Foot wear

So, anyone know some good Footwear companies/sites?

I am currently looking at a pair of moccasin boots. I'm checking out Oregon Leather in Portland before buying online though...rather try stuff on for a good fit.
http://www.flirtcatalog.com/p-71367-men ... erralID=NA

www.sodhoppers.com

looks really good...I don't have personal experience with them, but they seem like a great site to order from and will custom fit for you. Just be warned that (from what I've read) it takes about 10-15 hours of wear to break them in, but then they should last 10-20 years in return.

-Luke G.

SCAboots.com has some cool boots for a fairly reasonable price. They have great customer service, but my opinion of the quality is mixed. Holly's have last her quite some time, I blew out the heels on mine their first event (which they replaced for free, next day shipped!), and my second set died after four events, with the soles tearing off completely, though that may or may not be due to either the way I take them off (pulling by the heel once they're all the way down).

jpariury said:
SCAboots.com has some cool boots for a fairly reasonable price. They have great customer service, but my opinion of the quality is mixed. Holly's have last her quite some time, I blew out the heels on mine their first event (which they replaced for free, next day shipped!), and my second set died after four events, with the soles tearing off completely, though that may or may not be due to either the way I take them off (pulling by the heel once they're all the way down).

I learned the trick to the on & off with my old cowboy boots I wore through high school, college, and finally retired 7 years ago (those puppies were pushing 20 years & 3 new sole work).

On the east coast, a lot of us have these: http://sonofsandlar.com/

They aren't cheap, but I'm on my 11th season with my Peasant's Boots and they are still just as awesome as the day I bought them!

Can't go wrong with a set of Bates and some nice boot covers

aara said:
On the east coast, a lot of us have these: http://sonofsandlar.com/

They aren't cheap, but I'm on my 11th season with my Peasant's Boots and they are still just as awesome as the day I bought them!

Those. I have a pair that's lasted me through two characters and nearly a decade.

Dom said:
Can't go wrong with a set of Bates and some nice boot covers

True, my current backup plan is some desert boots & scrap leather wrapped around the top.

http://www.dancestore.com/houseofandar/See-Our-Boots/products/89/

These boots are great. Only problem is availability. The most common mens sizes are not currently in stock (though after calling they said there should be a new shipment of knee high black boots this month). They do have the 4 button boots in full stock at the moment though.

Traeger said:
http://www.dancestore.com/houseofandar/See-Our-Boots/products/89/

These boots are great. Only problem is availability. The most common mens sizes are not currently in stock (though after calling they said there should be a new shipment of knee high black boots this month). They do have the 4 button boots in full stock at the moment though.
I've got a mid and full calf from Andar and they are the best boots I've ever worn.
The only downside is the lack of half sizes, but I've found a nice gel insole makes the boots quite comfy

I absolutely love my Son of Sandlar boots. They're costly up-front, but they last about a decade under heavy, heavy use, and longer than a decade for average larp use. So the per year cost is anywhere from $30-50 depending on how intense a larper you are.

I have their nine-button boots, and they provide excellent ankle support, without being too rigid, and shin protection as well (I'm prone to sliding on gravel). The nine-button closure system is quick to lace and unlace, and helps give a custom fit around your ankle and calf that I haven't felt in other boots. I have the Israel sole, which is the heaviest larp sole they make - it provides good grip, without picking up a lot of stones, and without sacrificing celerity or sneakiness.

Another bonus for the Son of Sandlar crew? The staff works to get you the boot which will fit your needs, within the guidelines of what you want. I wanted a particular button which would not hold up to the wear I put on my boots, and the person who sold me my boots steered me toward buttons which would. They made sure I had a boot the perfect size, in the colors I wanted, with the sole and buttons to accommodate my needs. I very much appreciated that!

Sorry for the thread necro, but I am really curious.

Are people still happy with their Sons of Sandlar boots? They look really expensive, but if they truly last a decade or more I can justify the cost.

Or, does anyone else have good suggestions on boot suppliers?

My previous 3 pairs of in-genre boots have all fallen apart within 4 events or less (including a pair from SCABoots). My only reliable boots have been a pair of motorcycle boots I purchased in 2002, but they are really beat-up now and I am getting a new costume so I am hoping to get a new pair that works with my new garb. Preferably, the new pair will also last more than 3 years (approximately 30+ events).

Alavatar said:
Sorry for the thread necro, but I am really curious.

Are people still happy with their Sons of Sandlar boots? They look really expensive, but if they truly last a decade or more I can justify the cost.

Yes. You get what you pay for, in my opinion.

Carmen just bought some that she intends to wear at the Oregon event. You can probably get a look first hand if you want, or maybe you can convince her to bring them to Planescape day sooner than that.

rainbow-unicorn_zpse8fe8916.jpg

Native Earth are the WC equivalent of Son of Sandlar, it was started by one of the original SoS guys and has similar makes and prices. You can find them at the local ren faires and pirate festivals.

Ali's got a pair and quite likes them.

Back