Going OOG

Dramm a'dan

Scholar
Going OOG.
Reasons for going out of game:
• Seriously ill
• Serious injury
That’s pretty much it.

Now if you are mildly ill or have a minor injury, why go OOG? Why not RP this, hell even exaggerate it? If you are just too hot or tired to put on your armor, just walk around in a tabard or shirt (you need to be wearing the armor to use your armor points), but nothing says you have to wear it the whole time, if a fight breaks out, hang back a bit, or run away.
If you’re not a physically active person, give your character a non-combatant type role or position. Set up a first aid station beside the tavern or your cabin, folks come to you if they need some healing. Become an in-game merchant, buy and sell found items or information. Focus on production of goods and sell those.

There are many reasons to stay in game and stay in character, but very few to go OOG. I don’t want to see someone sitting in the back corner of the tavern by themselves because they are OOG. Now if they were a shady type character that wanted privacy, two thumbs up. Sitting around the fire regaling past adventures and stories in character adds more to the game and everyone involved.
I will be the first to admit, I’m bad for making OOG comments. Over the last year I have gotten a lot better at staying IC. It does take a little bit of effort in the beginning and well come easier for folks as they play more, and get more excited about their characters. These are some things to consider.

Abbey beat me to it but he is dead on. My thoughts:

It's pretty simple. You should not be OOG unless there is a physical reason (injured/ill etc). Even then you can "Page". If you are heading for a shower/bathroom, you are OOG. But all the eating, smoking, etc is all IG. Period. Get up, get in your gear and head over for food. Pretty simple. If you decide that you don't want to wear your armour and gear, so be it. But all your gear you leave in your cabin is IG (even if you are sitting there OOG).

People are asking for an OOG area. So I ask, "why are you OOG in the first place?" The goal of the LARP is to be IG and immersed in the experience. Pulling yourself OOG should only happen if you really need to (again medical/injury).

Remember that we are on a time restriction (esp Sunday morning) and having everyone saunter into the tavern OOG, eat and then head back and gear up cuts into our time. Our NPCs were up, went and ate and then rushed back to get into costume and make-up for the big battle.

Please don't use the "but the NPCs have an OOG area" arguement. Of course we are OOG when not busting our butts to get rushed out the door to entertain everyone. We have to be OOG but you will never see us OOG and mingling with the IG players (we chased away a couple NPCs at times that were doing it).

Get out of my head. You two said everything I wanted too say. I am a terrible actor and I feel my efforts to remain in character were herculean on my part, I'm sure it will get easier. There were times when I felt I was on a real roll and all of a sudden OOG stuff would pop up and send me right off the tracks. There were also times when I was the instigator and for this I apologize. Hopefully over time all of this will smooth out. Good luck to all of us and Break a leg.

A caveat on that, I have often taken those 2-3 second bursts of OOG to determine what a spell would do to my character, or tell what my character's spell would do to other people... but these should be short and concise bits of information that puts your right back into IG the moment the point is clarified. Don't be afraid to ask what to do, but don't take any longer then needed to ensure you can do what is required.

I mean a lot of people are still new to this, and getting into good habits now, ensures smooth IG actions all the time. I know it can be hard to understand what all spell types do, heck I find myself asking regularly.. but as time goes on, I am sure even this will fade somewhat.

To make this easier, any Casters, (and myself is included in this) even if you feel rushed, be sure to be very clear and loud with the spells you are using, so they will likely not need to go OOG to find out what you did to them...

Maybe a caster training day?

I will be there at Combat Training day, so i can assist in the practice of Celestial at least.

I played a spellcaster for a year- it's hard. It feels like there are a zillion rules and it's overwhelming to learn there's more than one type of magical effect. Getting better and not mis-canting your calls, well, It comes with time, and reading the rulebook over and over. If you are a senior player, say like- 8 months from now and still mis-canting the same sphere you've been playing since you started, then no forgiveness for joo! None!

As for going out-of-game: this argument is everywhere. I think that if it becomes a real problem, there should be IG consequences. Take a leaf from another larp:

A player left his blackberry on, and had forgotten to turn off his alarm. It went off, and plot was nearby. Quickly they found out who the player was and which group he belonged to, then they went to costume up as a monster. This monster IG became The Great Demon Black-Bear Ai, and it killed the player and his group.

I would say that if people continue to be out-of-game where it is unnecessary, that they find themselves suffering horrible In game consequences, like having a ghost come and steal their item tags, or sending a demon after them.If more than one player is doing it, send an influx of diseased werewolves that explode for massive damage in a radius.

What_bomb__by_de_Mote.gif

i have ideas.

Sammich said:
A player left his blackberry on, and had forgotten to turn off his alarm. It went off, and plot was nearby. Quickly they found out who the player was and which group he belonged to, then they went to costume up as a monster. This monster IG became The Great Demon Black-Bear Ai, and it killed the player and his group.

I would say that if people continue to be out-of-game where it is unnecessary, that they find themselves suffering horrible In game consequences, like having a ghost come and steal their item tags, or sending a demon after them.If more than one player is doing it, send an influx of diseased werewolves that explode for massive damage in a radius.

What_bomb__by_de_Mote.gif

i have ideas.

I feel that I have to chime in and say that this is bad form, border line Metagaming (bringing OOG "stuff" IG). If there is a problem with a player, they need to be pulled aside and spoken to. They need to be informed on how disruptive they are to the game and there fellow players. If these problems persist (after warnings) then other actions need to take place like giving them a suspension of a few hrs up to banning. Again, an OOG problem that should be dealt with OOG. Inform them on what they have done wrong (some might not even know how disruptive they are being, trust me I was one of them).

Here here. My god this is a brand new chapter with a lot of new players who are brand new to larp. Couple this with our very first weekend event.... I think a bit more patience from you veterens should happen. Next event will go much better oog/ig. If its a problem after next weekend then pull em aside and read em the riot act. I know Diane and I learned alot and will adjust our play accordingly. Its a game so let's have fun.

I'm agreeing with Klangor and Gilwing on this one. While the idea of demonic repercussions is a good suppressor-that is what it will feel like to players both innocent and guilty of the OOG works. The example made will have if say the group is of six six players who could have been very much in game and immersed when sudden big baddy from nowhere slaughters them all. Not only do they recieve a counted death, they were punished by affiliation. This would be a discouragement to especially new players who wish to get used to being IC.

I'll be tagging one or two folks if it gets out of hand, but yes patience is key and don't have retirbution be the point of every time OOG occurs. It happens and likely will happen for the rest of the chronicle as we get new players and opld players alike.

While I like the idea of the cellphone incident and it sounds like fun, it could lead to issues. I think the major problem is that trying to kibosh OOG talk is nigh impossible. I've never in 20+ years of gaming been at a table that doesn't devolve or have OOG talk going on. And I think if you atart to enforce too many rules people are just gonna stop coming. A lot of people game for the social interaction and trying to forcibly remove that cn create problems in group as I have seen before.

Now realize I'm not saying not to try and force the players to stay IG at all, I'm just saying realize the side comments and little bits of chit chat are going to happen. Especially when you have a group of people that sees each other once a month. I definitely agree that more IG needs to happen, and little to no mingling of OOG PC's with IG ones.

OOG will happen. It always does. What we will be curbing is the going OOG just cause "you want to". So no white headbands unless you are sick/injured to the point you cannot PAGE or are heading for a shower. OOG chat will happen (it always does). But we don't want people sitting in the tavern chatting about their work week, last night's episode of (insert show name) etc. We all know what is OOG and how to stop it. It's now up to the players to do so.

PLOT will do what we can, but no, there will not be "Ghost ******" of OOG players. That is never our intention so let's please drop that idea completely off the map.

Yeah that sounds like a bit much.

The oog vs ig is agreed, everywhere, like i already said. I merely provided solutions that have worked to nip players who are too lazy to roleplay (and no, i am NOT saying that there are any in alliance calgary) or take abuse going oog/cheat by going oog. For example, hiding gold in your personal items so no one will steal it, wearing your armor phys rep but keeping the tags in the bathroom, or going OOG when you are about to get ganked by a rogue.

I have no doubt that Plot will act accordingly IF these things ever become issues, and deal with them on their own. Getting riled up because of a few suggestions i offered is ridiculous, i'm a new player too. heesh.

Ya and no ig ****** of middleaged dwarfs by cuddly barbarians! Put this thread to bed.

Back