gypsies and chivalry

"I kinda wonder about the question on acceptance of a gypsy knight. I mean really would a noble trust a gypsy enough to offer/accept fealty from a gypsy? Ultimately its a plot decision of course but I always felt the "downside" of being a gypsy is kinda underrepresented. Most other races (particularly bigoted Humans) don't see them as entirely trustworthy ya know. "

Trust me, it's not all that underrepresented. I get singled out and talked down to/about quite often when encountering new PC/NPC characters I meet, but that is actually a lot of the fun of playing a Rom (that and the snazzy duds).

My gypsy is a good guy too. Really. Honest. He swears at nobles all the time.

For the nobility thing, one of the first PCs to become a noble in HQ (not starting that way) was a gypsy. He was a good knight. Some that followed had people declare them good or bad nobles, depending on what sides of the character people knew. The whole nobility thing, whether you purse a title yourself, or just hang around those who hold rank and title, is,.. well it's just different when you are playing a gypsy. It can be hard to put into words, really. Personally, when I am playing my gypsy, I very much enjoy the company of most nobles, even if I enjoy ribbing Gloriana about her title.

I'd say it is safe to say that Zymm would never work to earn a title, nor would he ever explicityly swear alligiance to anyone, but marrying a noble might be a fun distraction for awhile.

As for mistreatment... I can't say that I remember the last time someone's talked down to Zymm. But, knowing his tendencies, I'd expect that they don't remember it either. :)

I could see a gypsy having a noble title if said title came with cavaets. For example, A gypsy could be a knight if his lord made him a knight that did not hold lands but instead travelled the lands to report back to the lord on the going ons not only of his property but the lands throughout. Include in this the understanding that if a matter comes up with gypsies, that the knight would be on an official 'hiatus' during the matter.

This would make the gypsy more like an information gatherer (a spy but in broad daylight) that was given some power by his lord to help with the aquisition of said information. To me, this would be little different from helping out someone you admire and trusted.

Point in fact, my gypsy just dropped 50 gold with a noble house to help them build their keep - with the understanding that he gets a room there to store his stuff whenever he's in the area and that he's welcomed to all meals. Although he'll help them out whenever possible, he holds no 'official' rank with them.

*sigh*

I have no idea how to comment on this.

From the perspective of my character:
Glorianna started a romani healer. Proud to be a Romani. But then the romani in the chapter I was playing in (HQ) were getting convicted of necromancy and conspiracy to necromancy ... it was embarrassing.

Glorianna met a man named Morgasander. He was a non human. He was larger than life and in a way she fell somewhat in love with him. She believed in him and he inspired her to dedicate her life to the people and to serve them.

Eventually she became a squire, then a Knight. She questions everything about her, including her leige lord a Biata Duke, (scott who posted). She blindly charges in passionately and does many things with her "gut" breaking all sorts of protocol and well... making a right mess of things sometimes.

She always does it with the purest of intentions, and for the good of the people... but yeah. Not usually what the law or the system requires. Mind she hasnt broken the law, just bent it like a pretzel, based on her interpretations. But she loves the people and she believes she is doing what is the best thing for them, by serving as their voice and their advocate.

As a player:
I dont do things easy. This pc is also a dual school scholar and formalist. Its HARD. DAMN hard to play this PC. I get frustrated oog sometimes because OMG I have to dance the line between knight and gypsy, healer and celestial caster, cat herder and follow the characters own passions. Its exhausting.

As with any character.

Make the character. Develop the concept. READ your race packet. Grok the race packet. Make the character make SENSE with the race packet. Make a good character history. Leave a lot of holes for plot to make you weep later.

Then play the game.

Glorianna became who she was because of Duke Aramis, Regeant Morgasander, Queen Sidhraste and Duke Frost. She became who she was because of Shya Corak and Kheritana and Dominick and every other good/bad/crazy pc or npc shes ever met.

And playing her for 9 years is what shaped her, made her, created her, and made her the incomprehensible gypsy noble from Icenia.

It was never the idea from the beginning to "make a romani noble". Cause thats just ********. She fell into this through 9 years of continuous and exhaustive roleplay.

And from a player perspective. I dont understand Glorianna either. When I play my PC she has a mind of her own. She is a ROLE which has evolved into its own set of memories, emotions and motivations. None of which I ever dreamed of when I first created her.

Play. With Passion, and have fun.

Kheri has tried many times to do what Glori has... and always ends up messing it up. But Glori still loves her. ;) And I'm still ticked, to this day, that I was dumb and naive enough (IG and Out) to be convicted of Conspiracy to hide/aid a necromancer. It is something, no matter what noble offers her a clean slate, that will haunt my gypsy (who wants to only do good) forever and ever.

Back