Formal Magic Clarifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldor

Artisan
I have discovered many discrepancies with the rituals listed on the forums and some changes that need to be made. I do not know if these are typos in the formal information posted, or are actual errors in the official write ups for each formal ritual.

Blissful Rest
Change Gypsy to Selunari

Damage Aura
Is the minimum reagents 4 or 5, as it states both?
· Base Difficulty, Difficulty 5, 4 Reagents, No Bonus to Damage Calls, Swings Magic
· Required Components: 4 This ritual requires 5 reagents as listed upon the scroll.

Elemental burst
Is the minimum reagents 1 or 3, as it states both?
· Base Difficulty, Difficulty 1, 1 Reagents, Elemental Burst Value: 30 1/Day (30)
· Required Components: 3 This ritual requires a minimum of 3 reagents to cast.

Enchant
Is the minimum reagents 1 or 3, as it states both?
· Base Difficulty, Difficulty 1, 1 Reagents, 1 Charge of a single Spell level 1-3
· Required Components: 1 This ritual requires 3 reagents as listed on the scroll.

Endure Elements
Is this a body or a physical ritual, as it states both, also I have heard you say it can be cast on an item.
· Scroll Type: Body
· Valid target: Physical.

Greater Wand
· Base Difficulty, Difficulty 5, 5 Reagents, +1Damage to Elemental Packet Attacks
· Required Components: 4 This ritual requires at least 4 reagents to cast.

Lore
Is this a celestial or general aspect?
· Aspect: General
· This is a Celestial Aspect ritual.

Master Construct
· Base Difficulty, Difficulty 4, 5 Reagents, 15 pts to spend
· Required Components: 4 This ritual requires 4 reagents as listed on the scroll.

Planar Gate
What is the scroll type, as both physical and Location are referanced.
· Scroll Type: Physical
· This ritual will cause a 10’ x 10’ gate to open between the area cast upon

Race Reaver
Gypsy needs to be changed to Selunari

Resonance
What is the scroll type of this ritual, Spirit or Location, as it references both.
· Scroll Type: Spirit
· The Resonance Ritual targets a defined area or structure such as a meadow, a grotto, a farmhouse, a ruined keep, etc where the Caster must place their Circle of Power to cast this Ritual.

Seek the Whole
What is the scroll type of this ritual, it references all types, yet says it is spirit. Also spell crafting lists it as spirit, which makes it only useful for finding ones spirit bottle, is that intentional.
· Scroll Type: Spirit
· To successfully cast this Ritual a Caster must be in possession of part of a person, place or object which has been broken or destroyed in any manner.

Summon Elemental (Foundation)
What is the scroll type of this ritual, universal or physical, as it references both.
· Scroll Type: Universal
· (Under spellcrafting is lists) Valid target: Physical

Summon Elemental (Magisterium)
Is the minimum reagents 2 or 3, as it states both?
· Base Difficulty, Difficulty 5, Catalyst + 3 Reagents, Magistarium Shard
· Required Components: 2 This ritual requires a catalyst and 2 reagents as listed on the scroll.

Summon Undead (Corporeal)
Is the minimum reagents 3 or 4, as it states both?
· Zombie, Base Difficulty, Difficulty 3, 3 Reagents, 1 Creature Summoned Per Level of Formal Magic
Rot Worm, Base Difficulty, Difficulty 3, 3 Reagents, 1 Creature Summoned Per 2 Levels of Formal Magic
· Required Components: 3 This ritual requires 4 reagents as listed on the scroll.

Summon Undead (Skeletal)
Is the minimum reagents 3 or 4, as it states both?
· Skeleton, Base Difficulty, Difficulty 3, 3 Reagents, 1 Creature Summoned Per Level of Formal Magic
Grave Dancer, Base Difficulty, Difficulty 3, 3 Reagents, 1 Creature Summoned Per 2 Levels of Formal Magic
· Required Components: 3 This ritual requires 4 reagents as listed on the scroll.

Other ritual issues
I understand that Golems are likely going away in 2.0, yet I would recommend changing the name of Construct and Master Construct to Golem and Master Golem until that occurs. There is no reason to use both terminologies.

In regards to ritual types, I would recommend changing the types, as the current types are confusing or not specific enough.

I would recommend using (Weapon, Item, Body, Spirit & location) instead, and just list the multiple types it works on instead of having universal that affects 2

The reason I would recommend this, is for a few reasons:
1. Universal is confusing, as it only does body and Item, which is not universal.
2. Because many of the physical rituals only work on weapons, not all physical items.

I know this is a long list, but having consistent information would be helpful

Some of these questions will be answered with changes to the Ritual System in 2.0. For Endure Elements, I'll point you to this ARC clarification from the past:

https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/endure-elements-ritual-errata-cont.15404/

For other items, we are currently discussing them and if any clarifications are made they will be posted here. Depending on the level of clarification and discussion (and potential involvement of the Owners or other national staff, if needed) this may take time.

Additional responses:

1. Where the summary line differs from a difficulty chart on number of reagents, always rely on the difficulty chart.

2. Lore was changed to a General aspect ritual a number of years ago; the reference to Celestial is a typo.

3. As noted in the Selunari introduction, all references to Gypsy throughout the ARB and rules documents should be updated to Selunari.

4. Planar Gate: Physical is correct, as it's targeting a specific object.

5. Resonance: Resonance affects the caster's spirit and allows them to "recall" information. As such, Spirit is the correct target (i.e. a caster with no Spirit would not be able to receive the information "resonated" to a spirit target).

6. Seek the Whole: Same as Resonance (the "part of an object" is an additional requirement, but not the target).

7. Summon Elemental: Note that the valid targets for Spellcrafted rituals might be different from the valid targets for the Ritually cast ritual. That said, all Summon X rituals should be Physical target.

8. Other issues: Please note that the ARC questions forum is for questions on how the existing rules work, not for suggesting changes. Contact your Owner for suggestions and recommendations of changes.

Thanks,
Bryan Gregory
ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back