Glow Stick Lanterns

ALYCE!
Are you coming to Hope's Reach again anytime soon?

I'd like to eventually but right now I've got other commitments. I'm not retiring permanently or anything, just taking a break.

Yeah, but reading that over, if you do exactly how she did it, the lanterns would only last about 20-30ish minutes, and Dave's night mods last like 2-3 hours.

This seems like the basis for the best alchemy mod ever...

I've broken open glow sticks for activities in the past and it all depends on the size of glow stick you crack open and the amount of liquid inside. As everyone knows, the glowing comes from the chemical reaction, which is why you crack it to make it glow originally- you're cracking a tube of another chemical inside the larger tube. The more chemicals, the longer the reaction time. My guess is the jars used in the example faded quickly due to a thin layer of the chemical drying quickly against the glass, thus ending the reaction. That's why glow sticks maximize reaction time by limiting the amount of air inside them.

I never knew how glow sticks worked. Granted I just never cared for them in the first place, and never did any research on how they worked so eh...

Anyways, possibly to prolong them while they're in the jar by possibly heating up the jar before hand, which would melt the chemicals down a little bit more, making them dry slower, or possibly add salt water to it and see if that works. At this point I'm just making it up as I come up with ideas.

Or I bet you could just pour more glow stick material into the jar... ;)

More chemicals would probably cause the 'lanterns' to last longer. It would just be a matter of figuring out how much you needed to make them last long enough for a night mod or whatever. But very cool! :)

Being a Chem minor I figured I would sound off here. If you increase the temperature of the reaction, you will speed up the reaction. If you find a way to super-cool the reaction it will last longer. You could put some dry ice in the jar and then see what happens, altho there may be a reaction between the chemicals and dry ice themselves. :D

How about the chem major figures it out ;)

Just pokin'

so... if you put dry ice in the jar BE SURE you have some sort of air hole. Otherwise at some later point you are going to get a big bang and stuff will explode... It's called a dry ice bomb. ;)

Otherwise that sounds like quite a fine idea for slowing down and prolonging the reaction. :)

Thorador said:
How about the chem major figures it out ;)

Just pokin'

Well let's see it Mr. Bigshot :)

Would there be a chemical reaction between the chemicals within glowsticks and CO2? Or is the only worry to deal with the expanding gas resulting from sublimation?
:D

I was just commenting on worries regarding the expanding gas from the dry ice as a result of sublimation. However I don't know whether or not there would be a reaction between the glow stick chemicals and the CO2. That would be something that would need testing.

I would assume that there would not be as CO2 is fairly stable, but seeing as its been 10 years since my last chem class, I would throw it back to the chem major over there :D

I wasn't imply I have a chem major i was saying you, Ryan, as the chem major, should figure it out, sorry for any confusion, lol

Nathan, Ryan said he was a Chem MINOR, not a Chem major :p

this may be where my confusion occurred

LOL...

I just got rid of the idea of glow sticks once I saw the time limit. I have used glow sticks before and then can last a few hours it all just depends on the size and such. Though for the sake of re-use I am going to attempt it with a portable light (kind used for gardening) and see what I can rig up.

Back