Fortannis short story book: Stories wanted

WRITERS!

I am starting work on a short story collection. You are invited to participate.

My publisher (Double Dragon -- http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/) has agreed to look at the finished product and if it is up to their standards, to make it available both as a paperback and an e-book (and as such, it will be on Amazon, and purchasable as a kindle or an ipad document too).

I will also make it available on my web page and promote it at conventions I attend and so on. It will also help promote the game, as people will read it and hopefully be inspired to check us out.

So, the kicker is: If your short story is accepted, you will not only be an actual, real published author, but you'll even get paid. (Disclaimer: we'd have to sell a LOT of books before the payment will be more than a few bucks, especially since we have to split the fee based on how many writers are a part of the book.)

I will be editor, and I mean that in a real sense. Your story may be rejected and may require rewrites and you will have to be willing to work with me to get it the best it can possibly be.

My advice is to treat the game the way I did in my novels: Use the game world and the plot, but don't pay too much attention to the rules. (In my novels, I only have one school of magic, and don't pay attention to spell levels and so on -- if I need my character to cast a Sleep spell for plot reasons, then that's good enough for me.) Also, avoid using other people's PCs and instead create all new characters. That way no one can complain that you portrayed their character inappropriately.

If you are interested, send me an email with your story idea. (I'd like to make sure we don't get 10 entries with the same basic plot) michael.ventrella@gmail.com

The final story should be no more than 10,000 words or so.

Based on the response I receive, I will set reasonable deadlines.

Please spread this announcement around to all your chapters, and especially to your Plot people who are used to doing a lot of writing!

Any questions?

Re: Fortannis short story book: contribute!

I've had a few responses already, which is good!

Please remember that I am not necessarily looking for transcripts of your adventures. These are short stories, not modules. There's nothing wrong with doing a story about a card game or an argument. The story does not have to be an adventure story.

Some more advice, based on the inquiries I've received so far:

Most of the submissions so far have been of the "character history" variety -- how a young person gets involved and thrust into the world of adventuring. While this can of course be interesting (especially if well written) we don't want readers to have too many stories that are similar.

This doesn't have to be about you or your character. And it doesn't even have to be historically accurate in-game.

My novels, for instance, describe things that have never happened in Ashbury. The most recent, AXES OF EVIL, is about how the barbarians killed Duke Aramis and a prophecy that predicts their destruction. None of that happened in-game. IG, my books are fiction! :D

Try to be creative so that the variety of stories can appeal to nonplayers.

In fact I'd like to open this thread up for ideas. Those of you who are reading who don't want to write a story might still have a good idea or two to share, right?

How about a story about pirates having to deal with angry mermaids? A meeting of dragons to discuss what to do about all these adventurers who want to kill them? A group of wylderkin who normally would be attacking each other are forced to work together to defeat a common enemy?

Those were just quick off the top of my head.

And remember, it doesn't have to be an adventure. A good story needs conflict, but conflict can come from many places, not just battle.

I suggest those of you who want to write do some brainstorming first. What would YOU want to read? What would make you go "Man! That story ought to be great!" if you read a short description of it. "A young man becomes involved in a life of adventuring after his village is attacked" is just, well, too normal and not that exciting to be honest (at least not without some sort of twist to the plot).

Sorry, I'm gonna be a bit tough here. I need these stories to be of the kind you would see in a professionally published book, because if they're not, my publisher may decide not to take the collection....

Mike,

All Official Announcements threads have been made read-only to non National Committee members. If you want them to reply to this thread, we can either move this thread to another section of the board, or make another thread to discuss this one and link to it here. Let me know.

Robb Graves said:
Mike,

All Official Announcements threads have been made read-only to non National Committee members. If you want them to reply to this thread, we can either move this thread to another section of the board, or make another thread to discuss this one and link to it here. Let me know.

Ah, I didn't realize that! yes, let's move this somewhere else.

done. i also left a shadow link there so they know it's been moved here.

Re: Fortannis short story book: Contribute: DEADLINE 8/1

OK, having received a good number of inquiries, I am setting a deadline for August 1st.

Let's see how many actually come through and submit!

Send me your stories by then. Email them to michael.ventrella@gmail.com

They must be double spaced in a word document and your name and email must be included in the document. Please list the word count as well.

I'm also looking for someone to do a cover. I'd rather have one of our own than rely on what the publisher provides.

And we need a good name for the collection. "Tales from Fortannis" doesn't have much of a ring.

Remember that all stories are subject to rejection. Ones that are accepted may also need editing.

Later this weekend, I will post the names of those who said they are interested and what their story topic will be.

This is for two reasons:

1. It will encourage them to get it done, knowing that people may be looking forward to their story;

2. It will help everyone see what ideas are being used so as not to duplicate topics too much.

Please understand that if I get more than one story on basically the same topic, I will probably only accept one even if both are well written. You don't want to have a short story collection that has similar plotlines for different stories. So be original!

Remember, it doesn't have to be an adventure. A story about an archery competition could work just fine.

I've set up a google group in which to discuss this project. Send me an email if you wish to be included.

Some published authors I know have expressed an interest as well in contributing, so that may help sell the book!

totally interested Mike! It sounds awesome! Ill be brainstorming like crazy. expect an email from me shortly

Deadline is approaching! So far I've only received 3 stories. Let me know if you have something almost done and need a bit more time.

Can the stories, if there are any, which are rejected from the book for whatever reason still be sorta "published" as a PDF collection or whatever for other Alliance LARP people to read?

I love looking at the Art that people pop up here- I'd love to see some sort of organized collection of art and stories by our players for our players to enjoy and share. :) Maybe we could organize more alliance-wide projects like this (a collection of art, a comic book, something?) and put out some sort of year book for each other every year?

Well, I'd like this to be that collection. But at the same time, I don't want to just publish anything. If you are a poor writer, it doesn't necessarily make us look good.

Fearless Leader said:
Well, I'd like this to be that collection. But at the same time, I don't want to just publish anything. If you are a poor writer, it doesn't necessarily make us look good.

I think he meant as a sort of just for us thing. :p Since they would have been rejected from your project that'd mean they aren't being published in another capacity. That said, I would imagine that it would be up to the individual authors to decide what they want to do with their intellectual property. If people wanted to, could always just post them on the forums. I don't think people would hold having less than brilliant authors against us as a community.

Vazhi said:
Fearless Leader said:

I think he meant as a sort of just for us thing. :p Since they would have been rejected from your project that'd mean they aren't being published in another capacity. That said, I would imagine that it would be up to the individual authors to decide what they want to do with their intellectual property. If people wanted to, could always just post them on the forums. I don't think people would hold having less than brilliant authors against us as a community.

Good point!

Certainly people can post their stories here -- that's exactly why we have a "Fiction and Art" section!

Vazhi said:
Fearless Leader said:

I think he meant as a sort of just for us thing. :p

Yep that is what I meant lol.
I, unfortunately, am not one of those gifted writers spoken of and was not able to make my intention clear. :) I figured I'd mention it so maybe rejected authors could be reminded they can still post here if they don't make The Book.

Re: Fortannis short story book: Contribute:

I've received some stories but could use more, and have not yet read the ones submitted (some of which may not make the grade) so if anyone is still writing, send it in. (And if it doesn't make this one, maybe there will be a sequel)

my short story materials is in the fiction art thread. can you read and tell me if it is worthy? -dawson

I still need more stories; I have about 10 but many are quite short.

Come on, we have writers here on all our Plot Committees. Surely more of you would like to be professionally published!

Please contribute.

So far, the following stories have been accepted:

The Great Green Kettle Pie Caper / Roy Booth
Listen to a Tale, My Friends / Mike Strauss
Behind the Bar / Mark Mench
The Messenger / Matt Plourde

Grip of Chaos / Laurel Ann Hill
Bad Debts / Bernie Mojzes
Suffer the Liar / Ron Leota
A Child's Tale / Davey Beauchamp
Soren the Healer / Tera Fulbright
Stealing the Sky / Danny Birt

The first group consists of Alliance players who contributed (and who were accepted; sorry, not every story made the grade). The second group consists of writers I know who have been published previously and who have never played Alliance. Their names will help sell the book, I'm sure. (Oh, and yeah, I still need to write mine)

So here's the problem: Most of these stories are very short. We don't have enough (yet) to fill a book. We need more contributions.

And I know there are creative people out there! Come on folks, contribute to this collection! PM me if you need more details.

Back