Gern's awkward hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gern, local goblin map maker

Gern fidgeted as she neared the breach. Things seemed better, but coming here still made her nervous. She had to though! She wanted to make friends with the things living at the breach, they were less scary then the dead things and the angry fay things. So one less thing trying to hurt goblins is a good thing! Yes, so into the breach... Keep good talks going, then less goblins get killed.

Gern paused at the base of the hill, peaking around the trees... No! Peaking is for sneaks, I'm a friend, not a sneak. She tells herself, then cautiously begins to walk through the breach.

"If they want to talk I'll say hello! And and... What do humans talk about??? Weather! And what they had for dinner. And and... Um, if they bought new things." Gern thought to herself as the slowly walked. She looked around, every which way, for faces familiar or otherwise. "And if I see something, I need to smile! That's a nice thing, a friend thing.", Gern though as she nervously chewed on a fingernail.

It isn't long before whispers of a Goblin in Parson's Breach spread to the ears of the Magistrate of the area. Mobeus nods to some of the locals that make mention of this fact and proceed to speak to this individual. Noticing right away her caution and demeanour.

Mobeus kneels down for a moment, "Hello Gern... humans talk about a great deal of things, spreading from what you have suggested, weather and the like... to other things." He pauses for a moment before continuing, "I have much to ask you about, and to tell you about, in hopes of a mutual understanding. You've no reason to fear the breach unless you do something to harm people, but I know you understand that as you have aided us in the past." His voice is tempered, he is obviously attempting to be cordial and pleasant, but there are definitely undercurrents of something darker between the lines.

"The past... that is something I am interested to talk about..." he stands up quietly and points out to a place to sit, "Perhaps a more relaxed place to sit?" he offers earnestly.

(Moved from Kai returns)
*Kai's wandering attention is also drawn to the strange creature. Unsure of exactly what is happening, she keeps her distance from Gern and Mobeus. Her sensitive ears are pointed in their direction though, and her rampant curiosity seems to buoy her flagging spirits.*

*She swats at the fly again, still doing it no damage. With one paws she absent-mindedly starts to pick stuff out of her fur, as she listens to the two converse.*

Gern, goblin map maker

Gern liked Mobeus. He had every reason not to like goblins, but he was very understanding! He seemed to want to build a better relation between the breach and goblins, and that made Gern happy. It made her a bit sad though that Mobeus always seemed a little mad or sad around her... The undertone of his voice was so unpleasant, but he was trying very hard to be nice, and that was something.

Gern smiled, "Hello Mobeus.", she looked over at the seat he had gestured at and nodded. "Okay. The past wasn't very nice to your home... It hasn't been very nice to lots of goblin homes either, but we can make those things stop." She says as she sits down. Gern picks awkwardly at her clothing, playing with a loose thread, she doesn't like talking about such unpleasant things. It's not as if anything can be done to change the past, so what difference does it make? Bad things happened, but if everyone tries to be friends there will be much less bad things.

"As you know I come from the House Remmington..." his tone is even, matter of factly in this instance, "I don't think many in the breach fully understand why I have such a demeanour around your people, or where it stems from. I was raised to be a good man, following edicts of nobility, championing the weak, upholding the law, protecting what is just. It is these edicts that have spared you and those of your kin that do not wish humans harm. It is sad but you seem like an anomaly or an aberrant of your kind, much like Ixit. I would like to see you two meet someday.." His words stray for a moment, but just for a moment..

"But as I was saying.. I don't think the breach knows where my history comes from, or why our people are at such an impasse. I was Mobeus Grayloch, Squire of Remmington, several years ago, Me and the other squires were pitted against each other in friendly rivalry for a knighthood that only one of us could have achieved. One cold night we were awoken in our barracks by a call to arms. Goblins had invaded our keep, but we squires were arrogant and cocky, the Goblins have never been a great threat to a whole keep.. only those who dared wander off in small groups.. women and children.. or the solitary adventurer could ever be defeated by Goblins."

"Our arrogance and ignorance were our greatest mistakes, we left the keep in search of a camp.. the warcamp of the goblins. A trophy from their leader would exalt us, and possibly mean the difference between being a knight or not. It wasn't long before we scattered and searched the woods. I happened upon a few sentries, and with my mystical ability.. I defeated them." His tone changes to one of solemn remorse, "I am sorry if they were close to you..." he returns to his story, "Upon proceeding, there were hundreds of tents, Goblins in numbers unseen. I ran back to the keep with all the speed I could muster.. to find the whole place inflamed and overrun by goblins."

"Remmington was lost to me that night, my family, my friends, my whole life was lost to them.. I left it behind not having the strength to fight back or..." Mobeus grimaces for a moment before saying, "Avenge... my losses." Mobeus turns to Gern and sighs, "In the year and a bit I have been in this breach serving as a Magistrate, I have seen a handful of your people achieve great leaps in fields of intelligence, understanding, and most fascinating of all, compassion." Mobeus looks at Gern and gingerly says, "I want to foster that, more then I want Vengeance.. but I may need your help in the coming months, this was the main reason I needed to talk to you."

Mobeus stands himself up and offering his hand, "I need your help... will you aid me if you can?"

Still feeling the aftereffects of his brush with death, Phelan makes his way around Parsens breach. He stops and looks around as a somewhat familiar scent catches his attention.
a goblin lass?? could that be, oh what was her name again....fern,hern no thats not it. Aha Gern thats the name. Now what could she be doing her I wonder.

Phelan follows Gern's scent and comes across her in what seems to be an important discussion with Mobeus. Not wanting to intrude, Phelan starts to turn around, when he spots Kai hovering near by them.
Smiling to himself he quickly steps over towards her.

"Well met Kai. How did you fair on your quest?" He whisper to her

*Is glad to see Phelan and she gives him most of a smile, still not feeling like herself.*
I'm not sure I'm ready to talk about it. There is a lot to think about.
*She hugs him briefly*
Seems like there's been some adventure while I was gone. *She waves a paw in the general direct of the goblin and the Magistrate*
Maybe... this might not be the place.
*It's quite obvious that she is torn between going elsewhere to catch up, and sitting here in silence to eavesdrop. Being near but not part of the conversation would be both rude and distracting.*

Maybe we should head to the market? I could use a snack and all my bready stuff has gone stale.
*She takes a half-step closer and winces, then puts her paw out to the big wolf-kin, wordlessly begging his assistance.*

Gern, goblin map maker

Gern listened to Mobeus, sitting on her hands to keep from fidgeting. She shifted nervously as he spoke of past violence, shifting her gaze from Mobeus to the ground at her feet and back again. When he asked for her help, Gern nodded, "I will help if I can." She paused for a moment, apparently uncertain what to say next.

"...what do you want help with?"

"I have plans, to return someday soon to my home.. The area is likely still full of goblinkin." He pauses for a moment before asking, "There is a need to settle this, so no more lives are lost on either side. You are the perfect person to ensure that peace for our people can exist."

Mobeus speaks softly, "I want to get a map that shows a way to get to Remmington without hurting anybody, you would be an expert at that. I want the opportunity for the Goblins in Remmington to tell us of their stance, what do they really want, or is this a simply case of just destroying humans and their homes? I want to give your people the fullest benefit of the doubt."

Mobeus' voice drops for a moment, "If none of this works, I have no further options but to continue the feud. If you are unwilling to help us, it will be likely I will take a large group through directly and that will cost many lives. I want your help to do what is good, but I will not waiver to do what is necessary."

Placing his hand on the crest of his house he speaks plainly, "I am much more reasonable than many humans in that area you may have heard stories of, I was raised to hate your people, trained how to kill them, there is a lot of hatred still in my blood for what has happened. However, if you can be so reasonable during these dark times, I would be a poor example of a man to not give it the chance to ensure peace."

"Give it some thought Gern, I have no quarrel with you, and in fact count you as an ally. If you feel uncomfortable or unwilling, this doesn't change my views of you, but I will be returning home, and what happens at that point may rest heavily on we accomplish together."

Yetta's nerves are frayed as the date of Magnus's departure looms closer. She makes a big pot of chamomille tea to relax with, and steps out of her tent to enjoy it in the fresh air.
She notices Gern and Mobeus talking, as well as Phelan and Kai looking on.
'Everyone seems so serious' she thinks, and goes back into her tent.
A few minuters later, Yetta emerges from her tent, carrying a tray. On it is a big pot of tea and mugs.
She calls out to Phelan and Kai, whom she reaches first "May I interest either of you in sharing some tea with me?"

(Kai and Phelan leave for the market, paw in paw)

Gern, goblin map maker

Gern listens to Mobeus, "I could try to get a map for you... But if you just want to talk to them you don't really need a fancy one... Just the main path would do. If you showed by sneaking around it would seem bad!".

Nervous of how Mobeus will respond, Gern chews on her fingernails and looks at the ground. She stays seated, then speaking in no more then a mutter says, "If all you want to do is talk then you should be nice, and only talk, no sneaking. Do you just want to visit your old home?".

Thistle approaches Parson's Breach and notice Mobeus talking with a female goblin. As the Magistrate is just the person she was looking for, she waits off to the side until he finishes his talk with the goblin.

"It was more to protect your people, I am not looking for a fight, but many people are. You can see how that can cause trouble. A good map would help that, but again if you cannot provide one, I understand."

Mobeus stands himself up, "I must be on my way though to make it in time for the Festival of Crows, where the time goes... I'll never know. Please keep an eye out for anything strange Gern, it might just save us all." He nods his head genially and starts to make his way Westward. He acknowledges Thistle and invites her to walk with him. (Moved to another thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back