Greetings

Terrel

Scholar
First off, I'm not entirely sure I'm supposed to post stuff like this...

I'm very new, I plan on attending the September event with some friends of mine, assuming I'm allowed, but the problem is I'm clueless as what to do. I've browsed the mnalliance.com site and used the directions to email for a "newbie marshall" but I never received a reply. Could one of you kind folks direct me to the right path.

While I'm again assuming an official would explain everything....for my first time I plan to NPC so I can get used to everything but I'm afraid I don't have an attire or weapons. I do plan to get some and possibly make some weapons this weekend, maybe find a cloak at this one shop in Anoka, I'm completely in the dark as to if I even qualify for participation.....any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

- Andrew

Hey Andrew,

How are you doing? Glad you found our boards, and really sorry about the fact that you have not been contacted by a Newbie Marshal. Sometimes there is a missed email, and it can tend you hose over the system :) I myself am a newbie marshal, so I would love to help you out further! Feel free to send me a direct email at Brent.Woodward.1@gmail.com, or contact me by text or phone at 952-250-4363. Emailing is usually the best way to get a hold of me at first, and the best way to get a lot of questions done in a clump. :)

To help out a bit right now...Don't worry about weapons for your first event if you are NPC'ing, it is usually better to see the weapons that we use first hand before making them for the first time. As far as attire goes, all you need is some socks, plain pants (like black hospital scrubs, or sweatpants or event plain khakis are fine...just avoid jeans and pants with lots of side pockets and such), a plain shirt, good shoes, and maybe a sweatshirt for when it gets a lil chilly...oh and more socks. Any 'period' clothing you have, or such like that is totally a plus, but for your first time, or times that you are NPC'ing its not really needed as much.

As far as qualifying to play, thats all based on your age really. Thats are only real restriction that can be a hold up. There is a safety test, but that is simply sparing with a Game Marshal after learning the basics of the combat system to make sure that you are not doing any fighting moves that are not safe. As you will probably hear over and over again...we like to emphasize safety :) it just makes everyones game more fun!

Hope to hear from you soon,
Brent Woodward (IG: Hengin)
Newbie Marshal

Yay, more NPCS! Man, soon we'll have a 1:1 PC to NPC ratio, and when that happens, it'l just be awesome!

As Brent says, you don't really need to bring much for NPCing except for plain clothes (dark is always nice as far as color goes), though if you do happen to have any articles of clothing that might look good in-game or accent an outfit in-game, feel free to bring them to use.

As far as not knowing and learning the rules, anything you didn't learn from contacting a Newbie Marshal will probably be learned from the other NPCs/PCs/Marshals telling you at the event. Everyone is so incredibly nice that goes there that, even if you have never been there and don't know any rules, they'll always take the time to help or explain something to you. When I first went, I was rather mystified by the helpfulness of the folks.

Good to hear from new players,
Alexander S. Thompson
In-Game: Gandian Ravenscroft

Hrm sorry for the delayed response, sometimes the e-mails overwhelm our logistics staff at times, especially just after an event or just before an upcoming one. Brent should be able to take care of you, and I'll be keeping a closer eye on the campaign e-mail box now that I've slogged through the recent stack of paperwork. Its always good to see fresh faces at NPC camp, especially as some of our NPCs migrate over to PCing.

Well, I'm all about "RPing" So while I'd love to run around and roflstomp npc minions like I do in DnD, I'm all for getting mobed by PC's and saying "NO LOOT FOR YOU, COME BACK, ONE YEAR" You can all count on me being a valuable asset to the game. I'm also looking forward to meeting some new, awesome people.

Why do people say dark colors? You know how hard it is to fight in the dark when EVERYONE is wearing black? Head/nut shots happen. A lot.

Also welcome!

It helps with NPC sneakiness. Stealthily moving through the forest towards the tavern becomes a bit harder when you're wearing a light shirt under your tabard (which, even in the dark, stands out a good deal). I don't know if NPC sneaking was big for you last event, but there was a lot of it at the July event.

Not to mention black goes with everything, so any accompanying outfit piece looks good with it.

Dark or neutral colors work best. I like dark clothes cause they don't stain easily. If you get into colors, especially with pants, you can confuse folks into thinking you're a gypsy. My usual recommendation is greens (olive, hunter...), browns, or blacks, none of them bright.
We've got a few shirts made up for NPCs (I'm working on broadening that before the next event, don't worry folks) but a flannel or hooded shirt may be a good idea as it is getting colder.

Hi Terrel! Glad to hear that you'll be coming to play with us. I just wanted to put in a small word about camping. Don't forget that this event is at a campground. We tend to stay in cabins, but you will still want your camping gear. A sleeping bag, pillow, flashlight for emergencies, several pairs of socks, something to sleep in that you wouldn't mind too much if you're seen in it...Just because you're NPCing doesn't mean that it's safe to sleep at night. The monster camp can attack at night, so alls fair...Bug spray, a belt and belt pouches would probably be helpful.

Safety wise, I would say "sports equipment" for your own protection...but I don't think the other guys worry about it too much...A stray shot can get painful...

Just sayin...

Jen

My last event I was a little under geared but, I think I finally have it down to what you would need to bring.

Sleeping Bag
Pillow(s?)
Two to three towels.(Showering and getting face paint off)
Two to three sets of clothes
Comfortable shoes/boots
A case of water
Snacks (Better off with granola bars or other things that aren't needed to be cooked/made up but, aren't unhealthyish)
Belt(s?) (Preferably ones that look like they're from the era)
Over 9000 pairs of socks. (Well it depends on weather. If it's rainy, bring about a dozen pair:p)
Nut cup/face mask. You need them because plumber piping hurts when you get hit in bad areas.

That's what I've observed anyway for NPCs. Minus the last part anyway.

Alternatively, you can just run around in your bare feet on rocks/gravel etc. for a year or so to toughen up....

Well, my buddy and I used to choreograph our own lightsaber duels so we hit each other all the time with pipes....without foam.
I also walk around all day every day at my job so I'm used to walking around a lot. I may not look much, but I'm resiliant.

But thanks for the list....I know I would forget something without that, I like to be prepared and since it's an hour away...well....yeah.
I'm also a DM so npc'ing will be pie.....YOU JUST BETTER HOPE I'M NOT A GELATINOUS CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU BE DOOM!

Back