Glow Stick Lanterns

Also, pst, Gwen. In your sig, I believe they're spelled Kobolds. I believe how you've spelled it means like a gem of sorts, except spelled with a k instead of a c. Sorry for pointing it out, but spelling errors have been jumping out at me all the time lately ><

Icey said:
Also, pst, Gwen. In your sig, I believe they're spelled Kobolds. I believe how you've spelled it means like a gem of sorts, except spelled with a k instead of a c. Sorry for pointing it out, but spelling errors have been jumping out at me all the time lately ><

Maybe she's discovered the secret to making a boggle is a nice rock and a chair...

EricMarsters said:
Icey said:

Maybe she's discovered the secret to making a boggle is a nice rock and a chair...

Oh no! You figured out the secret! *runs away*

What if you froze the reagents and simply put the large ice cube into the jar when you want to use it, it would melt slowly since its one large piece of ice. I don't know what temperature it freezes at, just my two cents.

Valid idea, go ahead give it a try and let us know how it works out. However, bear in mind that the entire time that you are freezing the liquid to a solid you are "wasting" time as the reaction will continue to occur in your freezer as it freezes.

Two seperate ice cubes, then? As they melt, the chemicals will combine and continually react throughout the process?

I'm interested, as well, in the actual freezing points of these materials, though.

-Luke

edit: Found information regarding the chemicals used...it appears that a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is part of what makes a glowstick...while pure H2O2 freezes at just 31F, a 50% mixture freezes at -62F. Even a 35% mixture freezes at -27F...so freezing is probably not likely to work on that part. Still working on finding freezing points for the other chemical solution.

OK, let me settle this once and for all:

Anatomy of a glowstick:
There are two parts to a glowstick, 1) a plastic shell, and 2) a glass ampule (vial)

A glow stick contains two sets of chemicals 1) in the plastic shell there is hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and 2) in the ampule is a phosphorluminescent dye or diphenyl oxalate with different configurations (esters) resulting in different colors.

When the glass is broken, the two sets of chemicals react with each other (duh). Without getting into the various stages of the reaction between H2O2 and the phenyl oxalate, the result is the generation of a photon of energy. The wavelength of the photon is determined basis the dye and/or color of the plastic shell.

Heating up a glowstick will make the reaction go quicker, thus resulting in a brighter glow, but reducing the length of the reaction. This is because there are more photons being generated more quickly.

Cooling a glowstick will make the reaction go slower, thus a duller glow, but longer reaction as there are less photons being generated. It is possible to stop the glowstick reaction entirely; there are some science experiements for kids that show if you use dry ice or put a glowstick in the freezer it is possible to make this happen.

Bottom line:
If you are looking to pour the stuff into another container, becareful as the peroxide will stain/bleach your clothes. If you heat up the glowsticks there will be more light for a shorter period of time, if you cool them there will be less light but for a longer period of time.

Also, it should go without saying, do not put a glowstick in the microwave, the plastic will melt and you will have a large mess to clean up.

Enjoy!

-Ryan

Nurdrage's video (the one referenced in the above video) on making glow liquid is pretty informative. If anyone happens to donate the needed materials, I WILL write something up for it... :D

Back