[.11] Formal Magic Pre-req Inquiry

Unpopular Opinion:
With Magic Item Durations going to a "per Logistics Period" method to equalize their value across the chapters, their creation could be turned into a Production Point system fairly easily at a similar (if not same) cost as Treasure Policy. This would eliminate some of the unfun aspects of Ritual Casting (i.e. 3 hours of casting for a magic item), while leaving other aspects for cool RP (like casting that Permanent CoP, Haven of the Living, Planar Gate, etc.).

It would require a retooling of Formal Magic, High Magic, Treasure Policy, and Rituals in general, but could be done.

One more thin that would probably have to be taken into account is the two schools. Needing 100xp in scholarly skills that pertain to your primary school / secondary school. Or maybe 100xp in your primary and 150xp in your secondary. Otherwise someone could dual school halfway up either tree and then jump to formal (If that’s an option that pepople want, then sure, but it doesn’t quite make sense to me). It would add a new xp block to keep track of though is the downside.

One more thin that would probably have to be taken into account is the two schools. Needing 100xp in scholarly skills that pertain to your primary school / secondary school. Or maybe 100xp in your primary and 150xp in your secondary. Otherwise someone could dual school halfway up either tree and then jump to formal (If that’s an option that pepople want, then sure, but it doesn’t quite make sense to me). It would add a new xp block to keep track of though is the downside.

I honestly wouldn’t see it as an issue since you would only be able to access item creation anyway. The biggest re-tool would be ritual aspects (E/C/G) and sorting that out. You'd still have to dump into spells for the combat high magic if you wanted to be able to access it.

Unpopular Opinion:
With Magic Item Durations going to a "per Logistics Period" method to equalize their value across the chapters, their creation could be turned into a Production Point system fairly easily at a similar (if not same) cost as Treasure Policy. This would eliminate some of the unfun aspects of Ritual Casting (i.e. 3 hours of casting for a magic item), while leaving other aspects for cool RP (like casting that Permanent CoP, Haven of the Living, Planar Gate, etc.).

It would require a retooling of Formal Magic, High Magic, Treasure Policy, and Rituals in general, but could be done.

While it's something I'd be willing to put the work into, I think that's a pretty major revision and, as such, would take a significantly greater amount of time and testing. I'm not particularly a fan of band-aids, but in this case I think a less involved adjustment is actually the better one.

Yes...but neither are scholar skills, Norman....

You know...what we're talking about...counting towards Formal Magic...

You know what you -coulda- said was, "Put it behind a gold cost because scrolls are still a thing."

Gosh, marshal, get in the game.

You said it would decrease take outs, and we were talking about Artisans. I forgot scrolls. My bad. Many Artisans I can see taking one of the other two also, for take outs (specifically curse which can only be obtained via trap/alchemy).

Geez. Think of the other Artisan Archetypes :p

I did! They qualify for other great things!

Back