Flubberdoop Lore Ideas

Or they're still Spirit Linked but donnt do anything lol

Item Recall doesn't stick to a person so they COULD use it to summon something...or with the whole "No Activating MIs" it just wouldn't work.

If they're Race Changing to this new race, AND this new race couldn't use rituals that targeted a spirit (like SLink and SLock do), then yes, those Linked items would fall off and the Locked items would disappear forever.

Or we could write in exceptions. The brand new uber-change scroll itself could state that those SLocked items would just fall off and immediately stick to the next person who touched them and be locked to them instead. Or those two specific rituals and nothing else could suffer a Destroy Magic ritual effect, causing the items to be free to pass around.

Alavatar said:
Race change only race that cannot use magic items?

Does that mean all the Spirit Link/Lock/Item Recall items suddenly fall off and bond with the next person they touch?

The OP from that thread had this to say:

Imagine if you will a PC race that is completely incapable of Activating or using magic items bound in physical objects, I'm talking just spirit rituals here if they want to use ritual system treasure at all.

So things like Regen and CSS would work, as would Spirit Link/Lock; so they'd still be able to "use" their spirit, just not a physical object that is a Magic Item.

I like Lauren's idea for production. Imagine if necromantic potions gave a sweeter, better high, maybe even having an addictive quality like Euphoria does for other races. If you've ever seen Being Human, I'm thinking of the difference between "bagged" blood versus drinking from a live person; in the mythos of that show, there is a very different taste and a very different high (though sustainable, not ideal and the other is excessively tempting).

If the spirit takes a Destroy Magic of the appropriate aspect, Linked items are unlinked and Locked items take the Destroy as well.

So the Linked items would have the link removed, and the locked items would cease to be.

Isn't expanded enchant, cloak, and bane also Spirit? Could be wrong, don't have the exact text.

phedre said:
If the spirit takes a Destroy Magic of the appropriate aspect, Linked items are unlinked and Locked items take the Destroy as well.

So the Linked items would have the link removed, and the locked items would cease to be.

100% True. But there's nothing preventing writing exceptions to the current rules especially if we're going to add something like a brand new race to the equation. :)

Kantil said:
Quote:Imagine if you will a PC race that is completely incapable of Activating or using magic items bound in physical objects, I'm talking just spirit rituals here if they want to use ritual system treasure at all.

So things like Regen and CSS would work, as would Spirit Link/Lock; so they'd still be able to "use" their spirit, just not a physical object that is a Magic Item.

I simply took it one step further and took "No ritual magic at all" as a possibility for their disadvantages.

Mildly on topic....

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but Frisco raises a good point with his racial flavor. If you have a race of creatures that can't use magic items at all, then they won't try to acquire them. And, if they won't try to acquire them, then the treasure is getting disbursed across a smaller segment of the game, which means every other player is getting a higher number of magic items (over time). So, either the treasure policy needs to be changed to essentially exclude Flubberdoop Starchild players from the calculation (or at least lower the calculation from them) or this race needs something that "encourages" it to collect magic items in the normal proportion that other characters do.

-MS

Keep thine rules in that other thread, this is a place for pictures of Richard Simons and talking about necro pots giving Flubberdoops Euphoria!

I like the idea of magic items giving effects that the FLUBBERDOOP an OOG disadvantage but something they could potentially be attracted to IG. So Flubberdoops that adventure might totally avoid MIs so they don't become addicted, or they might hoard them to fuel their addiction. It can go either way.

I feel like Dave's idea for the bubble makes SENSE but it also doesn't allow a lot of room for interesting RP because there's nothing else to it. Can you think of how the bubble idea couldhave some interesting RP side effects?

mikestrauss said:
Mildly on topic....

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but Frisco raises a good point with his racial flavor. If you have a race of creatures that can't use magic items at all, then they won't try to acquire them. And, if they won't try to acquire them, then the treasure is getting disbursed across a smaller segment of the game, which means every other player is getting a higher number of magic items (over time). So, either the treasure policy needs to be changed to essentially exclude Flubberdoop Starchild players from the calculation (or at least lower the calculation from them) or this race needs something that "encourages" it to collect magic items in the normal proportion that other characters do.

-MS

It was a considerationwhen I was thinking about al of those things, but I also thought about Biata and Barbarins and how treasure doesn't lways go to them either.

Why not racial abilities that having large, scaling capabilities, like Mental powers, only stronger? And in order to use these powers, MIs need to be "drained" of their magic every Logistics period?

I see what you're saying Mike, but unless everyone's a Flubberdoop the impact is pretty small. And the F-to-the-Ds would still want some rits, just Spirit and RP ones, so they participate in the ritual system, just with a different focus.

Draven said:
Why not racial abilities that having large, scaling capabilities, like Mental powers, only stronger? And in order to use these powers, MIs need to be "drained" of their magic every Logistics period?

That would be SIIIIICCCKKK

That is the PvPest of the PvP causing ideas I've ever heard...

Good... Gooooood...

Draven said:
Isn't expanded enchant, cloak, and bane also Spirit? Could be wrong, don't have the exact text.

They used to be but aren't any more.

I call for "Penumbra" to be the new name. They are the "almost shadow," the shadow in an glowing aura of magic.

*lays down a bomb*

They are part creates of the Void between the Planes.

*watches it blow your minds*

That's tough, I know a couple campaigns that already have monsters with that explanation. There was a PC that was turning into one in a plot that crossed a couple chapters, and she *certainly* wasn't as adorable and huggable as the flubberdoops are.

Maybe make them an echo of a previous time, or of another plane?

Make them evolved, spirit-given constructs, literally built from magic, that have obtained a metabolism allowing them to experience life as living creatures. This new life has them hungry to experience emotions, of which they were once deprived, to the fullest, which is an ambition that has pushed many of them into a lifestyle of adventure.

Their evolution or transformation has left them with the ability to tap into items of magical power, which they can use to fuel their racial powers, based upon a combination of their own development (read: level) and the power of the rituals they drain (read: difficulty level or levels).

Draven said:
Make them evolved, spirit-given constructs, literally built from magic, that have obtained a metabolism allowing them to experience life as living creatures. This new life has them hungry to experience emotions, of which they were once deprived, to the fullest, which is an ambition that has pushed many of them into a lifestyle of adventure.

Their evolution or transformation has left them with the ability to tap into items of magical power, which they can use to fuel their racial powers, based upon a combination of their own development (read: level) and the power of the rituals they drain (read: difficulty level or levels).

Awwww that would be awesome. You'd have to build your own body that you'd live in forever before you could transfer into it.

Or what you said. What you said is also awesome.

What if all of the master constructs awoke and pushed the spirit possessors out of them. (Then we limit store able constructs to 40 points or less and give FD's a great respect for the casters who created them) (its what I like to call a 2fer)

Back