parts: If this ritual creates an item X, if not, Y. For example: If this ritual creates an item, the item may only be used by an Elf, otherwise, this ritual may only be cast by an Elf. In addition to the two-part flaws, there are two new flaws.

I could use some more examples of this "If Ritual creates an Item X , if not, Y. " Flaws please.

Is there or will there be a table used to create these? Could I see an example of the table?

Will Flaws only be relevant to item creation Ritual Catalysts and Totems?

Or if it dose not crate an item you must fulfill requirement Y?

I just need more examples to help me understand it, thank you.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the intention is to provide two “versions” of a similar flaw- one for the item if the ritual creates an item, one for the caster if it doesn’t. Under the current flaw system, some flaws just don’t matter because they impact an item made by a non-item ritual (example- “Item created can only be used in the rain” on a Spirit Walk), or are directed at the caster when the caster will not be benefiting from the rit.

For this purpose “item” is any ritual that gets its own tag (traditional items, long term location effects, etc) while non-item are typically instant (whispering wind, destroy magic). There are a handful of rituals that fall somewhere in the middle (Ritual of Woe) that may need some clarification as to whether they are type A or type B.

A few examples-
“Only useable at night” so an Enchant with that could be cast whenever, but the this creates item would only work from 6-6, while a DFM with that flaw could only be cast between 6-6.

“Must speak in Rhyme for an hour” on an spell parry- you better break out the thesaurus if you are the weapon user, but the caster doesn’t care; if it was a Foresee the Weather, the caster best be ready.

Etc

So you are reading it as "If ritual makes a Tag it gets X Flaw, if no tag made flaw is Y." ?

I was seeing it as "Ritual will have X Flaw, if rule Y is not preformed"
so someone could choose to avoid flaw X by fulfilling Y requirement

JP has the right of it.

Specifically:
Is there or will there be a table used to create these? Could I see an example of the table?
There will be a table. Most likely it will not be public knowledge.
I’m not sure what information you’re looking for with an example of the table.

Will Flaws only be relevant to item creation Ritual Catalysts and Totems?
No.

Or if it dose not crate an item you must fulfill requirement Y?
Yes.

So when creating a 20 rit Item you will have 20 flaws to go with it?

Barring the use of high magic or having duplicates, yes.

Back