Gifts and Celebrations

Arkade

Scholar
What are some gifts and types of celebrations that other races enjoy? Is there a High Ogre holiday? Do Stone Elfs celebrate? I'd like to know more of different cultures. Since I do not travle far often I thought through dreams this question was best asked.

I am not sure about other races and cultures, but Mystic Wood Elves have celebrations that one - are not often shared with Non-Mystic Wood Elves and two - Vary from land to land.

Your request may not have many responses only because most racial specific celebrations are often tied into special... secret... meanings.

Ahh, I see. Mayhap a few will share with me that wich is not so secret?

Among the Kyralia (Stone Elves) of Saribdis, near Icenia, the closest to a "celebration" would be our customs surrounding marriage, birth, and death.

Marriage: A suitable mate is chosen based on personal achievements and compatiblity of skills. A gift is then offered which bears some symbolic importance. If the offer is accepted a similar gift will be reciprocated. If two or three years have gone by with no gift given in return then the proposal has not been accepted.

Birth: A child is usually born perhaps five to ten years into a marriage. The child's mental training begins around six months of age and continues for the next twenty years or so. Children of all races are more susceptible to the ravages of emotion than adults and with my race it is even more so. Such early training is a must to quell the pain that comes with intense emotion.

Death: Surviving family members enter a special grove of trees, the Kelay, and spend several days in meditation without food or water. Each person's experience within the Kelay is different, though all feel the presence of overwhelming peace and tranquility.

These certainly do not contain the pomp and circumstance of the ceremonies of other races but they serve their purposes for us.

In Moria we (Ashtani) or Stone Elves of Moria as we are refered to gather periodically but its not a Celebration in the sense that others congregate and listen to music and make meriment........

Symerille please be quiet.. you are boring these people........

I am in control leave me be.....go back Berilious to your corner.....I banish you.......

As I was saying.........It is a time of reflections and joining........The name....

HE HE HE......FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS>>> FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS.....has not happenned.... you are going crazy.. he he he he eh eheh heheh ehehehehheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh...I can see I can see...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

no...........

I have not met you, Sym, but I am concerned for your outburst here. If you are need of any assistance, and will be in Ashbury, I am sure Ren and myself could help you. Given the intensity of your laughter I seems it might take two of us.

Telokh Amdo

Symerille, this dialogue indeed warrants concern. If you are in Ashbury, seek out Telokh and myself at the encampment of Fairedale.

Ren Suzume

Talking to yourself sym? Sounds like you have another person in your head with you. I would suggest some sleep as you seem too stressed but i suppose that would seem somewhat redundant as you are currently doing so now i guess. I must ask if these voices that speak for you....are they present when your dreaming only? Do they come to you at all times? I must inform you that everyone sees that you are talking to another person who is not there. This may come as a shock to you but i suppose someone had to say it. I dont usually hold words back when i say them. Its part of my nature. As for these voices that plague you. I shall do all that is in my power to banish them away from your head if you would only help me to understand them some more. Who is Berilious?

Oh! And to answer that other mans question.......I have no idea what your talking about.

I hope that was enlightening for you.

Good day.

He is one of the "Touched"... it is a term I use for those of us who appear mentally unstable to others when in reality it is more like a contest of spirits, of minds. At least, I assume so and I do apologize if I am incorrect. When I met Symarille, he had been of sound - singular - mind.

If his ailment is like mine, and most are not, you can only hear both of him in the dream realm because the dream realm we speak in is of the mind, the subconsious. In the waking world, it is more like one moment he is Sym and the next moment you could be speaking to this alter ego without a blink of an eye.

Quite dangerous when not properly controlled.

Oh yes, you know all about control. Don't you. <The voice is not the usual monotone of Wildescent, it is in fact more sultry and mocking.>

<Sighs, shakes her head and continues in her normal flat tone.>
Sometimes there is no cure beyond one of two things. Complete control of the Other, or a way to combine the two into one.

I am still researching my version of "Touched", but have been tutored by my liege and some very knowledgeable others in control while waking... for the most part.

I have researched others from the past like this and it seems that while many reasons cause it to originate, extreme duress/stress and heavy emotions can cause the Other to strengthen.

May Symerille find strength and stave off his Other long enough to find solace.

Dame Lady Knight Wildescent Nightwolf ~ Arrandin, White Rose Keep
AKA - Lady Death

We Vansir have alot of things that only we do. But we also with let others join in if they are honorable and want to join us. 2 summers ago alot of people from Ashbery came into the place my people live called the Reclame. There where many games and much drinking. But there was also a man from the Bear Tribe that wanted to take a mate from My tribe. So we let the not vansir people join in the great honor combat that took place to see if the Bear tribe man could win his would be wife from us. People joined what side they wanted to and maked them selfs with the tribes colors. Red for the Bear Tribe and blue for the Wolf Tribe. Soon the battle joined and after a great and honorable fight the Wolf tribe had the last members standing. So we kept our tribeswoman because if Bear Tribe really needed her and if the Man really wanted her, they would have won.

Later that day I was given a name of my own. Wile how i earned it is not for others to know there is much to see in someone nameing day. After the battle that i just told about, my chifetes called me to stand befor. And with most of my tribe standing around me She said that Ive earned the right to have a name. She then asked me what i would from that day be called. I told her Walgar is the name i picked. Then after I said my name my tribe greeted me by yelling. HAIL WALGAR 3 times. And from that day on im was no longer Halldorr. After there was drinking and tests for me to see what ive learned and was i need to learn more.

There are many more storys that i could tell but i do not want to be the only one telling storys here.

Walgar of the wolf tribe.

As i recall your tale of the Varg, Walgar, you are actually quite good at story telling. I learned ALOT at the Reclame and am glad I went.

The word Varg is better said to people outside the Reclame as "sick wolf". The Story is about just the frist one, sadly there have been more since. I like telling storys and hearing them. I learn alot from storys, and people understand more about something when storys about it are frist told to them. But since people liked the telling of the story of the frist Varg ill try to find time to tell another one in fairdale if there is a fire to tell it by and people to hear it told. Maybe the story of how the We learnd to forge steel and cast earth galdar.

Walgar of the Wolf Tribe

If their is food at this spot i will listen to your words Walgar. I remember guarding the would-be bride quite well. it was much more rewarding to visit your homelands then i would have thought. Though i will never admit it.

In any case, I could use a comrade to share stories with again.

Lady Wildescent,

I am graved to hear that you have another living in your mind that touches you. Their is some sort of creature living in myself as well though it says nothing to me, I would be quite annoyed if it ever did begin to speak as i am doing so now. Though by the sounds of it you dont seem to be too bothered by the extra person. I believe it is cause you have already mastered such things within yourself. You must be strong of will indeed. I would be inclined to meet you one day in Arrandin when i return home.

I think I can safely say that for the Mystic Wood Elves of Ashbury, we believe that every day is worthy of celebrating, and we love to give gifts at any time!

But yes, there are certain days that are special...

Sir Eros

I'm particularly fond of Tuesdays. Especially in the late spring, a few hours after noon. Not many better times for some good relaxation, with or without company.

-Padraig

Wraith said:
I'm particularly fond of Tuesdays. Especially in the late spring, a few hours after noon. Not many better times for some good relaxation, with or without company.

-Padraig

I am partial to late afternoons once summer has arrived. A carcass sitting under the sun since before noon tastes the best at this time after the third day under the sun.

As for celebrations, my people celebrate Life every day. We learn the stories of people's lives and recount them when we chance to meet each other. When we are fortunate enough to be there at the moment of a person's final death, or when we perform funeral rites, we ask the family politely for a small object of importance to the deceased or least a small swatch of their clothing. We carry the objects with us or, in the case of the cloth, attach it to our own garb. Whenever telling the tale of that person's life we then use the object/cloth as a reminder to be sure we get the story right. As for the cloth, our elders cloaks are a virtual patchwork of the lives they have learned. We tend to focus on common people since Adventurers always seem to be remembered on their own.

Every life has a story.

Gyps,
Life-keeper

My favorite celebration in the Forest is Jaren's Day. I am hoping to be able to celebrate it, this year, with all my friends, my Brothers, and my Sisters. It is celebrated on the fifteenth day of the sixth month. On that day we celebrate the teachings and the life of the Greatest of us - he who is a living example to us all - Jaren.

Arkade said:
What are some gifts and types of celebrations that other races enjoy? Is there a High Ogre holiday? Do Stone Elfs celebrate? I'd like to know more of different cultures. Since I do not travle far often I thought through dreams this question was best asked.

Though this is not so much my culture as it is my way, I personally celebrate every day I survive. Every day is precious especially since they are fleeting. Time, sickness, monsters, natural and unnatural disasters, Death spells, whatever Ur particular doom eventually life ends (and if U believe as I, a new one begins). Is that not enough to make every day special. Forgive me but I felt compelled to share this.

Back in Leonato, there were many holidays. All celebrated basically the same, though. Independence Day, Harvest, Springtime...lots of dance and drink! :D

The Vansir have a great festival, which is held once per year. It is called the Fyrnin Valja, which means "the Festival of Valja" in the old tongue. It is held at midsummer, and lasts for three days. The Vansir celebrate how Valja, the greatest Cheiftess of our people, lead us from slavery in Jotunheim into freedom. The holiday is so important to our people that even two Vansir who have sworn a blood oath to slay one another will drink and break bread together during this time.

Ulthoc

Back