Greed is a Rushing River

Well, this has certainly gotten out of hand really quickly ...

I believe there was a misunderstanding in my statement to you. When I said "Cure Greed" I was inferring to your comment about the waters running dry, and blood growing stale. You did state left unchecked there would be an issue with this, and since you stated "Greed is the water we all drink from" I inferred that if the source is poisoned we need to cure it to resolve the issue.

I do not entirely disagree with your ideological list of the flow of goods - it holds promise - but sadly there is a direct flaw in the process and that is with the second statement - "if items are worth more money the more items will be sold". This is absolutely contradictory to basic economic theory. As a merchant, the term supply and demand have lead me to accumulate significant wealth in my time as an adventurer. As supply increases and more of an item is available, the value of said item goes down as competition improves. In the case of "Formal Scrolls" - we have no way of knowing if and when one will appear. Some scrolls may evade procurement by us adventurers for a year or more. If they hold little util to the community, but one individual has great desire for it (say a race change scroll) the value could vary immensely from one gather to another. It all depends on the demand of those present at the time, and there is no "production cost" for which to establish a baseline cost.
Another note - you speak of coin transferring hands but fail to take one incredibly important aspect into mind - our coin is incredibly finite. When producing goods in our lands, there is a certain amount of coin that is actually destroyed in the production process. The more individuals batch production, the greater that amount of coin that is lost to us forever becomes. As a result, the more of these items we create, the less coin that exists in our system. Being a closes system as such creates a natural stagnation in a community based on its size. The more individuals in our community, the more such items can be batched and the value of said items levels out. The fewer in a community and the less coin traded, the harder it becomes to batch and so the fewer items available. This increased demand helps keep the prices stable no matter what point we are at.

Ultimately the failure in this concept is assuming we need coin to get by and be happy as adventurers. In our society, it is not truly the coin that brings contentment (though there are distinct individuals who believe so) but it is what the coin can bring - power. This distribution of power is truly an issue for two types of individuals; the younger and solo adventurers. Adventurers who have just started their careers (Younger in experience, not necessarily age) have not had time to appropriate funds to increase their personal standing and power, and even experienced individuals who move as a pack of one can find difficulty in the acquisition of coin and power. Many have joined forces into various houses or organizations to pool their resources and grow that way. Yet even amongst groups, there is a disproportionate level of power.

I understand your desire to assist the community, and help increase the wealth or power of all, but there are many variables in our community that make direct assumptions of improved quality moot. Like any society we have wealthy and we have poor. To attempt to increase costs of auctioned items does not improve the quality of life for most adventurers - to the contrary - it creates more dissonance amongst friends. The increased cost means the items go to those with the means to purchase them. The increased power causes an increase in ability to acquire more resources and the gap between the haves and have-not grows larger.

I, sir, would love an opportunity at any of our gathers to discuss the philosophy of helping our community by any means. I do not take offense to any comment and enjoy good debate on any subject (much to the chagrin of the community). If you will be at this next Maelstrom gather, perhaps I can tell you my story - of how a lowly and young adventurer managed to single handedly become one of the wealthiest individuals in our community having little to no personal production means, and not even choosing to adventure much. There is much more to gaining wealth and power here than can be shared over a dream, and I would enjoy sharing some good Selunari Ale with you (for a fair price of course) at my tables while we discuss.
I would like to be at this exchange as well. I have many a curious question as one who's lack of economics and over abundance of ethics this kind of thinking is something I've have trouble wrapping my mind around.

Also Desky is it? I feel you may have lost what you where aiming for. I find Bringing up ones race a test of minds generally shines a bad light on a person. I am not sure we have meet but perhaps take some advice from Half Daft old Humie like myself. "It is easier to spread warm butter then cold"

I look forward to meeting at the next gather.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would like to be at this exchange as well. I have many a curious question as one who's lack of economics and over abundance of ethics this kind of thinking is something I've have trouble wrapping my mind around.

Oh Embrawk - your lack of understanding in economics never ceases to baffle me and will be the death of the boss.

Oh Embrawk - your lack of understanding in economics never ceases to baffle me and will be the death of the boss.
Well your not exactly right . . . But your not exactly wrong. Besides he'll out live us both by hundreds of years so might as well make what short time he gets with us interesting.

He won't get hundreds of years if you give him poor health that causes him an early death!
And if you drink nothing but water and sleep from sunset to sunrise and eat nothing but steamed vegetables you'll live forever. I believe however it's the good ale, spicy potatoes, and nights of excitement and adventure that may make our brief lives worth living.

And if you drink nothing but water and sleep from sunset to sunrise and eat nothing but steamed vegetables you'll live forever. I believe however it's the good ale, spicy potatoes, and nights of excitement and adventure that may make our brief lives worth living.

One of the most fundamental mistakes people make is assuming hard work and suffering bring success, but there is a reason the Gods feast on Ambrosia.

Suffering is only suffering. Hard work is only hard work, else we would all eat rocks and drink mud.

One of the most fundamental mistakes people make is assuming hard work and suffering bring success, but there is a reason the Gods feast on Ambrosia.

Suffering is only suffering. Hard work is only hard work, else we would all eat rocks and drink mud.
Exactly or not at all?!? . . . I am afraid I may have missed you meaning, Desky was it?

I think there a factors about Boss Cam, Resete, Myslef and the rest of the resplendent quails merchanting company and how we operate that may make you rethink or possibly even redefine your outlook in thngs and vice versa. I as of now however with what little you know of us I am afraid your wisdom may not be applicable or perhaps just is not translating well in the format of dream.

This is yet another reason, I look forward to meeting in person at the next gather.

(OoG nothing personal, but please do not reference religions or gods as it is against the rules of the game. Slip ups happen from time to time even to the best of us.)

*Namrik sits idlely by, enjoying his ale. Musing over the babbling flow of baldy words that stream and pool about him.
*Continues to observe those who speak, those who muse, and those who would be twisting flashy words in attempts to control the conversation.

*Tulbor looks for something to throw at Namrik for .... reasons*

Back