Golem Enchanting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
Could you ritually enchant a golem body? I.E. Could I put Ability Store (Dodge), and 2 Expanded Enchantments? If yes, would they be available for me to use while in the construct?

A Golem is a 19 rit item I believe.

Thus yes, you could 'add' one enchantment, often times that one enchantment people add is a Preserve Duration so that the golem lasts for more than just one year.

You can't make it more than a 20 rit item so you can only add 1 more enchantment.

- HQ Head of Rules

Upvote 0
Hrm. I agreed with David until I peeked at the Master Construct scroll. The old construct scroll had something to the effect of "19 rit item, can only get an extender on it." The new scroll states (emphasis mine):

Master Construct Scroll said:
This ritual may be extended by normal means, but extending a Master Construct ritual is extremely difficult. For the purposes of reagent cost and the number of rituals on the item being extended a Master Construct's difficulty is determined from the chart below. Regardless of the Difficulty to Extend the Master Construct Ritual NO additional ritual placed on a Master Construct may have its duration extended. All Master Constructs, once completed, are considered 20 Ritual Effect Items. This is a Celestial Aspect ritual. This Ritual may be extended. The base duration of this Ritual is 1 year.

The following are the guildlines for calculating the cost of EXTENDERS and each Construct is still considered a 20 Ritual Item when created:
15 point Golems are counted as 5-8 Rituals for purpose of calculating Preserve or Permanence difficulty
30 point Golems are counted as 9-12 Rituals for purpose of calculating Preserve or Permanence difficulty
45 point Golems are counted as 13-16 Rituals for purpose of calculating Preserve or Permanence difficulty
55-60 point Golems are counted as 17-20 Rituals for purpose of calculating Preserve or Permanence difficulty

So, I guess you can put additional rituals on it and use them while in the golem? (I'd really like it if another marshal/HoR/official type person can read that and see if they draw the same conclusion!) If you put a Preserve on it, none of the additional rituals will get the benefit of it. IE, once you use the skill store Dodge, and the Expanded Enchants expire, it's not possible to put more on.

Upvote 0
I believe the intention is that a Master Construct may be extended via Preserve Duration or Permanent Duration, but no other rituals may be cast on it. The language is a little disordered, but in bullet points:

1. A Master Construct is a valid target for an extender ritual, i.e. Preserve or Permanent Duration.

2. The difficulty of an extender ritual is calculated based on the strength of the Master Construct (see the quoted chart).

3. Despite the chart saying "15 point Golems are counted as 5-8 Rituals for purpose of calculating Preserve or Permanence difficulty", it should perhaps say "15 point Golems are counted as 5-8 Rituals only for the purpose of calculating Preserve or Permanence difficulty.

4. After establishing that for the purpose of calculating extender difficulty, and only for that purpose, refer to "All Master Constructs, once completed, are considered 20 Ritual Effect Items."

Essentially a golem is a 20 rit item and therefore not a valid target for any other rituals. An exception is made for extenders, and only for extenders. Since extenders calculate difficulty off of the number of rits on the extended item, the chart exists so that it is easier to extend a 15 point Master Construct than a 60 point one.

Upvote 0
Dan,

I'd generally agree with you, but the following sentence is either worded extremely poorly, or contradicts our shared opinion that golems are 19 rit items that may only have an extender cast on them (to make 20):

Regardless of the Difficulty to Extend the Master Construct Ritual NO additional ritual placed on a Master Construct may have its duration extended.

This sentence either needs to be changed, or the intent clarified that only an extender may be cast on a master construct, and that sentence removed entirely. The underlined part suggests that other rituals apart from extenders, may be cast on a golem (though only 1 since it's 19 rits without an extender, based on implication of an extender capping it at 20.

But what happens if you choose NOT to extend a golem? Does that not leave 1 rit space for another rit? The problem is that it does not explicitly say, "Only extenders may be cast on a Master Construct"; the fact that it changed was a shift in intent, or a pretty major "oops".

Upvote 0
I'm guessing pretty major oops. It's one of a seeming growing list of questions about changes to the ritual database's language.

If we take the language on the scroll as the only existing possibility, which ARC has said it is, then yes, you can add rituals to your Master Construct, they just don't take the benefit of the extender.

I think it needs fixing back to language that specifies that it can be extended, but that is the only possible ritual to put on a golem.

Upvote 0
The scroll is very clear that the construct is 20 rituals. I feel the only interpretation that fits is that only an extender may be cast, and that that extender cannot be a benefit to any other rituals. The problem comes from the wording, which I suspect is the result of putting too much emphasis on the point that you cannot have additional rituals on a construct no matter what, with the sole exception being an extender that increases in difficulty with the power of said construct.

Figured I would throw this out there as well: the quote Avaran brought up makes perfect sense if it is changed to "Regardless of the Difficulty to Extend the Master Construct Ritual NO additional ritual may be placed on a Master Construct to have its duration extended." I suspect this was the intent.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back