Former High Vindicator Vellano

Pokethulu

Fighter
Public Relations Committee
Greetings Fellow Adventurers,

I find myself questioning former High Vindicator Vellano's actions. Does anyone have any further information on why he did what he did? I understand that sometimes madness takes hold and not real logic or reason can explain actions. Yet, I feel that I am missing something. I heard his parents were Necromancers. Did he say anything while casting? Further information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Matron FallingStar

So my logic went from the fact that Necromancers were no longer killed but made slaves along with the next generation. So if his parents were slaves then he would be as well. By slaves i mean you belong to Earths Chosen. So he was probably mad about the policy. Then he planned to work with the Prince and then a vampire guy and make his plan come true. However a fellow Vindicator learned of a traitor but he was wrongfully sent to jail until we rescued him. In the end he wanted revenge for a bad policy.

Probably. Thats my take.

Maiev

Maiev,

This is new information to me. Could you perhaps send me a missive with that information. I did not know about the slavery or the arrest under false pretense.

Matron FallingStar

Lady FallingStar,

I may have some of the story.

I and the Adventure Capitalists returned to the Earth Chosen compound early Sunday morning to assist with searching the High Vindicator's bedchamber. Within, we found assorted personal effects, books, a sentry golem, and a unique mechano-magical device.

The rest of the chamber's contents were typically banal, however upon reviewing the device we came to understand it was displaying images from what we believe to be High Vindicator's past. I cannot speak to the nature of this device, the meaning of the story revealed, or even the accuracy of the "memories" within, however I can relay what we saw.

The scene opened on very recent Rathfall past, perhaps 30 seasons since: a human father and mother doting upon a child in a crib. The perspective was unsettling as though simultaneously external to all three participants while still inhabiting the child's point of view.

Soon, this tranquil scene was shattered as the door was kicked from its hinges and three bloodied and armoured combatants charged the room. The three soldiers made short work of the mother and father, leaving the child squalling in its soiled bed clothes. Two of the soldiers moved to put the child to the sword, when the third, a lieutenant by rank at his shoulder, commanded them to stop.

The officer lifted the child for inspection. In a blur, the perspective shifted and we were face to face with the young human. Though clean-shaven and less-weathered, we were looking into the eyes of the man who would soon become Padishah Adrian VI of the Earth's Chosen.

He said, "Perhaps there is another way. Perhaps, we needn't kill all necromancers and can instead bring them to The Truth. I will keep this one and raise it as my own. Tell the men that all necromancers found will now be converted. We will ensure they are Devoted to the way." With that, he tucked the child who would become High Vindicator Vellano into the crook of his cuirass and walked from sight.

I do not know whether the High Vindicator built this device to uncover his own past or was gifted the device and thus uncovered it unnaturally. Regardless, the outcome seems the same. Confronted with his and the Padishah's past, he decided violence and destruction of all Rathfall was his only recourse. He took the Devoted in hand, shaped them to his will, and we all know the results.

After reviewing the contents of the device, Sir Fiona and Squire Raganarok felt it was proper to return the device to the Earth's Chosen to allow them an unredacted vision of events. Earth Chosen Initiate Regnar brought the news and device to Earth Chosen Adjutant James and revealed the story. How they will respond is anyone's guess.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Last edited:
Headmaster Hartsboon,

Thank you for this information. Perhaps Vellano let rage and grief sit in his heart too long till it began to fester? We shall never know. But, having an inclination of what might have happened, does to an extent put my mind at ease.

Lady FallingStar

Lady FallingStar,

I do not know this High Vindicator Vellano. He definitely sounds unsettled. Perhaps I could travel with you next time to this land of Fallen Rath, others are talking about, to as see if my mental abilities could help him.

Aramis Seablade.

Captain Seablade,

I would be glad to have you travel with me on my sojourn into Rathfall.

Their moon almost crashed into their Mist Sphere of the Grimere Expanse. Regrettably, it was too late once we arrived as the moon was incredibly close and would have crashed, within a day or so. And we could not take further action to try to heal High Vindicator Vellano. As his treachery was not fully revealed until he killed Padishah Adrian VI. At that point Father Moon dissipated and we could wait no longer.

Also, the people of the Expanse do not posess an Adventurer's spirit so, he will not be able to go through a Circle for resurrection. Thank the Heavens he is gone. I do suspect that even with him dead his followers may remain. I can send you a full accounting of what happened if you would like.

Lady FallingStar

I feel the need to provide one small, but important note and clarification, for the record. While we were told that the people of Rathfall cannot resurrect, I would note that we watched Villano's spirit be shattered when his first ritual (the three circle one) was backlashed, and then saw him again shortly thereafter on the moon casting anew. The government there also has permanent earth circles for a reason.

Also, necromancy and undead exist in those lands (with a well known accomplice of Villano being a vampire), so having him return as an undead is also not out of the question, depending on what was done with his body.

I would not assume he is gone forever, only that we prevented this scheme from coming to fruition. An enemy forgotten is a knife in the back.

Last edited:
Binar,

You are correct there. I was operating under the presumption that as he was channeling the power of the moon and the moon goes through cycles, that his body appearing again akin to a Resurrection was a side effect of higher magics. As lines of communication between the two mist spheres are difficult it may be hard to confirm his permanent death. I stayed over his body a goodly amount of time but, it was over an hour to confirm that he did indeed not dissipate. I hope that his threat is gone.

Lady FallingStar

The Spirit Farewell Dragonscript is well known in The Grimere Expanse. I would expect the Earth's Chosen to conduct the ritual once the new Padishah is selected in order to debrief the former High Vindicator and, hopefully, offer his Spirit some solace and peace before he leaves for The Graveyard. Several members of Wayside have joined the Earth's Chosen and would likely have a strong case to make for inclusion or observation of this final rite. That would offer a level of proof that the man is not returning in some necromantic fashion.

If the Earth's Chosen cannot be prevailed upon to complete this Dragonscript, there is also a diplomatic argument to be made that ongoing relations with the Kingdom of Wayside should include this gesture as an act of goodwill to the adventurers who damaged their Spirits while defending the Expanse.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Back