Greetings!

LouisM

Hello! I am new to LARPing entirely and wish to seek out more information and local groups. I noticed you guys work out of Excelsior. I am a new Minnesota transplant and live in the Twin Cities area, and was wondering if there were any groups somewhat closer, as I do not have access to a vehicle save public transportation.

Greetings Louis, many of us are actually from the metro area. There might be a chance for you to catch a ride with other players to events. Just let the forums here know which event you can go to and what part of the cities you are in and people may reply if they think they can help. -Matt

Louis,

Don't worry. Neither do some of the rest of us! :)

People are friendly and you can ask questions.

--Lou

Louis,

This free pdf book is also a very good resource: http://www.alliancelarp.com/alliancerulebook.pdf

Come and check us out. Being a NPC (non-player character) is a good way to start and get a feel for the game. You will also be able to earn extra experience point for when you are ready to bring out your PC (player character).

--> Chris

Starting next season I might be able to begin Larping, and have a few co-workers and friends that are interested in car pooling with me (as we'll be coming from the Waterloo Iowa area - 4 hours to Chicago or 4 hours to Minneapolis) any pointers on anything we should bring with us? I just e-mailed a copy of the rule book to the group travelling with us.

If you are planning on NPCing then bring comfortable black clothing.
If you are planning on PCing then make sure your costume is comfortable and warm/cool based on the weather.
Footwear is the often loverlooked important part of the costum and must be comfortable. If your feet hurt because you are running around more than you noramlly do, you will not have as good an experience.
Likewise, packing an extra pair of socks, no matter the weather is always good advice.
Bring sleeping gear for overnight stays. Some locations we use have sleeping cabins that have bunks with thin matresses and no sheets or pillows.
Sleeping bags and pillows are a must for the overnight (most) events.
Overnight bag (toothbrush and such)
Snacks - while some snacks and meals are provided, you are burning a ton of calories, and might need something to take off the hunger edge.
I'm sure others will also help out with opinions and suggestions as well.

Hope to see you starting next season,

Thanks everyone for the pointers. I'm torn between a couple of different races and classes so I'll most likely NPC in March to help me decide. But I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of world maps and histories so that I can come up with a potential character history depending on what I decide to play.

Our chapter website is currently being redesigned, but what you are seeking is normally found there. Here is the most recent version of the Southern Minnesota Player's Handbook.

Recent happenings have been in the new settlement of Horizon in the Valley of Solace in the eastern lands of Gaden. It is so new in fact that it is not yet on this map. Contact with Pratorak has been restored and travel to and from is still dangerous but possible. For the rest, FOIG (find out in-game). I only bring those up because the handbook on those major issues is out of date.

Attachments

• Southern Minnesota Player's Handbook (2012 Edition).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back