Formal magic

Jonathan

I am from a fairly new chapter and have never played in this system before so have very little knowledge of the skill costs of formal magic scrolls, my question is how many points in formal magic do people normally want to strike for to be able to cast with a good chance of success. I know it will vary based on which formal magic scroll you are attempting, but is there a good number of formal levels to shoot for early on? ( earth caster)

Thank you

If you want to be THE FORMAL GUY for your chapter the bare minimum I recommend is 30 Formal so you have a 90% success chance on a 20-rit Permanent Duration.

After that, you can start evaluating what Ritual Manipulations you would like to do to what rituals (i.e. is your goal to True Empower some rituals or get Casting Insight, for example? And which rituals are you aiming to do those manipulations on?) which will then guide you on what your next Formal goal will be. For instance, if your goal is to be able to True Empower an Expanded Enchantment Life then you'll need 4 (base difficulty)(or is it 5?) + 35 (True Empowerment Ritual manipulation) for a total of at least 39 (or 40). But, if you wanted to be able to perform Casting Insight on a Damage Aura+3, for instance, you'll need 25 (base)(or is it 21?) + 40 (Casting Insight) for 65 (or 61) total Formal.

Does that help?

(I don't remember the exact difficulty number anymore. Sorry)

Thanks Alavatar that does help give me a good idea ! Basically if going that route plan on taking formal levels for ever ;)

As an earth caster, 15 is your first goal line. At a weekend event, that's +15 body, a rebirth, and a cloak for high magic. It's also the magic number to wear a max suit of arcane armor.

20 for most formals you'll come across.

After that, it's really up to you. For earth casters, anything above that 15 is just more rituals that you can cast, manipulations you can do if you want, and healing healing healing.

As a reference to Seth's post (that'd be Alavatar), the base difficulty for an Expanded Enchantment is 2; that is, if you want to enchant an item with a level 1-3 spell. For a level 4-6 spell, it is Difficulty 3, and levels 7-9 makes it Difficulty 4.

And the base difficulty for a Damage Aura is 5 (if you just want to be able to swing the "Magic" carrier). If you want to add +1 Damage to that "magic" carrier, it is Difficulty 11; +2 Damage is Difficulty 17, and +3 damage is Difficulty 25.

Earth's Bounty is pretty terrible.

9 High Magic for 15 body over the course of the event, which will actually soak more healing from your healers.

Healer's Resolve nets you 135 points of Healing for the same cost.

It's a pretty fast incant, at that.

Just my opinion.

One of the things I am also looking at is whether to shoot straight for formals after getting my first lvl 9 or try to get my second and third first to enable being able to do cloaks and banes with high magic. OR to hit formal hard right off and come back after I have 15 -20 levels in to get those additional spots

I, personally, would get two 9ths and then my first formal, because then I can buy a Cloak.

Then four 9ths, and if I can get my hands on an arcane armor, 15 Formal.

After that, depends on whether you want a lot of battlemagic, formal magic, or a blend.

I recommend getting at least 1 Formal right off the bat (to read formal scrolls), but filling out your spell columns as soon as possible. Many of your useful High Magic abilities are limited by the number of 9th levels spells you have and it is always nice having a few extra Deaths ... I mean Lifes.

P.S. It may be a good idea to take my advice with a grain of salt. I play a heavy formal caster so I kind of expect others that want to be THE FORMAL GUY to invest significantly into formal. My expectations may not be realistic for most people.

Back