Golem ability inquiry

Joetor

I've recently come into the possession of a construct scroll or two and would like information so that I can better decide what to create. Does anyone know what the capabilities of the various golems are and which are considered to best compliment a celestial mage's abilities? I am planning to cast one with a catalyst and one without so descriptions of both minor and major golems would help.

-Arkelos

Construct or Master Construct?

Besides the normal immunities and vulnerabilities native to constructs these are my notes:

Quicksilver Soldier, also known as a Mercury Golem, has a good amount of strength, is healed by Lightning, immune to Binding, Stone, Ice, Flame, and can Phase five times a day. They are generally resilient enough to withstand approximately five Dragon's Breath worth of damage (if it was affected by Flame).

A Silver Golem is healed to full by Prison, immune to Curse, and significant strength enough to rip from all binding. I believe it is resilient to damage similar to the Quicksilver Soldier.

A Bone Golem is only affected by Magic weapons and has significant damage, but is only healed by the ritual effect Heal Golem.

The Guardian of Forever is the strongest Gargoyle, capable of Resist Flame and Magic a little, swings Death with it's claws. I believe they take double damage from Lightning. Gargoyles are also only healed by ritual.

Lesser Gargoyles (such as the Guardian of the Gates) have lesser effects, such as Silencing foes with their claws, but their abilities and resilience steadily get weaker in comparison to the Guardian of Forever.

Diamond and Obsidian golems are sturdy and contain Innate Reflect Magic abilities. Both generally have enough strength to rip from most Binding. They are also only healed by ritual.

Scarecrow golems have innate Fear effects, but are relatively weak and frail to Flame.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alavatar

I remember running into constructs in Portos or wherever, that reanimated themselves after being beaten down.

Is that normal?

Zeth, that is not normal. The constructs created by the normal Construct ritual do not have that capability. Constructs with the ability to Revive or reanimate are rare and abnormal; generally created through long forgotten magics or by creatures of supreme power.

Regards,
Alavatar

You have my thanks Alavatar. Do you happen to know the abilities of stone golems or what lesser golems can be repaired without the use of formal magic?

Besides the Quicksilver Soldier and the Silver Golem, I know the Iron Golem is healed by some element ... I want to say Lightning. I know it isn't Flame or Stone. I do not have any knowledge about the Stone Golem's abilities. The Iron Man is a lesser version of the Iron Golem, in case you were wondering. I do not recall any other golems that are healed outside of ritual magic; Daylynn or Polare may have additional information that I cannot seem to remember.

I know some golems take half damage from weapon attacks as well, but I cannot remember which ones. I believe the Bone Golem is one, and I believe the Iron Golem is another, and the Guardian of Forever may be a third. I know Mercury, Silver, Diamond, Obsidian golems all take expected damage. I cannot say for certain about the rest.

Regards,
Alavatar

Thank you for assisting me with your knowledge, Alavatar. I would like you to know that I am inspired by the skill you have attained in the celestial arts and seek to match the example that you have set.

Arkelos,

If you are inclined to a degree of experimentation with these constructs notify me via the dreaming as quickly as you are able and I will endeavor to provide the necessary materials for such a thing.

-Roann Flynt.

Roann,

I am usually up for many degrees of experimentation, but I am aware that diverting too far from rote magic can lead to catastrophic results. May my eagerness to engage in dangerous scholarly endeavors never be mistaken for hubris. I will hear you out though. I am curious.

Couldn't you just identify them, instead of potentially terrible experiments?

I'm unsure of what you mean in context to this conversation. I was looking to find out more about the standard constructs that could be made with the construct scroll. Roann suggested magical experimentation.

Oh, and I thought he was referring to experimentation after the fact, to discover the limits of whatever you make.

If I remember correctly, you could use a Master Construct scroll to accomplish that, if you didn't want to store yourself into it.

If you did NOT want to store yourself in it? Does that mean it would only be able to be done on someone else?

If you did NOT want to store yourself in it? Does that mean it would only be able to be done on someone else?

I spent quite a bit of time in the Andarian University several years ago (when I was learning to read, among other things...). If I remember correctly, constructs without a spirit stored in them can follow very simple commands that are given to them (I think by the caster and any assistants?), similar to Dominate Gas commands.

There is also a Spirit Store ritual that one can cast, but that can only be used in conjunction with a Master Construct. It also lasts for a year! Who would want to be cooped up in a Master Construct for a year, I'll never know. Twenty-four hours was bad enough!]

I could be incorrect though. I cut things for a living, my memory can only be trusted so far...

Last edited:
It seems there is some confusion on the topic of golems and constructs. Hopefully I can help.

There are two types of construct rituals: Construct and Master Construct.

The Construct ritual allows you to create one construct of a specific set to choose from; the stronger constructs require more reagents, are more difficult to create, and some require a catalyst. This is the ritual which Arkelos has been inquiring. Constructs created by this ritual, since there is only a limited selection to choose from, have static abilities based on the chosen construct. Additionally, constructs created by this ritual may not be the subject of a Spirit Store effect.

The Master Construct ritual allows you to create one construct of varied power where the ritual caster may allocate that power on various abilities. The more powerful the construct, the more reagents are required, the more challenging the casting, and may require a catalyst. These constructs can have a combination of wild and crazy abilities such as Half Damage from Weapons, Innate Reflect, and Healed by Flame, for example. All Master Constructs my be the target of a Spirit Store effect. Some also allow for a Body Store (to be described later), but that requires a lot of power to be spent on that ability.

All constructs created by ritual understand and follow simple commands of their creator, who was the Primary Caster of the ritual. Commands such as "pick up the sword", "follow me", "bash down this door", "defend me", and "attack that hobling in underwear" would be valid commands, where-as "kill anyone passing through this doorway wearing a blue shirt with gold trim", "attack the handsome hobling", or "follow the commands of the elf Eldor" will not result in quality results. Generally, if you can say it in 10 words or less without adjectives or proper nouns, and does not require decision making (which includes Boolean logic) a construct will likely be able to follow.

A Spirit Store may be manifested either by Celestial High Magic (only on a Master Construct they have created or helped create) for a day at a time, or by casting the Spirit Store ritual (as Avaran discussed) which can last for up to a year. Additionally, you do not need to be one of the creators of the Master Construct to use the ritual version of this effect to be stored into a golem. Anyone can end their Spirit Store by spending 5 minutes in a Celestial Circle and willing their spirit to return to their body (which must also be in the circle), whether the Spirit Store is the result of High Magic or a ritual.

Some Master Constructs may actually store the entire body of the person inside it. This is referred to as Body Store. Instead of storing just the spirit into the Master Construct and leaving their body some place safe the person magically merges their body into the golem. Normally, a person whose spirit is stored in a Master Construct when it is destroyed loses some of their spirit strength and must resurrect, due to the spirit not being attached to any corporeal form. Body Store keeps the body with the Master Construct so that when it is destroyed the spirit is still attached to the body, which falls out of the destroyed Master Construct. The body still takes significant punishment from the destruction of the Master Construct and is now in need of a Life spell, but many believe that is significantly less harmful than immediately needing to resurrect.

I hope this quick explanation on golems helps clear some questions.

Regards,
Alavatar

Back