For Adventuring Eyes Only; Magnus Varov

Aicha

Due to the reaction of what occurred during Feast, we feel that for the sake of transparency and good faith to our fellow adventurers, we should speak on these current circumstances surrounding Magnus Varov. This statement is curated by those involved, some whom wish to have their identities protected. We ask that you do not repeat this outside our trust as we are navigating an incredibly sensitive situation.

Just before we left to fight Ris’sunus, a Tillbane messenger pulled Lorelei aside and reported that had found the Varov estate and needed someone to go investigate it. Seeing as it wasn't too far away and we were still in prep, Lorelei decided to take a moment to gather some adventurers up and take a peak.

After a quick peak around the house, we heard a commotion outside in the gardens. We arrived on scene to find Magnus himself, along with his child, Anya, looking frightened, and his wife, Celeste, feeding on who we later identified as one of the death row inmates who had disappeared some time ago. Upon finishing her meal, Celeste pulled back and screamed, realizing what she had done. An argument broke out. Celeste and Anya were upset that they had been transformed into monsters while Magnus tried to convince them that this was the only way they could be together. More arguing ensued. Lorelei stepped up to mediate and was able to convince Magnus to let them go so they could be given the gift of life and return to their normal state. We offered to look into the disease that gripped them in exchange for information on how he was able to gain his power and what we could do to stop the undead in Passwall. He agreed to these terms and walked away. Celeste and Anya were taken, given gifts of life, and put into hiding for their safety.

Celeste and Anya are still alive, but maybe have months to live. They live in comfort and are well taken care of. We have spent the past few months trying to find a way to prolong their life but we have only been able to find one pod that we can rent that would be able to hold one person in a ‘stasis’ of some kind that would prevent the disease from spreading. This is something we have not told Magnus yet and we do not see the conversation going smoothly.

As for Magnus, after the few exchanges we have had with him, he is not like any vampire we have fought before. He is extremely powerful and capable of using Old Magic and therefore is not someone we would take fighting lightly. However, he can be reasoned with. He desires to fix what he broke but his obsession of finding the cure for his wife and child makes it hard for him to step away from his vampire curse. It is a tense negotiation that can turn sour quickly if we do not play this well.

When we get more information about what to do about Passwall, we might ask for more, but this is what we are currently asking of the adventurers to help us.

1. Do not speak for us. If someone from Tillbane/Tanno/Rosen or wherever asks you about what happened, do not say anything unless you were there. Please have them directed towards Aicha or Lorelei and we will speak for ourselves.
  2. For the love of all that exists, Do Not Engage in Combat with Magnus. We are not ready to fight him. Even as a town effort, we are not ready. We don't expect people to exchange pleasantries with him, but by the Mist, making him our enemy right now would not end well for us….but we should prepare for the worst.
  3. If you wish to help, we need researchers on the case of Celeste's and Anya's illness. We are seeking Lore scrolls and any other ideas on what we can do to figure out exactly what we are dealing with.

We know some people are not going to be happy with this choice and this action but our priority lies with three things. One, making sure everyone gets out of this safely, two curing Celeste and Anya, and three, discovering how to fix Passwall. Where some of us do have more personal opinions on what we will do about Magnus, we are not fools to let empathy overrun rational thought. Magnus must have his power removed and be punished for his crimes in some way. Plain and simple.

If you have questions or advice, we welcome it. We will not, however, debate our choices. We made them. Nothing done now is going to change it and if we stop now, we could cause more damage than we could imagine. We have a major opportunity to make changes in Passwall, and we are taking it.

Thank you for listening and thank you for your support.

Signed
Squire Aicha, Cupbearer Lorelei, and others

While diseases are not my forte, I have been exploring the depths of the flying city for other reasons, and may be able to see about attempting to locate another functioning pod. Or other similar items they have left.

If we could meet during market to discuss I would appreciate it.

-Professor Benjamin Bookworm

Benjamin,

Over the months, we looked into Atupal and the training pods that are there. Roy even tried to give us some insights on what we could try. Unfortunately, the conclusion came that the pods were not capable of holding the magics required to stop the disease.

The pod that we did find comes from Apualette, a member of the Jester family of LaShangre. Her family is from Skain and has developed this pod where the user's bodily functions shut down and are maintained, while the mind is projected into a 'realm' where they can live out their best lives without their bodies failing them. Apualette said she is willing to rent her's at the proper cost. However, I doubt that she can and would allow us to steal her family secrets, or we would even have the time to do so. It is something we can ask when the time comes to make our trade agreement next market. If we are given the ability to try and replicate it, I would love your assistance in the research and development of it.

Thank you,
Cupbearer Lorelei

My first thought is to split the time in the pod if possible. This could double the time you have. But is could also push one to the brink where full recovery is not an option.

Are these Pods considered artifacts? Perhaps we could summon another one.

This is unusual suggestion, but if the diseases considered magical in nature, I wonder if a transfer enchantment could transfer the effect to another. Of course, you would want the recipient to be choosing to do so of their free will and fully understanding the cost, but it might also buy more time. If it has to go through it’s full infection cycle.

This disease or whatever it is, sounds unique enough that I wonder if it could be targeted by a hindsight ritual modification to gain more information about its transmission/origin.

Also, was the infected individuals Identified in a celestial circle of power?

Aramis Seablade

Also, our time elementals thing in this land perhaps you can make a deal with one of them. Or summon a magical creature with great healing powers.
Aramis Seablade

Aramis,

I do not believe these pods are considered artifacts. Any extra pods, according to Apaulette, are currently in use and I don't know if Celeste's and Anya's bodies can handle the strain of hopping in and out of stasis. I do not believe there are time elementals here and no known creature to be enough to cure this.

The disease is hereditary, Celeste's family had it before her, and she passed it down to her daughter. The body grows weak and tired until eventually giving out, leading to a death where the spirit does not go to the circle for resurrection. It should be noted that the Varov family are dark elves and have likely been looking at this longer than any public recognition. Magnus also hasn't given us his research yet so we still might have more information yet to come.

Can you tell me about this Hindsight ritual? I do not believe I have heard of it and I am not finding it in my ritual books.

-Lorelei

Cupbearer,

The Hindsight Ritual, allows a dream-like state combining a Vision and Lore to relive past events around a particular object. In Wayside before the magics changed It was done with a spark of empowerment. However, it is also in Gavaria.
The late Archivist Nathaniel Moroe, Court Wizard of Atish is credited with the discovery in these lands.

I believe that Anivia Amberheart, The Tempest Court Wizard of Cinem has preformed the ritual for some of the adventurers in the past. I believe I remember reading that and a pamphlet on a previous visit to these lands. I can ask her about it on Saturday morning. But I doubt it would be able to be ready and prepared for this gathering.

Aramis

Last edited:
Back