Greetings from a no0b in NH

Dangles

Hello, everyone! The name is Dangles. I am from Southern NH, an avid gamer and airsofter and I am raring to get into LARP. After much research, I found Alliance and was quite pleased to see that this is a very active organization and that I am no more than 2 hours away from where you guys play. Being an avid airsofter of many years, I am no stranger to roleplaying as we employ very heavy roleplaying in our MILSIM operations. However, as the title states, I am a complete beginner in the world of LARP and I am hoping that by joining, I will not only find new friends in this new endeavor but likewise be able to receive the proper guidance so that I may start my LARP career on the right foot. So for this I turn to you fine folks.

I saw the events list for 2009, but I figured it might be better if I could maybe participate in some practice skirmishes and such before I show up at an actual event and make a complete fool of myself. Hence, if anyone out there has anything going on, please let me know. I know not the first thing about how to make a boffer, costumes or anything else. What I do know is how to play as a member of a team and have fun!

So if anyone out there, or any team/guild, is willing to take this noob under their wing, I would be more than grateful.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to meeting each and everyone of you.

~ Dangles

Often, the best way to learn the game is to NPC for a few events. This allows you to learn the rules and a range of different abilities as part of various monster groups, and you get to hang out with more experienced players who are the encounter leaders as you get a grasp for the game. The folks running NPC camp are also in charge of running the game as a whole, for the most part, and are pretty outstanding people -- most of them are always willing to answer questions and help you learn.

The only disadvantage to NPCing is that you have to be willing to wear make up. You will paint up and scrub your face clean a few dozen times over the course of an event. However, you won't need a costume -- just plain clothing (I wear black cargo pants and a black tunic from renstore.com, supplementing it with tunics of various colors).

Definitely bring a tent and sleeping bag if you are able. NPC camp in NH does not have a lot of sleeping space -- our chapter is a bit more rugged than others as far as accommodations go.

Edit: Also, aside from your membership fee, NPCing is free. Also, you get experience to apply toward your character so that when you are finally ready to play as a PC, you'll have more skills and such. It's not a bad deal.

Dangles,

My name is Ray and I am the new player contact for Nh alliance: Deadlands. Feel free to write me with any questions you have at:

raydeadlandsplot@gmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you. I will see you hopefully very soon!

Ray

Thank you for such a quick reply and a warm welcome. Since I am currently at work, I am not able to access my email. However, I shall get in contact with you as soon as I get home, Cel.

For now, I am pouring over all the information that I can find on the website and on the forums. Now that I know that NPCs are not merely townsfolk roaming about, the idea of playing a Gobbo (or any monster for that matter) definitely appeals to me. Let's see, I'm short, I don't mind make-up and I can be really sneaky....yeah, I think that'll work...hehehe.

npcing is a blast! and it really helps you learn quickly with out the worry of having another death added to your pc and it helps to build up xp for your pc so your not coming in at a lvl 1. plus we have a ton of fun at npc camp :p im going to be npcing this season so i cant wait to meet you if you do decide to npc your first event or two.

when i started i NPCed for almost 2 years before i finally go around to developing a PC. by the time i was ready i came in game at around level 12-13. NPCing definately has its perks. hope to see you IG soon.

NPC'ing certainly sounds like it would be an absolute blast and a great way to actually get a good handle on the game rules (I'm one of those people that can read something a hundred times over and not get it until I do it, but once I do, it's ingrained in my memory forever).

I do have a couple questions.

Would it be better to continue communications via the Deadlands forum to stick here? Would I still need to buy the rule book if I am NPC'ing (I'm sure the answer is yes, but I figured I'd ask)? What about boffers, are those provided on site for NPCs? Also, is it possible to just attend one day of the 3-day events or just drive up Friday night and leave Saturday evening (I don't know if I will be able to get all 3 days off from work)?

I have other questions but I'll not bore you guys any more.

Thanks.

Dangles said:
Would I still need to buy the rule book if I am NPC'ing (I'm sure the answer is yes, but I figured I'd ask)?
Yes -- you definitely want a book to learn the rules. And the PDF version is only $5.

http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/sin ... 5404-652-1

Dangles said:
What about boffers, are those provided on site for NPCs?
Yes.

Dangles said:
Also, is it possible to just attend one day of the 3-day events or just drive up Friday night and leave Saturday evening (I don't know if I will be able to get all 3 days off from work)?
Whether NPCing or PCing, you can always come and go as you please. If NPCing, you may not get the full weekend reward for only one day of service. Experience is given in "blankets" and an event that lasts from Friday night to Sunday afternoon is worth two blankets -- so NPCing from Friday night to Saturday night would still net you one blanket.

Thank you very much for all the info. I am planning on attending the April game along with my friend so I don't end up being a no0b without a buddy, lol.

Cel, email sent.

Hey man, no fears,

We were all noobs once, and we love noobs.

Veterans are the bones but newbies are the life blood of this game.

Deadlands said:
Hey man, no fears,

We were all noobs once, and we love noobs.

Veterans are the bones but newbies are the life blood of this game.

Just to be a jerkhole I'm going to point out that Gary's analogy is flawed. Bone marrow produces life blood. Noobs are the mutative agents (carcinogens?) that force us to mutate and change with the times and allow us to propagate our twisted genus. Every person who comes in with new eyes can tell us the issues we are blind to, and thus let us old fogies who run the game know what the young disco hipsters want in a game. We'll do whatever we can to make sure the young'uns can play, just don't make us bend too far... our hips ain't what they used to be.
-toddo

Toddo said:
We'll do whatever we can to make sure the young'uns can play, just don't make us bend too far... our hips ain't what they used to be.
-toddo

LOL...well I am hardly young myself. At 35 I can feel the aches and pains that come with age; however, I still pride myself in being able to carry 60lbs for 10 hours straight while traversing ravines and getting into firefights (by BBs of course). Was I immobile the next day? Yes, but that's not the point, :lol: .

Question about XP. How much XP does it take to level a PC (I'm sure it probably scales with level) and how much XP does one receive during an event as an NPC? What if I could only do Fri/Sat....how much XP does that merit?

Dangles,

All of that sort of stuff (xp:bp) Are in the rule book. The pc earns xp at a scaled rate so eventually the progression slows down. At first however you move up in levels very quickly!

Npc's get to use all kinds of stuff (in fact more than is available to pc's. ie: monster abilities)

if i remember correctly XP is based on how many Build points (BP) you have earned. BP is what you use to buy skills and such for your character. The more BP you have the more xp you get per event day. BUT.. the more XP you have the less BP it converts out to. Or something like that. Long story short the bigger you get the longer it takes to get more skills.

Jevedor said:
Long story short the bigger you get the longer it takes to get more skills.

Okay, so basically just like an MMO...except of course, grinding in Alliance is a helluva lot more fun! :D

Dangles said:
Jevedor said:
Long story short the bigger you get the longer it takes to get more skills.

Okay, so basically just like an MMO...except of course, grinding in Alliance is a helluva lot more fun! :D

I actually wouldn't know really. I am pretty biased and opposed to MMO's and never have really played one. I've got a brother who has clocked years of his life away on those games and i just don't want to bother with them. I like interacting with people and its cool to do it online... but 6-8 hours a day on an online game just doesn't seem healthy to me.

All that aside if thats how the MMO's you have played work... then yes. :lol:

Yeah, I was never really big into MMOs myself until I got into Warhammer Online a few months ago. But even then, gaming usually fills the void for me when all my outdoor-social activities closedown for the winter.

Now what I have always been interested in is swordfighting and all that medieval/fantasy combat which is why I am so happy I found this group and I am so psyched to get my hands on my first boffer. I hope I get the chance to try out all the different weapons, especially a bow which seems so much fun!

Is there a place to sign up for the April event in order to confirm my attendance?

Jevedor said:
I like interacting with people and its cool to do it online... but 6-8 hours a day on an online game just doesn't seem healthy to me.

Hey, thanks for stereotyping all MMO players, because you KNOW that every single one of us log in for 6 - 8 hours per day. You are, after all, self-admittedly an expert.

Shane said:
Jevedor said:
I like interacting with people and its cool to do it online... but 6-8 hours a day on an online game just doesn't seem healthy to me.

Hey, thanks for stereotyping all MMO players, because you KNOW that every single one of us log in for 6 - 8 hours per day. You are, after all, self-admittedly an expert.

I didn't stereotype MMO players. I stated I have a brother who plays them in a manner which i do not feel is healthy, and thus I have been turned off from ever wanting to play them myself. No where in there did I say all MMO players do this, nor did I even elude to that.

Back