Gifts and Celebrations

Yah, yah, I agwee. Izza eazee fur us. Da female take da male somewheah pwivate, anna den da west is natuwal. Back wharra I come fwom, when female izza havin' one-a doez dayz, she may take-a somefin' wike 5 diff'n' guys inna one day many times. Sound wike hard work, wheely. 'Course, I told izza to make sure dat da pwocess worked. I t'ink dey just gweedy, but wharra-evah. Dodeeja girls get wharra dey want.

Warpfang

And who says dhat we do nye? We jus' 'ave a standard dhat our men mus' live up to and complete in order to be graced wit' dhe privelege of fat'ering Romani children. Love eez always a factor. We are talkingk about dhe love of only one mate for dhe res' of ones life. Of course eez more complex dhan bonking dhem upside dhe head and dragging dhem back to dhe hut.

Meh, dhere are dhose cultures dhat do. I remember dhose of a Orangutan scavenger named Smudge. He say a sharp bonk to dhe back of dhe head shows dhat you mean business. And eef dhey can put dhe hurtings back to you, eet shows dhat you were meant for each ot'er. Eef nye, dhen it were nye meant to be.

Wharra good izzit iffa dey both beat up? See, dat why I norra wezist. Izza wess painful dat way. Tho', wove furevah izza fobidden until you izza old enough in my cultuh. Da elduhs say dat to twuwee unduhstand yerself, yah gorra be at weast two hands of hands in season old. Tho' dat fu'st two hands of hands in seasons canna feew wike furevah on itz own. Luckawee, we usuawee have at weast foe mo'e hands of hands in seasons weft to wive. 'Course, I knows of one elduh who wive furra about two hands of hands of hands in seasons! Dats a wong time, an' she was tellin' some gweat stowies. I gorra miss mah elduhs, yah yah.

Warpfang

Meester? Do you read and write? May'ap you could put dhe letters in dhe dreamrealm? I can understand you a little bit, but...I am 'aving trouble.

Yah, I does. Tho' I has twouble gettin' used to th' common twade demoninations. I knows up t' ten in da commons, but da counting system if diff'nt. So, lemme put it da way dat I wemembuh I was told fur exampuls.
A hand izza five. Two hands izza ten. A hand of hands izza five fives. Den a hand of hands of hands izza doze five fives... five times.
Izza jus' da countin' system I gwew up wit', yah? I sure I gorra get used to th' common one soonuh or waiter.

Warpfang

ClawsofSlash said:
Wharra good izzit iffa dey both beat up? See, dat why I norra wezist. Izza wess painful dat way. Tho', wove furevah izza fobidden until you izza old enough in my cultuh. Da elduhs say dat to twuwee unduhstand yerself, yah gorra be at weast two hands of hands in season old.

Warpfang

So two 'ands of 'ands eez fifty? You mus' be fifty to understand yoursel'?

Yah, dat. Fidtee season old. Yah.
I dunno how dat twanswate int' da common terms, so I dunna iffa dat seem wheely old or what. I just know dat it seem wike a wong time. I still gorra while t'go.

Warpfang

Kyah, a hand of hands of hands of hands izza warge numbuh! Usuawee I onwee usin' dat many fur countin' fings wike da cwops we obtain durin' o' Jaodeejien, which I fink izza called Autumn he-ah. Well, I guezz I could use numbuhs dat high iffa I were to twy an' count how manna people I seez. 'Cauz I seez so manna people.

Speekin' o' Jaodeejien, I suppose izza good time t'talk about da celebwations we has dere. We gorra one celebwation each season on da day two hands of hands into da season, which izza unique to each one. Den we has one day between Jaodeejien an' Uttao'dozun which izza day dat don't bewong to either. See, my twibe wikes da cold more den da heat, so we hazza good cewebwation fur Uttao'dozun, welcoming da coming cold bwiss. Da twee-cwimbin' twibe wike da heat more den da cold, so dey hold an' event where dey pwepare demselves mentawee an' othuhwise fur da coming chill. I norra sure wharra da cave dwellin' twibe does, dey kinda cwazy.

Den between Zojudan an' Ozzo'dozuta we has a day dat norra bewong to eithuh where we pwepare ourselves fur da oncoming wave of heat. My twibe norra wike da heat, wheely... but da twee cwimbuhs wike it, so izza okey. We got our seasons, an' dey got deres. My oldest elduhs told me dat each season had a meaning, an I beweave dem, 'cauze dey my elduhs an' all.

We izza alwayz taught t'beweave our elduhs. Dey da most smartest people of da twibe, an' iffa we respect anna wisten to dem, we can know more den dem at dere age. So dat we can den pass all our know-wedge to da younguh ones, anna each new gwoup o' younguh ones knows more an' more.

Warpfang

Eet is nye different wit' our elders. Mi yia yia and papou, dhey tell me and mi fratello tings about life dhat dhey learn from dheir yia yia and papou.

Dhis eez dhe Year of Good Hope. Dhe firs' day of summer marked it, but I have nye had time to celebrate. Normally, when dhe Year of Good Hope comes around, we celebrate by doing kind tings to people who need it. Having auctions dhat benefit dhe needy and such. Eez why eez my favorite year when eet comes around. Ot'er years include The Siren, The Bard, The Leviat'an, and Independance.

my name is Arrianna Danielle Jezubelle and i am a biata who is quite lost as how to be. but i do know our traditions are very much so kept secret. but i can say that our years are long and so we have no desire to count our age. we see a another year as another possible opportunity to serve the world to see the very good that can be found in this cruel and dieing world. and so many times when you speak with a biata they may not remember their own age... but that information is not lost forever!

when thy good unto the world... it will be good unto the.

It be easy tah give gift an' dhings but it bout whatya give.

I be given a shell, an it broke. So I mak' dha bits inta earin', necklace, an' all sorta dhings. Heffestoos a know dhat him gift am be given tah many oda's afta it seem like it be broke. It like life an' jus' break inta mo' smalla gift.

Dha gifta an aminal claw, o' bit be real real 'portant. It show many dhings, at it all be bout how it be given. If ya take dha time tah go an get dhat grass real dry, rope it an' work it whit clay bead...all fo dha necklace parta dha gift of a tooth it be a great gift. Many day of work fo dhat gift, given in great honor.

Dhis how I dhink of gift...a gift not buyin' a dhing an 'anding it tah a friend, dhat just 'elpin dhem out o' saying dhanku...a gift be made...a gift be t'ought bout. Dhat how it always been fo' dha tribe.

-Hengin

While I can't think of any hobling-specific holidays or celebrations in the Deadlands, we still celebrate a lot of things with good food, good drinks and of course good entertainment. Personally, birthday parties are my favorite kind of celebration. After all, they only happen for a person once a year! Just what kind of food, drink and entertainment is at the party is really up to personal preference. Some folks prefer them to be kind of insular family affairs, while other hoblings like to invite as many friends and family to the party as they can. Marriage and other such relationships are something I'm not really familiar with, since I'm still way too young to settle down, but from what I can tell they're only as complicated as folks choose to make them.

Gifts are a special thing, though. After all, if you're going to give someone something, it's because they've done something to earn it, like sticking with you for another year even though you talk way too much and (sometimes) do stupid things. Or if they've turned another year older, because there's undead everywhere and living a normal life in spite of it is admirable. Whether or not it's bought or made is up to the giver, but handmade things are really nice to get. Either way, they should be thought out like Hengin said.

I hope all this was helpful!
Caillen Taggert of Chiram's Hollow

Long ago, by my peoples' reckoning, the Empire of the Endless Night had gone to war with Chrystowind Spire, both large population centers of Dark Elves. The war was long and brutal, and the Endless night had, by feats of arms, nearly beaten the Chrystowind. Forced during battle to disengage and seperate from the majority of their battle-host, the Royal House Higurashi were forced to the edge of a sea-cliff. Rather than be captured, the Heir of commited ritual suicide by eviscerating herself with her bodice-dagger. Before she lost the power of speech, she turned to salute her adversaries, and threw herself into wrathful seas below.

Seeing this, the commander of the Endless Night forces was moved so profoundly, she immediately withdrew under a banner of peace.

The war was over.

During the turning of the ninth moon through the thirteenth, the Crystowind and the Endless Night hold feasting and tournaments a' plaisance in her honor.

As an aside: I have spent a great deal of time in the Librarium of Silverford, in the lands of Andar were I make my home. While there I happened upon an explanation offered as to why the Romani are referred to as "Gypsies". In one account from a particularly ancient scroll, a jongleur makes reference to a place called "Adgyptia", the realm they first called home before scattering wherever the mists would draw them.

Gorka's tribe celebrate First kill. It's a really big deal and helps decide what you'll learn about and train to be.

Proper High Orc makes first kill in first 9 months, any latter and you considered slow.

Gorka Did good 6th month I killed Morka, my sister.

After First kill Soothsayer read the signs and decide what you'll be. If good powerful, big celebration so everyone knows how fierce the child will be. Given lots of presents to help with future.
If reading is not so good usually a small gathering of close family.
At the end of party Child is given to someone as an apprentice.
They can't come back to family till they can fulfill their future. When you get back you get recognized and another big feast.

-Gorka

Hengin that sounds like good gift. I wanna watch you make. Have we met before? I think I know the name Hengin.

Back