Guilds for makers of potions, scrolls, and alchemistry?

Ondreij

Scout
Do you have guilds in your areas for makers of potions, scrolls, and alchemistry? Do you include blacksmiths in your guilds? What purposes do you hold for your guilds? What kinds of rules do you have for your members? Do your guilds have leaders? If so, how do you choose your leaders? Are your guilds instituted in an edifice? Thank you for your help.

Are there no guilds in other lands for makers of potions, scrolls, and alchemistry? I am incredulous. Or is this a subject which no one is willing or able to discuss? I am looking what others do in other lands so that I may have additional ideas as to how we might make better us of those skills in our own lands.

I am a Master of potions and scrolls, but I have no knowledge of such guilds in my own lands, outside of my homeland in the Eleytherian forest, we have not specific guilds for these things because we have our Patria for the sharing of such knowledge ... these are more like tribes of families than guilds, from what I can understand of the ways of others.

The wind whistles through the rafters, rattling the paper upon which the message is writ. If there is but one who is nearby and has attention drawn to the page, reading its message...

I'm not sure about adventuring guilds but I know a fair amount about guild organizations. If its at all possible a good Guild will request a letter of patents from their ruler. This forces the flow of trade into the Guild's hands. In some lands its illegal for an organized body of traders to build a lasting location and sell their goods in a self employed manner. This is because most ruling bodies want to make a cut off the top. It is their land your working on anyway. This is were the idea of a Guildhall came from. If you pay Guild dues to a ruling body, asking for a Letter of Patents is a great idea!

If you wish to truly be recognized as an Apprentice, adept, Master or any other title you should have your members request a Deed Poll. These Letters are essential for long term Guild growth. They also allow you to possibly bend the local market into your Guild's hands.

Once your recognized as a sanctioned and Letter approved member of the ruling body its time to request that all other trade groups (or Guilds) have a Letter of Patents to continue functioning. This method mite look like bullying but, its a good way to stop outside rivals from stealing your King's coin, since the better you do, the better the body dose!

I know more about structure, foundation, and the tipical fall of guilds. I live in the City of Valdanis, so I see new shops, guilds, and carpenter groups forming every day. Hope this information helped!

Arkade said:
...If its at all possible a good Guild will request a letter of patents from their ruler. ...

This is a big reason why I know so little of Guilds. Where I come from, we do not have Rulers - we do not have Nobility. Any one who has the ability takes on the responsibility for some period of time to guide our people through our various councils.

We have various other types of associations for learning skills and arts and sharing with each other what we know and what we are able to do for ourselves and for others. These associations are voluntary - some of them are transitory and some will, of due course, continue for one's entire lifetime.

Thank you for sharing this information.

Master Ondreij Asclepius

Ondreij said:
This is a big reason why I know so little of Guilds. Where I come from, we do not have Rulers - we do not have Nobility...

Ondreij are you seriously talking about Caldaria? Where a member of your adventuring team is a Noble Knight of the land? Caldaria has a well established legal system and I'm confused as to why you would say we have no nobility there...

- Eldarion Avari

Eldarion,

I do think he is speaking of the lands of his people, not Caldaira as a whole. If I had the time, I would look into the laws in forming a Merchant House within the lands of Caldaira. hmmm...I think I might just do that this season.

travel safe,

Cyric Bane
of Clan Battleforge

Dreamingfurther said:
Ondreij are you seriously talking about Caldaria? Where a member of your adventuring team is a Noble Knight of the land? Caldaria has a well established legal system and I'm confused as to why you would say we have no nobility there...

- Eldarion Avari

I am a native of the Eleytherian Forest, and not, striclty speaking, what you call a Caldarian. While I live among you, for 148 years I lived among my people who, while we have a "well-established legal system" we have no nobility. We are what, you might call, Egalitarians (at least that is the word that I think is used to describe our way of making decisions).

If you must attempt to correct me, maybe it would behoove you to spend more time with me and learn more about me, my history, our peoples, and the ways we feel and think about the world around us.

Learning does take time - but first one has to develop the need to desire understanding for learning does not come out of ignorance; it comes out of the hunger for knowledge that comes out of understanding ones own ignorance.

Ondreij, I have been on the front lines under the command of the Royal Arcanum all winter long. It was not clear that you were talking about your homelands and not Caldaria, I apologize for this mis-understanding. However you might do well to find out what individuals have been doing with their time and energy before you lecture then about their knowledge or lack thereof. I look forward to traveling with you and seeing your master work in scroll craft again soon. I believe you rival even the most skilled scroll masters the Arcanum can boast.

Mage of the Royal Arcanum
-Eldarion Avari

...you know I was going to say something...but I will hold my thoughts...will say this...for team mates...it seems someone is trying to one up someone else.. ;)

Travel safe,

--Cyric Bane
of Clan Battleforge

Back