Florentine style questions

First Question: If you are fighting Florentine style, is it mandatory to hold and use both weapons if you possess only Florentine and no other weapons skills?

Which leads to my second question:

Why is Florentine cheaper to use than one handed edged for the Fighter, Adept, Scholar, Templar, and Artisan? The only explanations I can figure out is that there is a typo in the rulebook about the cost, that Florentine is supposed to have a prerequisite but isn't listed as such in the rulebook, or that the answer to my above question is yes and that the difficulty created by holding the second weapon makes up for it.

Could somebody please explain what the heck is going on?

Florentine allows you to use a second weapon (or claw) in your off hand. Florentine doesn't include the ability to use any weapons by itself. If you had only the skill Florentine, you could use no weapons, because you don't have a weapon skill. If you have the skill One Handed Edged with Florentine, you could use a small edged weapon in your off hand and a long edged or short edged in your on hand (or small, if you really want). If you had the skill One Handed Blunt with Florentine, you could use a small blunt weapon in your off hand and a long, short, or small blunt weapon in your on hand. The reason that Florentine no longer lists "a weapon skill" as a pre-requisite is that you can purchase Florentine and Two Weapons and use the Claw skill.

If you have Florentine, you are not required to use a second weapon.

"This skill allows the character to hold and
use two weapons in combat, one in each hand.
Neither weapon can be a two handed weapon,
and one of the weapons can be no longer than a
dagger.
If different damages are being delivered
with each weapon, then you must call out different
damages when swinging the weapons."

This is the wording. I get what you're saying, but this is a little confusing. Thanks for clearing it up though.

Hrm. That should be in the errata. It used to state that you could only wield weapons for which you possessed the appropriate skill.

Hmm... I think I see the confusion. Wraith is right however.

Perhaps it'd be easier if we adjusted the layout a bit to break things up into "weapon skills" and "style skills" or something similar?

It is a typo in the RB...if you look under the weapons chart...the only things that have prerequisites are Style Master-Weapon Skill and Two Weapons-Florentine......Florentine should have the prereq of Weapon Skill

-Matt K

obcidian_bandit said:
MKing said:
Florentine should have the prereq of Weapon Skill
No.
obcidian_bandit said:
The reason that Florentine no longer lists "a weapon skill" as a pre-requisite is that you can purchase Florentine and Two Weapons and use the Claw skill.

Sorry..but to me the Claw skill kind of falls into the Weapon Skill...but thats just me

It's a weapon skill in that it's a boffer and you hit people with it, but in the book it's listed as a racial skill, not a weapon skill.

MKing said:
Sorry..but to me the Claw skill kind of falls into the Weapon Skill...but thats just me
Claw isn't a Weapon Skill, as defined by the rulebook. Any skill listed in the "Weapon" section of the skill chart is a Weapon skill.
Really, Style Master shouldn't have a pre-req either, but it must have gotten missed. I think this became an issue and went into the addendum of the last book, but I can't find the old thread about it (it may have been on an older board).

jpariury said:
That just means that florentine should have the prereq of a weapon skill OR claw. The precedent for two alternate prereqs exists for stun limb, shatter, riposte.
Probably, it would be clearer that way.

Why wouldn't a fighting style need a weapon prerequisite? By definition, it's weapon dependent. How would this be practiced? It's a fighting style and fighting is done with weapons...or claws. Makes perfect logical sense to me.

I think its kinda strange that florentine, two weapon and shield all have no pre-requisites that fall into the weapon skill category, but Stylemaster requires a weapon skill.

So a character with Claws has to buy a weapon skill to get the build back from upgrading to stylemaster?

obcidian_bandit said:
Claw isn't a Weapon Skill, as defined by the rulebook. Any skill listed in the "Weapon" section of the skill chart is a Weapon skill.
Really, Style Master shouldn't have a pre-req either, but it must have gotten missed. I think this became an issue and went into the addendum of the last book, but I can't find the old thread about it (it may have been on an older board).
It was never ARCified or FAQ'd, but you used to be of the opinion that Claw counted as a Weapon Skill for any prereqs.

jpariury said:
Shield is a "weapon style" (inasmuch as it fits under Stylemaster) that requires absolutely no other weapons to use.

Agreed, but it effectively comes with it's own proficiency. By learning the style, you can use the item in the case of shield. ;)

Back