G4 wants families!

whorfin

Well, sorta.
The entertainment channel G4 is thinking about doing a show about LARPing. They are currently interested in hearing/talking to families that play together. (i.e., father-son, mother-daughter, father-daughter, etc.)
Please let me know if:

You are part of a gaming family. (Just to get a feel of how many are out there.)

You are part of a gaming family, and don't mind talking to the G4 people.

Thanks!

My mom and I both LARP. She actually LARPs with a group other than Alliance, but she'll probably be playing Alliance this coming season. I don't think either of us would have a problem talking to the G4 folks.

Depending on which G4 show is producing this segment I would keep an eye on them, they've in the past haven't put LARP'ing in the best of light. It may have more to do with costuming from what I've seen. Every show I've seen that has a spot on Larp'ing the costuming the players had just was not taken seriously. Not saying that our Alliance players don't have awesome costuming, as a matter of fact it's nice to see how far the Alliance has grown as far as costume options now available to players.

Justin H-

paythin said:
Depending on which G4 show is producing this segment I would keep an eye on them, they've in the past haven't put LARP'ing in the best of light. It may have more to do with costuming from what I've seen. Every show I've seen that has a spot on Larp'ing the costuming the players had just was not taken seriously. Not saying that our Alliance players don't have awesome costuming, as a matter of fact it's nice to see how far the Alliance has grown as far as costume options now available to players.

Justin H-

We've got some people with great outfits out here, so with enough notice, I'm not too worried about that... but then, I also still believe in the Great Pumpkin.
:)

OK, I've gotten confirmation from G4 that they'd like to talk to families that LARP. Please either send me a PM with a contact email addy or email me at J_whorfin@yahoo.com and I will send you the appropriate info. Thanks!

They came up ok for me... fairly entertaining, but not really a very friendly portrayal.

markusdark said:
Before y'all go too crazy about this, allow me to direct you to two of the G4/X-play shows on LARPing from 2006:

http://g4tv.com/xplay/videos/10527/Wild ... ngdom.html
http://g4tv.com/xplay/videos/10581/The- ... earch.html

The first one was when Tech TV said they wanted to do a good show with research on LARPing. Then Tech TV was merged into G4.

These are the folks who want to talk to larp'ers to do another documentary? After seeing them put forth videos like this I wouldn't give them anything if they payed. :?

Yeah, if you look up a lot of vids on LARPing, they don't exactly put us in a great social light. We're oft' portrayed as social outcasts, 35 year old virgins that live in their mother's basement and people who can't accept reality. >_<

Can I just say that those hosts are terrible actors? That has nothing to do with the pieces, they were just the most unnatural hosts I've ever seen. To be fair, it's as much the producers' fault for making them read everything off a script.

As for stereotypes, I don't think I have one hobby that doesn't have a strong negative stereotype associated with it. Getting interested in LARPing, it's been no different, except that it's a different subset of people who hold this stereotype. For me, if they and their audience enjoy making fun of pastimes they don't participate in, good for them. I'll be over here having fun solving interesting programming problems, improvisational acting with impromptu combat, exercising my brain and my thumbs, or breaking out into songs from Broadway musicals. To each his own, and if they don't want to hang out with me because of some of my hobbies, I find it highly unlikely that I would want to hang out with them.

Okay, that went off in a different direction than I originally intended. Readers' digest version: stereotypes are unfortunate. Oh well.

case in point....if you don't make it/have it in writing, you are subject to the "cutting room floor".

Back