Gaining new skills/ being updated in the database

When you go to a multi day event, are the characters ever updated in between days so that they can learn a new ability the first day, then use it the next? Or are all your Exp saved until the end of the event? Sorry, this is probably a seriously noobish question, but then again I am putting it under new player questions.

Umm....you can not gain any new skill during an Event weekend...you get youre XP and Build after the event...but you would need to get teacher cards during the weekend for new skills you dont have yet...

This is explained in the rulebook...so...

I know it's in the rulebook, I read the exp/ level thing like three times and it didn't say anything really about whether or not it happens after the event, though I kinda drew that conclusion from the example that didn't include compounding exp interest, I just wasn't sure. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

When you learn a new skill, whoever teaches it to you will have a teacher card. Both players put their names and info on the card and you turn it in at logistics the next day or end of the game, depending when you learned the skill. The person with the database enters that skill on your character card with a "0" value until such time that you choose to spend the build points to purchase the skill.

Purchasing skills with build can be done as part of the pre-registration process before the event (which makes the logistics team very happy) or it can be done at opening logistics before the start of the first night. After that, no more skills can be purchased until the next game weekend/event. There is no limit on the number of new skills you may learn other than having the prerequisite skills/following racial restrictions. (EDIT: Ignore this sentence pending an ARC ruling)

Obviously, you cannot purchase a skill until you learn it, so it effectively takes two events/weekends to be able to use a new skill (for example: learn in May, purchase and use for June). The timeline from learning to using is also obviously longer for skills that require more build, and as you get to higher levels, you earn less build points per event. For this reason, many players recommend buying the "expensive" skills first and then filling in other less expensive skills later.

(EDIT: Ignore this next paragraph pending an ARC ruling)
This system also makes learning all the spell levels take at least 10 events (assuming starting with the prereqs to learn magic) or 12 events if you need to learn Read & Write and then Read Magic, and a full 13 to learn Read and Write, First Aid, Healing Arts, then the Earth Magic levels. So if you are going to play a caster, it is very wise to come in with your caster already knowing how to cast and a couple levels of magic.

I think that answers your question and then some, haha.

Cheshire Catalyst said:
When you go to a multi day event, are the characters ever updated in between days so that they can learn a new ability the first day, then use it the next? Or are all your Exp saved until the end of the event? Sorry, this is probably a seriously noobish question, but then again I am putting it under new player questions.

To give you the most complete answer...

Event blankets are applied at the end of the event. They are done in one lump sum. Multiply your BP times 2 and that is the amount of XP that will be added to your character for a BP gain to be figured off of.

You cannot purchase new skills in the middle of an event since you do not receive the free build until after the event has occured.

The only exception to this is if you acquire new teacher cards, then have the Spirit Forge ritual cast upon you. At that time, all your skills revert to present but unpurchased on your card. Once you have finished rebuilding your character, any skills left unpurchased will be removed from your card. You will have to be retaught them if you wish to relearn them in the future.

OrcFighterFTW said:
This system also makes learning all the spell levels take at least 10 events (assuming starting with the prereqs to learn magic) or 12 events if you need to learn Read & Write and then Read Magic, and a full 13 to learn Read and Write, First Aid, Healing Arts, then the Earth Magic levels. So if you are going to play a caster, it is very wise to come in with your caster already knowing how to case and a couple levels of magic.
This is not true. There is nothing that says you cannot learn multiple skills in a single event. It is possible to learn all the spell levels of both schools, all the PTD skills, and all the rogue skills in a single event, though the actual likeliness of it is nonexistent (considering you'd have to find time and teachers to teach you all that).

EDIT: Question posted on the ARC board.

Really? That's not how it was described to me and enforced at the last game. I was not allowed to learn (per a Marshall that I asked and other players agreed) my 5th level of Earth Magic because I did not yet purchase my second 4th spell slot thus did not have the prerequisite skill to learn. I think this needs to be clearly stated by ARC or a LOT of people have been doing this wrong. (Also, I'd like that 5th level spell)

The only direct text I could find on it was in the Rulebook (.pdf version) Page 51:

"To learn Alchemy, you must first know how to
Read and Write and must know Herbal Lore."

However, the previous sentence says,
"When buying skills, be sure to check the
prerequisites. For instance, to buy Weapon Proficiency,
you must first have a weapon skill to
be proficient in and four Critical Attack skills."

So it is ambiguous. Does "knowing" mean be able to use or simply have it on the character card?

I only replied with how the whole teaching thing was explained to me by an experienced player. Until someone with absolute, matter-of-fact knowledge on this comments, ignore the indicated sections of my previous post.

Thanks Alexander for helping uncover this inconsistency and ensuring quality control of the game! :D

OrcFighterFTW said:
Really? That's not how it was described to me and enforced at the last game. I was not allowed to learn (per a Marshall that I asked and other players agreed) my 5th level of Earth Magic because I did not yet purchase my second 4th spell slot thus did not have the prerequisite skill to learn. I think this needs to be clearly stated by ARC or a LOT of people have been doing this wrong. (Also, I'd like that 5th level spell)

What you were told is wrong (if I am reading your post correctly). The Prerequisite for a 5th level spell is "Earth Level 4/Celestial Level 4" (Pg. 55 pdf).If you don't have enough build to purchase the learned skill it will become a 0 on your CC.

"If you have a skill taught to you before
you have enough Build Points, it will be on
your character card but have a value of “0”
where it will remain until there are enough Build
Points for it to be purchased. You may not use
any skill with a value of '0'." (Pg. 52 pdf).

It does not limit the amount of zeros on a CC (from what I could find).

There is a limit on the number of 0's (I think it's two). But yes you can be taught multiple things in one weekend.

Let's say I'm playing a low level scholar, Right now I know only first and second level spells. I can get teacher cards for 3rd and 4th in the same event. You need to be taught them in the right order, and obviously I can't spend build on the 4th level ones without spending the appropriate build on the 3rd level ones and below (depending on how my current pyramid is built).

But no, skills are not applied during an event (with the exception of the spirit forge ritual, as was mentioned). You can roleplay that with something like "Well, Kuwo taught me the principles but I think I need to practice a little before I'm ready to actually cast that spell." Please don't ever say "well I got my teacher card but haven't spent the build yet" in an in-game conversation.

Ezri said:
There is a limit on the number of 0's (I think it's two). But yes you can be taught multiple things in one weekend.

Let's say I'm playing a low level scholar, Right now I know only first and second level spells. I can get teacher cards for 3rd and 4th in the same event. You need to be taught them in the right order, and obviously I can't spend build on the 4th level ones without spending the appropriate build on the 3rd level ones and below (depending on how my current pyramid is built).

But no, skills are not applied during an event (with the exception of the spirit forge ritual, as was mentioned). You can roleplay that with something like "Well, Kuwo taught me the principles but I think I need to practice a little before I'm ready to actually cast that spell." Please don't ever say "well I got my teacher card but haven't spent the build yet" in an in-game conversation.

where is the limit of 0's rule in the book?

Hmmmm... maybe that was done away with, or maybe the person who told me that was talking out of their arse.

As for the number "0" Skills you can have...the book does not say anything on how many you can have...only that you can use them until you have spent build on them...

as for the You need R/W and HL before you can learn Alch. ....if you have someone teach you R/W...and then someone teach you HL and then Alch....that fine....you just need to spend the BP on them in that order...R/W then HL and then Alch...and once you have learned Alch 1...you do not need anyone to teach you anymore levels....but you would need to find someone to "teach" you the recipes... ;)

Matt K.

There is no limit to the number of zeros that can be on your character card. There used to be some chapters that restricted it, but I don't believe that it was ever in an Alliance rulebook (though it may have been in there pre-split).
You can have every skill in the game on your character sheet listed as a zero at first level, assuming that you manage to get all of those teacher cards. You are not required to have spent the build on one skill in order to get a teacher card for the next one. For example, another PC and I tag-team taught someone from level 4 spells to formal at the week long event a few years ago.

Now, if you don't possess a skill (have spent build on it so that it is no longer a zero) then you can't teach it or use it in any way, but you're allowed to spend build on it whenever you've got it free.

((Also, consider that a Zero limit of 2 would screw scouts. If they have Backstabs and Profs, they could have Zeros of both Crit Attacks and Back Stabs, which would make it impossible for them to learn any other skills.)

obcidian_bandit said:
((Also, consider that a Zero limit of 2 would screw scouts. If they have Backstabs and Profs, they could have Zeros of both Crit Attacks and Back Stabs, which would make it impossible for them to learn any other skills.)

Did you mean "If they want.."??

because once you learn a skill you dont need to be taught that skill again...i.e. if you have a Backstab and Prof they you should have already learned Crit Att and Back Att....

No, I meant what I said.
If you have 2 Profs and 2 Backstabs, but no Crit Attacks or Back Attacks, those will appear with zeros on your card, since you don't need to learn them again, but you don't have any purchased. If you could only have two zeros on your card, you couldn't learn anything new until you'd bought a Crit Attack or Back Attack, which would be silly.

ahh..got ya....did think of it that way...but then again...only have 1 character with either skill...and I've only played it 1 time.. :)

Back